UGa legislature at it again

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The new law is being called "Kirby's Law". Kirby spent about 4 hours lobbying the Capital before the vote. The Lt. Governor made the remark that maybe this will bring a Nat'l Championship to the state of Georgia.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The new law is being called "Kirby's Law". Kirby spent about 4 hours lobbying the Capital before the vote. The Lt. Governor made the remark that maybe this will bring a Nat'l Championship to the state of Georgia.
I can understand their anxiety. There have been three national championships won by Georgia collegiate football teams since uga last got one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I live in south alabama (Pensacola)!

During to lack of support by state govt , in late 50's early 60's they voted to leave Florida and join Alabama.

Football Popularity = U of A is way in front. Then its fsu and UF AU not far behind. We are not favorite but well liked as a sentimental favorite.
I lived in P'cola for a spell a while back. Had a great time there! Never knew Mardi Gras existed outside the Big Easy.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Lt. Governor made the remark that maybe this will bring a Nat'l Championship to the state of Georgia.

Absolute worst part of this. The #2 executive in our STATE GOVERNMENT just articulated his support for a piece of legislation allowing for less transparency of public records because he hopes it will help a college football team win more games. UNREAL.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
as much as I'd like to hate on UGA, lol at Alabama (no deadline) and Florida (exempting UF). those are both much, much worse.

Also, I don't necessarily blame UGA. 3 days is a pretty quick turnaround. And I have little reason to doubt the SEC teams wouldn't hire a sweatshop of FOI callers to flood UGA with requests as a strategic advantage . . . and then leak the finding to buzzfeed . . . who play on their audiences "No Taxes Ever (But more police! & more Jobs! & more carpet bombs!) political bandwagon"

I'm all for allowing GT to redesign and automate our entire state's information systems and make all public money digital and open-acccess. But since that will never happen & college football is what it is, I don't blame UGA or GA legislators here.
Btw, the previous "3 days" deadline applied only to acknowledging that you'd received the request and were looking into it...now it's 90 days for them to even acknowledge a request, then they still take even more time to produce the records. Basically, anything comes up during football season and you just wait for the season to end before you have to respond at all. This law is 100% pure BS.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Btw, the previous "3 days" deadline applied only to acknowledging that you'd received the request and were looking into it...now it's 90 days for them to even acknowledge a request, then they still take even more time to produce the records. Basically, anything comes up during football season and you just wait for the season to end before you have to respond at all. This law is 100% pure BS.
This only applies to requests of the University, right? I mean info requests of the Athens PD is still timely?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
"Send me to Hell or New York City, it's all the same to me."

Forced by the government and employment to spend several years outside the South. Love to visit other parts of the country for snow skiing, trout fishing, friends, etc. But it's going to take a hell of a lot of global warming to get me to live outside the South again. Nowhere else has the combination of food, people, climate, wildlife, music, tradition, history, shoreline, literature, flora, football, and a thousand other characteristics that make the arc of land from Richmond to New Orleans the new Eden. Hundreds of thousands of Yankees died to make sure their posterity could move here if they wanted to. And they do want to move here.

If you think there's some Nirvana in the rest of the country to move to, then I wish you well and we'll leave the light on for you because you will most likely be back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Send me to Hell or New York City, it's all the same to me."

Forced by the government and employment to spend several years outside the South. Love to visit other parts of the country for snow skiing, trout fishing, friends, etc. But it's going to take a hell of a lot of global warming to get me to live outside the South again. Nowhere else has the combination of food, people, climate, wildlife, music, tradition, history, shoreline, literature, flora, football, and a thousand other characteristics that make the arc of land from Richmond to New Orleans the new Eden. Hundreds of thousands of Yankees died to make sure their posterity could move here if they wanted to. And they do want to move here.

If you think there's some Nirvana in the rest of the country to move to, then I wish you well and we'll leave the light on for you because you will most likely be back.
Where'd that come from?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Embarassingly, one of the politicians who spearheaded this bill also spearheaded House Bill 757 (the "religious liberty bill"), is the representative for my home town. Of course, he's a UGA grad...so...yeah...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Absolute worst part of this. The #2 executive in our STATE GOVERNMENT just articulated his support for a piece of legislation allowing for less transparency of public records because he hopes it will help a college football team win more games. UNREAL.
At the risk of killing joy or whatever, the angst at such a spurious and blatantly special interest bill is good and I hope it can get something changed. But the issue of secret records and FOI goes way beyond football, into really important actions that affect our daily lives and not always in good ways. Otherwise they wouldn't keep them secret. We should be a lot more upset about that. At least with UGA we can always count on a bad coaching move.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At the risk of killing joy or whatever, the angst at such a spurious and blatantly special interest bill is good and I hope it can get something changed. But the issue of secret records and FOI goes way beyond football, into really important actions that affect our daily lives and not always in good ways. Otherwise they wouldn't keep them secret. We should be a lot more upset about that. At least with UGA we can always count on a bad coaching move.
Secrecy in State government in NC was bad under the Democratic Party, but the GOP has taken it to a new level.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hope our State Government doesn't find a legal way to institute a military style draft by UGag of the best HS football players.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How is this going to help ugag win a championship?
The "rationale" is that the coaches and AA are focusing too much time on fulfilling FOIA requests rather than focusing on their job. This allows them to focus on their job and then worry about the FOIA later.

The real reason is if they do something shady they have time to hide it or it wont be discovered till afterwards and they don't have to suspend any players.