Two no doubt amateurish ideas on our passing game

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1) Seems like I have read that we have recruited some fast receivers in recent years. I assume our starters are there because they run block pretty well, know their assignments, and are better all around. But if it is third and seven and the other team is expecting a pass anyway, why not trot out the two best receivers we have at pure pass receiving? I know it gives the play away, but if we are going to pass anyway, let's get some guys out there who are hard to cover.

2) We may already be doing a little of this. Make the primary role of the wide receivers to be decoys. They are responsible for taking the cornerbacks away from where the ball is going. Put in our two best pass receiving A backs, and tell Justin to look for them to be open first.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
1) Seems like I have read that we have recruited some fast receivers in recent years. I assume our starters are there because they run block pretty well, know their assignments, and are better all around. But if it is third and seven and the other team is expecting a pass anyway, why not trot out the two best receivers we have at pure pass receiving? I know it gives the play away, but if we are going to pass anyway, let's get some guys out there who are hard to cover.

2) We may already be doing a little of this. Make the primary role of the wide receivers to be decoys. They are responsible for taking the cornerbacks away from where the ball is going. Put in our two best pass receiving A backs, and tell Justin to look for them to be open first.

in theory it looks like the Abacks should be able to beat the LBs-right? it isn't happening much--a lot because of pass blocking--we can't do it well enough I think

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are trading away WR ability for blocking ability - even on passing downs (if such a thing exists for PJ). None of our WR 3-deep are really going to run by anyone. Of course it could be that the WR recruiting has really been that bad. MLD is a perfect example. Good rb, good blocker. Not a good receiver or at best a possession type that should be a slot type not a 1/2.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are doing better and better at getting ab and bb into pass routes.
They are simple routes now but by then end of year they will be very effective.

Last year we had the ab go long!

I think we are trading away WR ability for blocking ability - even on passing downs (if such a thing exists for PJ). None of our WR 3-deep are really going to run by anyone. Of course it could be that the WR recruiting has really been that bad. MLD is a perfect example. Good rb, good blocker. Not a good receiver or at best a possession type that should be a slot type not a 1/2.
MLD IS a good receiver, but only for short yardage situations, which unfortunately we don't use much, if at all. He is definitely a good rb and blocker.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
MLD IS a good receiver, but only for short yardage situations, which unfortunately we don't use much, if at all. He is definitely a good rb and blocker.

He has great hands, but he is not meant to be out wide. He isn't fast (relative to CBs) and he isn't tall enough to be a jump ball or fade threat. He is out there right now just to block.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Like I said, he is good for short passes, which we seldom, if ever throw.

I'm not sure he is even good at that when he's split out wide. I don't think he has the speed to drive corners off on short routes like a comeback or out. He probably would have a hard time getting inside leverage on a slant. I simply think he is out of position. He needs to be an a-back or at best playing in the slot off the LOS in our equivalent of a 3 wide set.

I'm not sure he is even good at that when he's split out wide. I don't think he has the speed to drive corners off on short routes like a comeback or out. He probably would have a hard time getting inside leverage on a slant. I simply think he is out of position. He needs to be an a-back or at best playing in the slot off the LOS in our equivalent of a 3 wide set.
Won't argue about where he would probably be better, but according to a friend who coached him in HS, he DOES have speed.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

It's not the receivers!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was at the Duke game Saturday. They threw it 54 times and most were 5 to 10 yard quick throws with a 6'-5" QB. UVA started looking to bat the pass down at the LOS in the second half since they could not get pressure on the quick routes. They knocked down at least 6 or 7 passes at the line. JT would have problems throwing over the line unless it was done when unexpected. The Duke QB was locking on his receiver from the snap so the linemen just jumped when he threw it. JT would need to roll out to get a passing lane and punish a crashing LB or corner. We are going to see a lot of dinky 5 to 10 yrd passes at Homecoming against Duke. Neither team ran the ball well so both will likely pass a lot against us. I hope we will be better prepared for that than I have seen from our D so far.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow

WE SHOULDN'T BE USING A BACKS AS RECEIVERS IN PASSING SITUATIONS!!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
WE SHOULDN'T BE USING A BACKS AS RECEIVERS IN PASSING SITUATIONS!!
Why not? I think Lynch is an outstanding receiver and so is Searcy. Both run quite well after the catch. I think Lands-Davis would be an excellent A-Back receiver (I know he's a WR this year). I think there are several other A-Backs that have excellent hands. Lining up Lynch, Searcy, Stewart and Jeune as 4-wide, you've got a potent quartet, with decent speed and good hands all around.

I think Searcy and Lynch are as good as any other receiver we have on the team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Why not? I think Lynch is an outstanding receiver and so is Searcy. Both run quite well after the catch. I think Lands-Davis would be an excellent A-Back receiver (I know he's a WR this year). I think there are several other A-Backs that have excellent hands. Lining up Lynch, Searcy, Stewart and Jeune as 4-wide, you've got a potent quartet, with decent speed and good hands all around.

I think Searcy and Lynch are as good as any other receiver we have on the team.

Some folks need to learn to turn the caps lock off and learn a little something about Tech's offense.