UGA Defense

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am no Boomergump, but I recorded a few UGA games, and thought I would post my thoughts on their defense. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well.

First they base out of a 3-4 look , with some good size at the DE/NT spots. They have a lot of speed at the LB positions, and do a good job of rallying to the ball.

When they play us I would expect them to load the box and play cover 0 or cover 1. You can bet that like Clemson and VT they will try to time the snap and jump the gaps to get penetration into our backfield.

The big difference I have seen with the Georgia defense compared to Clemson and VT is discipline. The UGA defense is young and gets out of their lanes quite frequently. They have had a hard time stopping the run this year, but I would expect them to sell out to stop it in our case. The bottom line is I expect us to be able to run the ball, but we will have to be physical and not make mental errors. The key for us will be getting points early, and not having 3 and out drives.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am no Boomergump, but I recorded a few UGA games, and thought I would post my thoughts on their defense. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well.

First they base out of a 3-4 look , with some good size at the DE/NT spots. They have a lot of speed at the LB positions, and do a good job of rallying to the ball.

When they play us I would expect them to load the box and play cover 0 or cover 1. You can bet that like Clemson and VT they will try to time the snap and jump the gaps to get penetration into our backfield.

The big difference I have seen with the Georgia defense compared to Clemson and VT is discipline. The UGA defense is young and gets out of their lanes quite frequently. They have had a hard time stopping the run this year, but I would expect them to sell out to stop it in our case. The bottom line is I expect us to be able to run the ball, but we will have to be physical and not make mental errors. The key for us will be getting points early, and not having 3 and out drives.
Don't sell yourself short bro. The bar is set pretty low anyway.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If we establish the Bback which we did last year then that should give us some opportunities on the edge. However, we didn't take advantage of them last year.

Sims had a good game last year and so did Laskey. CPJ's offense usually works pretty well when we can consistently get positive yards from the Bback. The other problem was that the game got out of hand fast so we couldn't just keep going up the middle and have a chance to catch up.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it will be equally important to either complete or not take a sack on some early play action passes.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we establish the Bback which we did last year then that should give us some opportunities on the edge. However, we didn't take advantage of them last year.

Sims had a good game last year and so did Laskey. CPJ's offense usually works pretty well when we can consistently get positive yards from the Bback. The other problem was that the game got out of hand fast so we couldn't just keep going up the middle and have a chance to catch up.
LAst year's game flipped on the RG fumble at the UGAg 2 on our first drive to answer their score. It gave them all kinds of momentum and put us behind. They were a better team last year, bottom line. Both teams are different this year. They aren't nearly as good on defense. We are a little better on defense.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
LAst year's game flipped on the RG fumble at the UGAg 2 on our first drive to answer their score. It gave them all kinds of momentum and put us behind. They were a better team last year, bottom line. Both teams are different this year. They aren't nearly as good on defense. We are a little better on defense.
Absolutely, we moved the ball with ease and then the fumble killed it.

I would say our Dline is playing a lot better than last year and the same with our LB's. Our DB's have been a mess outside of Jemea..Hopefully Chris Milton will be healthy and start playing better as well. DJ white got some good experience the last two games.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would say our offense was better last year.
You know, statistically, it really isn't the case, but I agree with you. I guess in 2012 it was more consistent, giving the illusion of being better. There was more stability at the QB position and fewer TOs. I think that was the bottom line, giving the both of us more confidence. The 2012 offense with the 2013 defense would most likely have a better record this year. Here are the actual numbers:
(PPG, Rushing YPG, Passing YPG)
2012 33.6, 311, 130
2013 36.8, 315, 120

It is funny, we all expected the Vad led offense to blossom in the passing game. Lo and behold, TW getting 75% of the snaps produced more passing yards on average in 2012. Go figure.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Boomer (or anyone else), I don't know how much film you've watched on UGA this season, but do you have any thoughts on how UGA's defense matches up to our offense? I personally have not paid much attention to them. Obviously, running the ball is our strength offensively. How does their front 7 look? Will we be matching up our strength against one of their strengths, or has their front 7 appeared so-so this season?

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
You know, statistically, it really isn't the case, but I agree with you. I guess in 2012 it was more consistent, giving the illusion of being better. There was more stability at the QB position and fewer TOs. I think that was the bottom line, giving the both of us more confidence. The 2012 offense with the 2013 defense would most likely have a better record this year. Here are the actual numbers:
(PPG, Rushing YPG, Passing YPG)
2012 33.6, 311, 130
2013 36.8, 315, 120

It is funny, we all expected the Vad led offense to blossom in the passing game. Lo and behold, TW getting 75% of the snaps produced more passing yards on average in 2012. Go figure.
Doesn't the statistics get exagerated by the Elon and A & M's? I guess you could say the 2012 stats were exagerated by the NC game and the cupcake of 2012 but the point is it's hard to say an Offense is better because of better stats.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer (or anyone else), I don't know how much film you've watched on UGA this season, but do you have any thoughts on how UGA's defense matches up to our offense? I personally have not paid much attention to them. Obviously, running the ball is our strength offensively. How does their front 7 look? Will we be matching up our strength against one of their strengths, or has their front 7 appeared so-so this season?
Thanks for asking. I think they are athletic but undisciplined and inexperienced. They have all the talent, or maybe I should say ability, needed to make it a tough day for us, but I am not convinced they will. If you want comparisons, I would say look at Miami. It is a very similar situation size, talent, and speed wise. We looked like we were going to blow the doors off them, but kind of fizzled with mistakes. UGAg is big up front and their LBs can run, like always. In fact, I think the entire match up, offense and defense, sets up a lot like the Miami (with Duke Johnson) game. Their #2 at QB is probably Morris's equal and "Girly" might be the only back in the country better than Johnson. We are going to need to play well to win. That goes without saying.

Did you watch the Humpers play Allbarn? UA gave them fits with the option elements they run. Staying disciplined for them will be the challenge. Remember, they are replacing most all of the defenders that had experience going against us. That sets up well for GT.

The match up we all need to be concerned about is their OL vs our DL and that ball being handed to Girly man. UGA is very very good and physical up front and they can stay on their blocks. You just know Richt has pulled aside their #2 and told him he doesn't need to win the game for them, just hand the ball off and execute a few simple play action throws and screens. We are going to be hard pressed to limit the run game. It is going to take numbers, because, quite frankly, we are weak in the trenches on defense. Roof has done a great job scheming around this fact all year, but you aren't holding many cards when you go against offenses like this one. Get ready because they are going to pound us, and if successful, they are going to keep pounding us. We win if we can run the ball consistently against them and limit possessions, while our defense, somehow, can slow down their run with numbers without allowing some explosion plays through the air. You can forget about stopping their run. It is not going to happen. Clemson had a very good DL with solid NFL type players and even they needed to bring numbers to get them slowed down.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
The match up we all need to be concerned about is their OL vs our DL and that ball being handed to Girly man. UGA is very very good and physical up front and they can stay on their blocks. You just know Richt has pulled aside their #2 and told him he doesn't need to win the game for them, just hand the ball off and execute a few simple play action throws and screens. We are going to be hard pressed to limit the run game. It is going to take numbers, because, quite frankly, we are weak in the trenches on defense. Roof has done a great job scheming around this fact all year, but you aren't holding many cards when you go against offenses like this one. Get ready because they are going to pound us, and if successful, they are going to keep pounding us. We win if we can run the ball consistently against them and limit possessions, while our defense, somehow, can slow down their run with numbers without allowing some explosion plays through the air. You can forget about stopping their run. It is not going to happen. Clemson had a very good DL with solid NFL type players and even they needed to bring numbers to get them slowed down.

I totally agree with this. I still remember being at the 2009 game. It seems like a no-brainer that they would have a similar game plan, especially with an inexperienced #2 QB.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't the statistics get exagerated by the Elon and A & M's? I guess you could say the 2012 stats were exagerated by the NC game and the cupcake of 2012 but the point is it's hard to say an Offense is better because of better stats.
You forgot Syracuse

Stats are stats. They're just like anything else.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Blitz early and blitz often, rattle that youngster at qb for uga. Make him make throw some bad passes and we will get a couple turnovers. Establish the b back and gash their d with the long ball when they least expect it. Uga is a very beatable team. If Vanderbilt can beat them with Aaron Murray, we definitely can beat them without him.