Tyler Davis Drafted

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Super happy for Tyler. Took a big chance on GT based on only what our coaches had to say. From a statistical standpoint he didn't have the year he envisioned when he committed to us, but he was always positive and played hard. Now he's one of limited number of college players that can say he was drafted by the NFL.

You want to hear what pure happiness and joy sound like?

Let's make this about Tyler. Congratulations, TD!

Love the emotion

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Davis was a predicted late round selection. If you see his film, he can carry defenders and the ball across the goal line.
To put it another way, Tom Brady could make Davis an all-pro.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes Davis was obscure at Tech. We didn't use him. It was probably almost as much of a shame as not being able to use the
great Calvin Johnson because we didn 't have a QB who could get the ball to him.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Why cant we just be happy for one of our own getting drafted? The only one who got drafted at that.
GT player gets drafted.
GT fan response "How'd he get drafted? He's not a pro caliber player."
GIFs-202022405748.gif

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to Tyler! Really ought to be the poster child for CGC's program. The coaches really did some research into what he was lacking physically to be an NFL tight end and helped him achieve it. I'm sure he impressed on the interview front as well. You don't have to be a big producer in college to get NFL attention, but I really think CGC is making that transition a lot easier by changing our relationship with scouts and actively identifying the tools the NFL looks for in every individual player.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Davis gets drafted in the 6th and Thaddeus Moss (Randy Moss's son) TE out of LSU who caught 2 TD's in the title game...goes undrafted. I don't understand football
How many players has GT had over the years that played way above their supposed ranking? How many high draft picks flamed out? Jag saw something in Tyler that made him better than anyone else at that point. Tyler’s job to make the opportunity pay off now. His foot is solidly in the door.

Kevin Cone made an NFL roster. There’s probably a hundred or more players each season that caught more passes in 1 game than Cone did his 2 years at GT.

I’m for any GT football player that has success anywhere- in the Boardroom, court room, operating room or football field. Hopefully in the future it’s football success first, then success elsewhere later like Derrick Morgan, Megatron, etc.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Projected he could make $3.5 Million over 4 years if he makes the team. I think he gets somewhere around $120,000 signing bonus but anything after that is strictly dependent on making the team. A lot of late round selections never make a roster but sometimes they end up like Tom Brady, multi millionaires, trophy wife and immortality.

Go Jackets!

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
As a Jags fan, I agree.
Can we not just be happy for the guy? Who cares about "is he really a pro" this or "idk why the jags picked him" that. Bottom line, one of our players who was in a position we've been missing for over a decade, just got drafted in the first draft since switching offensive schemes. Theres too much negativity in this thread for an event like this

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Davis gets drafted in the 6th and Thaddeus Moss (Randy Moss's son) TE out of LSU who caught 2 TD's in the title game...goes undrafted. I don't understand football
Moss had surgery for an injured foot recently. Plus he’s considered a little undersized.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Can we not just be happy for the guy? Who cares about "is he really a pro" this or "idk why the jags picked him" that. Bottom line, one of our players who was in a position we've been missing for over a decade, just got drafted in the first draft since switching offensive schemes. Theres too much negativity in this thread for an event like this
I’m extremely happy for TD.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss where I said I’m happy for him? I am a tech fan, but I’m not a delusional one.

How many TD catches did Antonio Gates have in college? How many yards did he have receiving in his senior year? Here's an easier question to answer... how many football games did he play in during his college career? Sorry that's a trick question. The answer to all of them is zero. He didn't play at all in college. My point is not that Tyler has anything in common with Antonio other than both being TEs. My point is that if NFL teams think you have traits they can't coach AND that you are coachable then they do a pretty decent job of finding you. And Tyler has very good size and ran pretty well for a a guy who is 6'4"/250 (4.65), is a good blocker, and showed at UConn that he can catch the ball. He looked really good at our pro day. And he revived the TE position at GT which is not an insignificant accomplishment.

I actually get the skepticism coming from a Jaguar fan. That is not in any way meant as an insult and I'm not trying to be patronizing (and if the tone of this post came out that way then I apologize, I truly didn't mean it that way). It's more a reflection of understanding what it's like to be a fan of a team where you think the coach and/or GM are terrible and don't know what they are doing. I really get that. I've felt that way for a lot of years as a fan of Washington for all of my life. So I really do get that. And I get that Tyler didn't have a ton of catches. But at least one team felt he had potential so for the moment he's a pro. And I hope he balls out!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember TE Will Heller? Signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent out of GT, and he would go on to have an 11 year career. His most receptions in the NFL was 29 receptions, second most was 17 receptions. Six of his 11 years he had single digit catches. Point is, Tyler Davis's career will be what he makes of it, and being in the right system and creating a role for himself. Heller created a role by being a good blocker and contributing on special teams. His niche earned him 11 years in the NFL. You don't need to be an athletic freak or run a 4.4 to have a long career in the NFL at a TE...you just have to find your role and then do it well.

If anything, his one year at GT experiencing all the adversity and keeping a great attitude will help him immensely as a Rookie fighting to for a roster spot. Good luck to TD!