UIC Weekend

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The rotation (probable): Curry, Hurter, Thomas

UIC has played lessor teams so far...so, pretty hard to gauge what they bring. They do have a relief pitcher (Padilla) whose name appears on some national pre-season honors lists. Their starters have good numbers (so far) this season.. low ERAs, averaging 6-ish innings per start... their staff has given up only 1 HR in 8 games.

Last season in Chicago (pretty crappy conditions weather-wise IIRC), we only got 2 game in and went 1-1. A total of 4 runs scored by both teams over those 36 innings. We won game 1 (3-0) and lost 1-0 in final game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Horizon League ..... UIC had an RPI of 99 last year. Record of 39-17 but helped by an SOS of 259.

But we could only split them last year. This year who knows. If we continue with 1 error or less a game as well as few free-be's, we win series and maybe sweep. We ARE going to average a lot more than 1.5 runs a game. I guarantee that - the weather looks fabulous unlike last year.

Agree that UIC hasn't played anyone who is that good ..... https://d1baseball.com/team/illchicago/2018/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
the weather looks fabulous unlike last year.

Ummm, that may be how you folks further north see it, but with temperatures in the high 50's (or barely scraping into the very low 60's) this weekend, it's too cold for my old bones. (I was born and raised much further south and anything below 70 is chilly and below 60 is cold!!). Although it will be 'bright' (as they say in the UK)....very sunny but chilly or cold).

I may have to cheer from my TV set with the fireplace going...

I know, I know....

Deleted member 2897

I think we should enter this series with the same mentality as Dartmouth. We should sweep it. Teams can sometimes get hot in baseball and so sweeps are not easy, no matter who you play. But if we go 2-1 or worse it hopefully won't be because we beat ourselves. And then its Georgia State. 10-2 would be a hell of a way to walk into Clemson. Clemson has been getting tons of luck all year. They are 8-0, but they beat William & Mary all 3 games by just 1 single run (not a typo). One took a comeback and extra innings. They beat Dallas Baptist once by 1 run. They beat Winthrop once by only 1 run in extra innings. So yes, 5 wins out of 8 by only 1 run.

They play South Carolina this weekend which will give us more info. South Carolina is 6-3 but all 3 losses are the opposite of Clemson - they've lost every single close game and the rest were blow out wins.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
UIC, as I recall was a very depressing series last year. I don’t remember how we lost 1-0 I just remember after it was over feeling like the season wasn’t going to amount to much. Wasn’t the series later in the season last year, after ACC play had already started?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UIC, as I recall was a very depressing series last year. I don’t remember how we lost 1-0 I just remember after it was over feeling like the season wasn’t going to amount to much. Wasn’t the series later in the season last year, after ACC play had already started?
Yes, it was played in late April in that break time when ACC teams don't have a conference series. We lost that 1-0 game on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs to break a scoreless tie. A depressing way to lose a game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's make a deal. I won't talk about last year if no one else does. I know I brought it up but it is not a good feeling to remember.

Here's the GT blurb for the game ..... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/030118aaa.html I scratched my head on this "The Yellow Jackets are averaging 8.1 runs per contest over its first eight games of the year. Over their current five-game winning streak, Tech is scoring on average 14.2 runs per win."

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's make a deal. I won't talk about last year if no one else does. I know I brought it up but it is not a good feeling to remember.

Here's the GT blurb for the game ..... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/030118aaa.html I scratched my head on this "The Yellow Jackets are averaging 8.1 runs per contest over its first eight games of the year. Over their current five-game winning streak, Tech is banging out on average 14.2 hits per win."
Yep... that was some bad journalism! But I think I fixed it. See bolded edits.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, a strike out in that situation does NOT help. That's is McCann's downside. Maybe Kev would have gotten contact?
Not saying Kel would have had a different outcome; however, maybe CDH has luxury of "sending message" with these guys when he has what amounts to an equivalent option to play (or not). Give the last guy to not piss him off... or me off (y)... the next start. ...sort of kidding. :)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Damn Curry is good. Pitched out of a bloop single, error jam. After four 66 pitches, 53 strikes. 6 Ks and 0 walks. Damn.

Hitting on and off, after 3 for UIC pitcher, he has 51 pitches. Sooner we take him out, the better. For this game and the rest. Get to their relief.

We are playing good baseball overall despite 2 errors. Mostly since Curry is so dominating. UIC is playing well too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice shutout. 5-0. @FredJacket may talk about all the stranded runners. But we had some real nice defensive plays.

Pitching great by Curry and Chapman and good by Archer. Curry 77/102 = 3/4 strikes. 8 Ks and a walk.
Archer was good, 2/3 strikes (21/33) but gave up 2 hits and a walk in two innings. Last year that would have been stellar.
Chapman 7/9 and 3 ground outs.

Some clean defensive play throughout with nice outfield play. One error was on not turning a DP. The other was when Curry didn't handle the ball from English (1B) covering an in-field hit.

3 run HR for Carter!! Nice hitting throughout. But UIC played well and tightened up when we had people on.

Can't sweep without winning the first. One down, most important game of the year is tomorrow. Let's see how Hurter does.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice shutout. 5-0. @FredJacket may talk about all the stranded runners. But we had some real nice defensive plays.
Nice win. I missed much of it. No power at the house.... 6 hours & counting. Windy in Virginia today.

The team did mostly good. Lots of positives. I will take it. But I will admit not scoring those guys does bother me too. I'll sit in the dark & get over it, though. GO JACKETS! 6 in a row!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice win. I missed much of it. No power at the house.... 6 hours & counting. Windy in Virginia today.

The team did mostly good. Lots of positives. I will take it. But I will admit not scoring those guys does bother me too. I'll sit in the dark & get over it, though. GO JACKETS! 6 in a row!

Good luck with the power / clean up. I'll be cleaning up a lot of limbs and some shingles this morning to go to the dump....... A lot of wind yesterday. Fortunately, it was a north wester here so we didn't get flooding .......

Watching the game yesterday and recent games, I get the impression that we are much more selective at the plate. We coaxed walks where I don't think that most of the hitters would have had the patience last year.

Their pitcher, Birlingmair, is really good at not giving up walks. UIC averaged 2.5 walks a game last year. We got 5 off of him. And out the walks weren't the cheap type of watch four pitches go by. Of the total 7 walks we got, 4 were 3-2 walks. Three by Bart who really ran up the pitch count with a 6, 7 and 8 pitch walks I wish we could have gotten deeper into UIC bench since that will pay off tomorrow.

And tomorrow Wiley will be back! He's out for the day for some other round ball sport. Let's hope we keep the sweep chance intact for him tomorrow!