UCF news thread

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Is Gus trying to replicate the tempo of Heupel's offense? If they can do so, then I don't think we'd be able to keep up.
Keep in mind, though—this time we wont be facing AAC refs who are literally tripping over themselves on the sidelines to move the chains and help UCF run high-tempo. We won't be facing a head referee who allows UCF to snap the ball before the head linesman has placed the LOS marker.

slugboy

Staff member
Keep in mind, though—this time we wont be facing AAC refs who are literally tripping over themselves on the sidelines to move the chains and help UCF run high-tempo. We won't be facing a head referee who allows UCF to snap the ball before the head linesman has placed the LOS marker.

That's how I remember the AAC refs too.

Gus was not particularly well-liked at Auburn. On the charisma scale, he's about a 1. He had, as I recall, a decent win rate against Alabama at 3-5. Arkansas was interested in hiring him (he's from there), but I don't think Gus was the least bit interested in going back.

There's no mystery as to why Gus was fired. He committed two cardinal sins. The first was the offense. His offense was not attractive to players who ultimately wanted to be in the NFL. The NFL told him that, players told him that, recruiters told him that. He didn't want to hear it. Recruiting tanked. And on top of that, Gus had a zero interest in developing players. You either had the talent to work in his offense, or you didn't. (These two are the major reasons why Gus was moved out.)

I think he'd quickly rub the fanbase here the wrong way too. Just, from what I've seen of him, I'm pretty sure HIS point of view is that he was misunderstood, the Auburn AA and the boosters stuck their noses into everything, and he wants people to shut up and stay out of his way. There's no reason he'd want to go anywhere without autonomy, and he won't get that at most P5 openings--even, maybe especially, Louisville.

Is Gus trying to replicate the tempo of Heupel's offense? If they can do so, then I don't think we'd be able to keep up.

Malzahn is running Malzahn's offense with Malzahn's tempo. He didn't get hired to be Heupel-lite. That's like asking Mike Leach to run, well, an offense that isn't his. I was surprised that UCF picked him, with the tradition that they had with their existing offensive schemes. But they went in a new direction.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Just remember who TStan's mentor is ... Homer Rice. And Homer used to say, "Don't fire anyone until you have the replacement in sight." Tech cannot go on a coaching shopping spree with all the other teams also shopping. It's a guy either on staff now or someone they are already talking to.
Stansbury won't be here to hire anyone. If Collins is to be fired Stansbury will be gone the same day if not before.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Gus leaving UCF ever. He has $20M and change from Auburn, a great lifestyle in Orlando, a college with an attractive recruiting base and lots of majors. I don't see him trading that for competing and struggling against UGA for talent, resources, etc. There's no upside.
Even getting to compete in the ACC????

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
UCF has a huge enrollment with lots of funky majors in a desirable location. These are things coaches like. Might be hard to buy him out of there.
Yep. For years Miami, Florida, and FSU have regarded UCF as a sleeping giant of sorts. To me, they have a much better program and situation than South Florida or FIU. It will be a challenging road game to say the least. My Florida friends used to look down on UCF but that stopped about the time O'Leary went there and beat UGA in a bowl game. I don't think for a moment that they will replace any of the big 3 in the Sunshine State but they will make life a tad more uncomfortable for all three of them.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yep. For years Miami, Florida, and FSU have regarded UCF as a sleeping giant of sorts. To me, they have a much better program and situation than South Florida or FIU. It will be a challenging road game to say the least. My Florida friends used to look down on UCF but that stopped about the time O'Leary went there and beat UGA in a bowl game. I don't think for a moment that they will replace any of the big 3 in the Sunshine State but they will make life a tad more uncomfortable for all three of them.

UCF is going to the Big 12. That will give them a bigger platform and easier route to the college playoffs. You can bet that if UCF starts winning the Big 12 and making the playoffs, FSU and Miami especially will start feeling more pressure given the circumstances the ACC is locked into.

JacketFan137

Banned
wah, wah wah, we're doomed, wah wah wah, we'll never win again, wah wah wah, no socks, wah wah wah cpj hof coach wah wah wah.

every. single. thread.

Jesus you people are boring.
thread about an upcoming opponent derailed into a bring back the option whine fest. almost got to page 3 this time without pushing that agenda. good work guys you’re improving!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
thread about an upcoming opponent derailed into a bring back the option whine fest. almost got to page 3 this time without pushing that agenda. good work guys you’re improving!
Not one person in this thread has said bring back the option, much less is there a whine fest about it. Perhaps you have something of value to contribute that is relevant to this thread's topic, or were you just here to whine about other posters again?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He cleaned house after CPJ. He can't clean house again. That's not a good look. He has to offer some kind of stability.

I'm thinking it must be bad ... I've received two calls since Thursday asking to renew my season tix. I think I'm up to 16 calls this year? Last year, I think it was 3 total.
I don't know if that was so much TStan as it was CGC wanting to start fresh with an entirely new staff and guys of his choosing. He may have been given the green light by Stansbury to do so (i.e., he may have been told don't feel as if you have to keep anybody). PJ did say Sewak was probably going to retire anyway, and maybe one or two others would have done the same, I think. PJ kept a handful of guys from Gailey's staff, but eventually they moved on.
Even HS coaches I talked to were surprised CGC didn't retain Andy McCollum.

Buzz Preston, the WR coach under PJ, is now on the staff at Thomas University, a small private school in Thomasville. Also on staff, I've been told:
Shawn Jones.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Did the donors push Geoff? I recall that TStan was all in on Ken W and when that didn't work out, Geoff campaigned for the job with GOL support. Maybe you're right. I know they wanted CPJ out.
They interviewed Whisenhunt.
It was during the interview that they came to the feeling that maybe not so much. So Whisenhunt was never offered the job.
I don't' believe anybody except CGC was offered the job formally.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
UCF
Plumlee named starting Qb.
He came from Ole Miss.

Wonder if he left because of Dart coming or reverse?

Supposed to be fast.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska, South Florida, Arizona, Stanford, Colorado, Syracuse and Texas are likely to have coaching vacancies this year. It is entirely possible FSU, WVU, and Louisville will as well. Since GT is not a "destination job" for most coaches, that means we will be low in the picking order for available talent, as all of these schools are either better destinations with more money, or more likely to have lower expectations while a new coach finds his way. I'm not sure this is the best year to be coach searching.
We need to be the first in line. Possibly late October?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We need to be the first in line. Possibly late October?
Of what year?

In this, CPJ was correct (IMO). Tech is much, much closer in mindset, recruiting and funding to a service academy than anything else. We are NOT shopping for a coach who is considering State U. And unfortunately, we have folks calling the shots who think we can take on Alabama and beat them at their own game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he'd quickly rub the fanbase here the wrong way too. Just, from what I've seen of him, I'm pretty sure HIS point of view is that he was misunderstood, the Auburn AA and the boosters stuck their noses into everything, and he wants people to shut up and stay out of his way. There's no reason he'd want to go anywhere without autonomy, and he won't get that at most P5 openings--even, maybe especially, Louisville.

Not really. I like CPJ because he won, not his non-press conferences.

Malzahn would also be fine at Duke, Vandy or GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not really. I like CPJ because he won, not his non-press conferences.

Malzahn would also be fine at Duke, Vandy or GT.
I respect your opinion and always have.

I see the Auburn program up close and personal. Many of my students are athletes.

In short, Gus was not well liked. He was aloof, arrogant, and did almost nothing to endear himself to the Auburn community. To a man, all are glad he is gone.

Would Gus do well at GT? No. Vandy? No. Duke? Maybe.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I respect your opinion and always have.

I see the Auburn program up close and personal. Many of my students are athletes.

In short, Gus was not well liked. He was aloof, arrogant, and did almost nothing to endear himself to the Auburn community. To a man, all are glad he is gone.

Would Gus do well at GT? No. Vandy? No. Duke? Maybe.
…and he often had an exasperated look on his face that made him look like an accountant who was about to miss a filing deadline.