Two early season indicators of success ?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From what I gather, Woody's scheme is dependent on a dominant nose guard. The last interview I saw with him was not too encouraging on this front.

Coaches are never going to be too positive in the Spring when they want a competitive position battle in the Fall, imo.

I also don't think the scheme relies on one position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me, the biggest indicator of success on offense will be the performance of the "battery", the center, qb, bback. I will be watching the dive, whether called or read, for an indication of this. We must be able to get a good 3 to 5 (5 moreso than 3) regularly on this play. Last year, the good teams on our schedule were able to snuff the dive, more or less, without involving their second level players. That is the death nell of the option.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coaches are never going to be too positive in the Spring when they want a competitive position battle in the Fall, imo.

I also don't think the scheme relies on one position.
Woody has been complementary of other players/positions he's felt good about and his body language backed it up. The opposite was true for nose. I disagree about your second point. Everything I've read and seen, including interviews with Woody, indicate the huge importance of a dominant nose in his scheme. We obviously need other players to make the D work, but without a good/great nose, it makes everybody else's job more difficult.

Woody has been complementary of other players/positions he's felt good about and his body language backed it up. The opposite was true for nose. I disagree about your second point. Everything I've read and seen, including interviews with Woody, indicate the huge importance of a dominant nose in his scheme. We obviously need other players to make the D work, but without a good/great nose, it makes everybody else's job more difficult.

um yeah, Cheese is obviously right. Dominant 3-4s are so largely because of a havoc-wreaking NG. It kinda all starts there. It's also one reason I feel bad for Woody because we clearly haven't recruited that position well, primarily because Roof didn't play a 3-4.

slugboy

Staff member
For the Nose Tackle, he seems to be OK with the size and athleticism, but technique is another story: https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...t-end-spring-practice/9Fxy05wuGV3ySHU9vPEhbO/

I’m not sure if that’s for the press or if he’s shooting straight.

I seem to remember that he doesn’t need a giant 5 star, but this old App State article looks like he needs a beast who can disrupt and take up two blockers too: https://247sports.com/college/appal...E-THE-TRANSFORMING-OF-APPS-DEFENSE-105241900/

He needed to steal a player from the OL to make his scheme work at App State.

He seems to rotate a lot, and may need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For the Nose Tackle, he seems to be OK with the size and athleticism, but technique is another story: https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...t-end-spring-practice/9Fxy05wuGV3ySHU9vPEhbO/

I’m not sure if that’s for the press or if he’s shooting straight.

I seem to remember that he doesn’t need a giant 5 star, but this old App State article looks like he needs a beast who can disrupt and take up two blockers too: https://247sports.com/college/appal...E-THE-TRANSFORMING-OF-APPS-DEFENSE-105241900/

He needed to steal a player from the OL to make his scheme work at App State.

He seems to rotate a lot, and may need to.

Thanks for the link! These quotes from the article don't give me the warm and fuzzies:

He said the defensive line’s body types and skill sets are a little different than what he typically plays, as defensive linemen in his 3-4 have to be a little quicker and faster.

He is in search of a difference-making nose tackle. Chris Martin, Kyle Cerge-Henderson, Brentavious Glanton and Brandon Adams are among those working at a position he considers critical.

“We’ve got some bodies that are working hard and have a chance to get there, but, still, we’re in that fundamental phase, still teaching those fundamentals to where those guys can be at a difference level than where they’re at now,” Woody said.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for the link! These quotes from the article don't give me the warm and fuzzies:

Yeah, I thought I remembered that Woody didn’t need the same kind of recruits, so I thought the focus might not be as intense on the NT. Then I thought “I’d better look”.

Kinda scary combined with David Hale’s position group rankings—he only likes our linebackers. Hope he’s badly wrong and we’re much better on defense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IN THE PAST
NG or Tackles had to stay in lane for 2 and and LB for 3 counts The DL almost always was head to head w a linemen (protect the lb). They would hit straight on , then read(peak), then go. The lb was to read play, float along line if clearly away, but be read and close of DL in front.
Usually by 4 seconds if a run the DL was in the lb lap . If it was a dump pass in the flat. the dl was still at the LOS.
As i understand , we no longer will play w master rule of EVERYON KEEP EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF U.

Now we are going for some level of disruption on the otherside of the LOS.
Under the Speed Disruptive Defense (SDD which sounds better than the Woody Defense ), the DL and LB will move in a pre- planned move @ The SNAP.

Sometimes all will be doing SDD, sometimes only a few , and sometimes none. My coaching son's hs team runs this defense and he says one of the keys is actions taken after the disrupter finds he is not where the play is going. He must react and move quickly to support because the play is no longer in front of him and the our guys behind him are on an island. While Brent and Swilling are ideal for standing in the gap (for a second ) the dl guy has to get back to help.

Son says plays lots of dl players due to intense effort needed . In hs their are very few back up dl in general. So when he sends in the lessor guys they don't run the SSD in that area. The lessor guys do a lot of defensive holding.

For gt this SSD will give the opposing qb a lot more to consider in a lot less time! Qb may improve his stats on big plays, but at least it won't be by pitch and catch.

THIS SEASON
Early in the season we play weaker teams w new qbs. Hopefully the offense dominates and their new qbs give us some pic 6s!
Fortunately those teams with experienced qb come mid to late in the year. Uga, miami, duke and maybe vt have quality experienced qb w some good w r.

In those games we should get a glimpse of the true SSD as by then the full play book is implemented.

( Clemson is a special case = we have no chance unless the offense shocks the world against thier dl. )

This year we get to watch
1. The offense that has upperclassmen who have an attitude.
2. The defense which will be exciting because its new to us AND our opponents.
3. Coach who will have extra edginess to show that his offense can win biggly.

For me this season is going to be exciting from toe meets leather to the uga post game interview.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think the USF game is the early season biggie no matter how good/bad they are, it's an away game on National TV and IMO, we need confidence builders.
Definitely a trap type game for us. Actually glad it’s at noon and not a night game. A solid G5 program playing an ACC team, you better believe Coach Strong will have them ready to go. Question is how ready are they for our type of O that early in the season?

Pitt will be coming off a huge game vs Penn St.
an upset win could be followed by a major let down and a bad/blow out loss could be demoralizing to them. I think we catch them at the right time but I’m sure Narduzi will remind them of last seasons beat down from us.
I’m expecting/hoping for 3-0 going into the Clemson game. Sitting at 2-2 going into the BGSU game makes the season a little more tricky.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Checklist for 2018.
Have Adidas make good uniforms.
Announce the Uniforms with a good video, with a DMO speech.
Beat USF.
Head into Clemson game 4-0.
Try to at least keep Clemson game close.
Head into VT game undefeated in the costal.
Beat VT.
Play Miami at Home for Costal Championship.
Beat UGA in Athens, Again...
Win Bowl game.