Tyler Davis Drafted

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone remember TE Will Heller? Signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent out of GT, and he would go on to have an 11 year career. His most receptions in the NFL was 29 receptions, second most was 17 receptions. Six of his 11 years he had single digit catches. Point is, Tyler Davis's career will be what he makes of it, and being in the right system and creating a role for himself. Heller created a role by being a good blocker and contributing on special teams. His niche earned him 11 years in the NFL. You don't need to be an athletic freak or run a 4.4 to have a long career in the NFL at a TE...you just have to find your role and then do it well.

If anything, his one year at GT experiencing all the adversity and keeping a great attitude will help him immensely as a Rookie fighting to for a roster spot. Good luck to TD!
I’d take 10 years at the NFL minimum salaries and retire very rich.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’d take 10 years at the NFL minimum salaries and retire very rich.
10 yrs at the NFL minimum gets you about $8M. I’m guessing this is a somewhat higher (maybe 25%) than the career earnings of your average GT grad. Then there’s the $7500/mo you get at 55 which is a good deal. There’s also something like $60k put into an annuity starting at year 3 and and they match 2:1 for 401k up to like $25k.

So at 10 years they’ve put half a mil into an annuity for you plus you’ve contributed $250k to your 401k and the NFL matched you another $500k. That’s $1.25M before appreciation you can retire on, you got $90k/yr pocket money and theoretically you should have been able to amass another $1-2M maybe more from your earnings.

If you’re not dumb you can be fairly well off for sure.

You just have to be immensely physically gifted, extremely hard working, self-motivated, lucky enough not to get maimed and smart enough not to piss all your money away!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
So the portal actually resulted in a draft pick for us. I thought it would have taken one away from us with Parker Braun. But doesn’t look like he will he drafted.
Parker didn't have a great season at Texas. He would have had much more impact at Tech. I wonder if that would have made a difference in his NFL prospects, or if he just doesn't have the physical tools they are looking for.

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone remember TE Will Heller? Signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent out of GT, and he would go on to have an 11 year career. His most receptions in the NFL was 29 receptions, second most was 17 receptions. Six of his 11 years he had single digit catches. Point is, Tyler Davis's career will be what he makes of it, and being in the right system and creating a role for himself. Heller created a role by being a good blocker and contributing on special teams. His niche earned him 11 years in the NFL. You don't need to be an athletic freak or run a 4.4 to have a long career in the NFL at a TE...you just have to find your role and then do it well.

If anything, his one year at GT experiencing all the adversity and keeping a great attitude will help him immensely as a Rookie fighting to for a roster spot. Good luck to TD!

From what I hear, Heller fought hard for the last few years of playing time. They make a huge difference for your retirement. He should have an annuity on top of his pension plan, and his pension starts at 55.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx

Starters don’t usually make the minimum, fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Darn...I tried.
Honestly, people took my post out of context. I was reacting more as a jags fan, seeing as how this thread is draft focused. I hope Tyler lights it the f*ck up. I’m glad he was a part of our program, and I’m forever a fan of the way he conducted himself on, and off the field wearing white and gold. I just think better TE options were on the board at the time. I’d love to eat crow.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, people took my post out of context. I was reacting more as a jags fan, seeing as how this thread is draft focused. I hope Tyler lights it the f*ck up. I’m glad he was a part of our program, and I’m forever a fan of the way he conducted himself on, and off the field wearing white and gold. I just think better TE options were on the board at the time. I’d love to eat crow.

This is a draft thread, yet it's in the GT Football forum, not the pro one. (Not knocking you, just stating why fury rained down upon thee)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Q. Who's projected to be the 1 and 2 tight ends for the Jaguars? How solid is the projected depth chart at that position? Could it change?

Shipley: As of right now, Tyler Eifert and Josh Oliver are locks to be the top two tight ends on the team's roster. Behind them, it's a bit more murky. James O'Shaughnessy led all of the team's tight ends in all stats in 2019, but he sustained a torn ACL in Week 5 last season that could hamper him at the start of the year. Behind him is Davis and Charles Jones, a second-year UDFA who caught one pass last season. Davis could be the No. 3 tight end early on if he can beat out Jones, who Jaguars simply didn't use much last season. Things will be complicated whenever O'Shaughnessy does return to the field, but the order looks set now.
Q. What do you think the Jaguars saw in Davis that they liked?

Shipley: I think the Jags liked his athletic background since he's a former quarterback. They have a lot of members on their roster who used to play the position, and Davis is just the latest addition. Aside from that, I think it was his character and leadership skills that won Jacksonville over. Head coach Doug Marrone even mentioned that a number of coaches he talked to gave him good reviews on the kind of person and player Davis is.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Love to see this pick for TD, as well as for our program! Just magnifies the narrative of Coach Collins that we are molding players to play at the next level, whether they be recruits or transfers. Also happy to see that Nate has his chance to show what he can do at the next level, also with the Jags.

Is it just me, or does the fact that Jaguars coach Doug Marrone coached at Tech from '96 to '99, (as TE coach and OL coach), with Collins being on staff as a GA from '99 to '01, have any impact on these picks/signings?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Love to see this pick for TD, as well as for our program! Just magnifies the narrative of Coach Collins that we are molding players to play at the next level, whether they be recruits or transfers. Also happy to see that Nate has his chance to show what he can do at the next level, also with the Jags.

Is it just me, or does the fact that Jaguars coach Doug Marrone coached at Tech from '96 to '99, (as TE coach and OL coach), with Collins being on staff as a GA from '99 to '01, have any impact on these picks/signings?

Probably didn't hurt but doubt it was some big positive.

This is pro football. Nothing similar to the politics of moving a h.s. kid from the jv to varsity.

If an nfl staff thinks a player can produce even the very slightest amount - they don't give a damn where you are from, went to school, your degree, or who your coach may know. Those are niceties but, in the final analysis, of no consequence in the bigger scheme of things.

Last edited: