UMass Lowell

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It appears that opponents are getting a lot of points in the paint. Am I wrong? Someone at the games? I mean blocking out and staying in front of your man is really relatively easy.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So one early loss isn't the end of the world. Maybe we can straighten the ship out and maybe Terry and Baye returning will have big impacts.

With that being said, I still cannot for the life of me understand our starting line up and why we are starting Gapare and Abram. Last year we finished the year winning 6 of our last 9 against ACC teams. Yes, there were some bad teams in there but it was still a bit of momentum. We were scheduled to lose Franklin but return the rest. We fire Pastner, do a very short coaching search and bring in a new staff who basically cleans house. However, we did return 4 of our top 5 players from last year's team. But instead of leaning on that core, we have two of them coming off the bench in favor of players that simply have not proven they deserve to be starting. And while people will argue it doesn't matter who starts, it absolutely sets the tone for the team and the game who the starters are. The longer this trend happens the more it just looks like a new coach favoring players he brought in. That is the way you ferment chemistry issues.
CDS’s public assessments of Gapara genuinely has me doubting how impactful Ndongo is actually going to be when he’s healthy.

One pleasant surprise has been Sacko. He’s a bit undersized but a phenom on the defensive end and helps generate runouts (that our guards do **** all with). Not a total black hole on the offensive end either, but there’s some work to be done. He will get better.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Like a wise man once said, it all comes down to free throws. They’re FREE for a reason. Can’t shoot them at 56.5% and expect to win many games. Also, Miles won’t have many games like tonight where he couldn’t throw the ball into the ocean. He’s missed more free throws in three games this year than he missed all of last year. Flush it and move on. Winning or losing this game won’t put us in/keep us out of the NCAA tourney. Our ACC slate will take care of that for us. Learn from it, use it, then start planing for Cincy before Thanksgiving break.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
It appears that opponents are getting a lot of points in the paint. Am I wrong? Someone at the games? I mean blocking out and staying in front of your man is really relatively easy.
You are correct. Our interior defense and our defensive rebounding effort have been sub-standard. We have had much roster turnover in that part of the team. I wouldn't be too judgmental yet but the effort appears to be lacking at this point. As I said earlier, it is a lack of confidence. Fixable.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Not that we should rely on the refs to call the game but sturdy was fouled on his final drive. Not on the block but the guy on the back side swiped across his body and held his left arm keeping him from being able to jump so it was a pretty obvious foul. Yes we would have missed the free throws and yes he shouldn't be dribbling into 5 guys but it wasn't even borderline

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not that we should rely on the refs to call the game but sturdy was fouled on his final drive. Not on the block but the guy on the back side swiped across his body and held his left arm keeping him from being able to jump so it was a pretty obvious foul. Yes we would have missed the free throws and yes he shouldn't be dribbling into 5 guys but it wasn't even borderline
Maybe, but you’ve got to make it obvious in that situation.

I honestly didn’t like the call to iso Kyle. It’s not really his strong suit. I’m surprised Kelly didn’t demand the ball at the end - even after the night he’d had. I feel like sending him to the rim gave us the best chance at a bucket or a foul. Instead we got a turnover.

Oh well - live and learn.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but you’ve got to make it obvious in that situation.

I honestly didn’t like the call to iso Kyle. It’s not really his strong suit. I’m surprised Kelly didn’t demand the ball at the end - even after the night he’d had. I feel like sending him to the rim gave us the best chance at a bucket or a foul. Instead we got a turnover.

Oh well - live and learn.
Thought the play was for a Deebo 3 at the top of the key but I haven’t rewatched. It was covered but I honestly would have liked our odds more with his 3 contested or an ORB compared to a forced drive by Sturdy.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
And I will echo some of the comments that CLAUDE is head shoulders and elbows above anybody else on offense but he is not a legit five on D
I’m assuming you meant above any other big man on offense?

Gapare needs to go on the Moses Wright/Evan Cole in-season development plan. I mean he’s played 40 minutes this season and has 2 points, 6 rebounds, and 8 fouls. Not sure why he’s starting. He needs a reset for his own sake.

I’d like to see more of Dowuona, but that’s probably not happening with Ndongo getting healthy and crowding front court.

Sacko played his best game today. I was extremely impressed with him running a 3 on 1 break and completing an assist on a smooth dish.

I still think Wacie Reeves is the X-factor. If he plays/shoots well, it takes a ton of pressure off Miles Kelly (who’s obviously been pressing all season).

To me, the main issue is this. Our two best offensive players, Kelly and Deebo (who has gotten so much better in all areas), aren’t quick enough creators off the dribble to give this offense enough space to be successful. Sturdivant can’t get downhill quickly either. Abram is more of a perimeter scorer it seems. Deivon Smith gave us that last year and we didn’t replace him with an athletic ball handler who can break a guy down off the dribble (I do think Terry gives us some us that but not enough).

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Thought the play was for a Deebo 3 at the top of the key but I haven’t rewatched. It was covered but I honestly would have liked our odds more with his 3 contested or an ORB compared to a forced drive by Sturdy.
It was if you watch CDS on the sideline pointing to Deebo with the clipboard signaling to Kyle he's right there, you can tell by CDS expression he was not happy with that play.
CDS has made it clear he was going with what had been working & tonight Deebo was working. Kelly was a decoy he was in corner away from the action

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it was for Deebo, they doubled him, Sturdy panicked and drove with his head down instead of swinging it to Kelly. CDS pointed it out to him immediately after the play as Sturdy was walking to the bench.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
So one early loss isn't the end of the world. Maybe we can straighten the ship out and maybe Terry and Baye returning will have big impacts.

With that being said, I still cannot for the life of me understand our starting line up and why we are starting Gapare and Abram. Last year we finished the year winning 6 of our last 9 against ACC teams. Yes, there were some bad teams in there but it was still a bit of momentum. We were scheduled to lose Franklin but return the rest. We fire Pastner, do a very short coaching search and bring in a new staff who basically cleans house. However, we did return 4 of our top 5 players from last year's team. But instead of leaning on that core, we have two of them coming off the bench in favor of players that simply have not proven they deserve to be starting. And while people will argue it doesn't matter who starts, it absolutely sets the tone for the team and the game who the starters are. The longer this trend happens the more it just looks like a new coach favoring players he brought in. That is the way you ferment chemistry issues.

One game sample, but the first 2 lines here are certainly striking.
httpsramblinwreck.comwp-contentuploads2023113-UMass-Lowell-gamebook-111423.pdf.jpeg.png

As for Stoudamire’s strategy I don’t know. My guess was that he sees more upside with the group he’s starting and wants to develop them, but early returns don’t look good.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
One game sample, but the first 2 lines here are certainly striking.
View attachment 15129
As for Stoudamire’s strategy I don’t know. My guess was that he sees more upside with the group he’s starting and wants to develop them, but early returns don’t look good.
Wow, that stat line reinforces what you see casually watching the game. Having Gapare and Abram on the floor at the same time is puzzling. You might as well fork yourself in the eye, it would be less painful. Maybe they get better in time, but right now they're shoudn't be on the floor together.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not that it matters but this is probably a Q4 loss when March rolls around. I don’t see us being in the discussion where that matters anyway.
Sadly, my money is that you were dead on right. I will gladly eat crow if we are on the NCAA bubble.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I won't press the panic button just yet but I'm not pleased so far. This was a loss we probably should've had already because we certainly haven't looked great in the first 2 games either.

Hoping we're trying to establish good habits and letting the bad tape of these games reinforce the point?

Agree with those puzzled about the new guys. I expected better from Abrams, in particular. Gapare needs to never shoot anything but layups.