Two Newish Pass Concepts in Spring Game

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Slant/Flat - successful completion to Smelter

Goalline Fade - incomplete to Waller, IIRC.

Slant/Flat is one of the more natural combinations for our formation but we have never run it much (if at all). The slant route is harder to connect on than the flat, but Byerly did a good job.

The goal line fade is probably a little overhyped by Joe Fan and I don't see much need for us to run it inside the 10 - we are pretty efficient just running the ball in from that close. However, in the spring game I think we threw this one up from about the 15. Makes you wonder if we commit to running it in actual games

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It seems to me if teams are going to bring 7 or 8 within 2 yards of the LOS, like they did at times last year, the slant has to be there. No?

We've all been calling for it since forever. I'm sure they're aware of it considering our D gets victimized by them constantly.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems to me if teams are going to bring 7 or 8 within 2 yards of the LOS, like they did at times last year, the slant has to be there. No?

Not necessarily. If the DB lines up on the inside shoulder of the receiver, the slant wouldn't be there. In that case, you would either want to adjust to an out, an out & up, or a straight fly pattern. Correct?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. If the DB lines up on the inside shoulder of the receiver, the slant wouldn't be there. In that case, you would either want to adjust to an out, an out & up, or a straight fly pattern. Correct?
True, depending on the cushion given by the DB.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Problem is those take longer while the slant is quick. If teams are sending that many people, you need something that will hit quick because the QB won't have but a second or two to get it out. A fade could be quick, but the percentage would go down. Should still be able to hit that quick fade though because it will be one on one and we're assuming the CB is lined up inside.

Also, as the OP points out, the quick out by the AB to the flats should work well with the WR running off the CB on the slant and the CB already playing it inside. The flat route should be good. Kind of depends on how the defense is accounting for the AB on their blitz/coverage.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

correct. just hit the flat route or wheel if they both read the same coverage

Last edited:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the slant.

Not a fan of the fade, at least for us. I think the pass is much more difficult that it looks. If you have a super accurate passer, it can be a good call. But in our scheme where passing is somewhere down the list of quarterback attributes, it is a pretty risky play.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
On the chalkboard, slants are great and easy and all that. In real life, you've got to account for defenders and the fact that the timing can be tricky on the route.

Combining the slant with the flat route by the AB gives you a natural rub on the flat defender and also gives you a quick read for the QB: throw here or here.

I don't like it v. disciplined Cover 2 teams. Cover 1 and Cover 3 are more attractive. Still, if a defense is good, it's not ever easy. The question is always risk/reward: what's the expected completion percentage and expected gain? If it's a 60% pass for 10 yards, maybe it's not worth it. If a guy like Smelter can average 15 yards though, maybe you like it.