Two early season indicators of success ?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am really getting psyched about the upcoming season. Lots of reasons to be optimistic , IMO. Of course , most every team is feeling the same way at this time of the year.
For me, two things I will be watching very closely coming out of fall practice and into the first few games are :
1) What is the status of questionable OL - Marshall and Cooper specifically? And are we at least starting the season with good depth and a reasonably solid 2 deep.
2) Will we see more takeaways and TFLs from the D ? Granted we may not want to show all our wrinkles in early non- conference games, but I want to see an aggressive attacking attitude, dialed up a notch - or three.
What say you ??

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The offensive line is always the key to EVERY successful offense. I think getting Kenny Cooper back 100% is a critical component of this offensive line being able to operate on all 8 cylinders. If he's not ready then that creates issues in the middle as we get lighter in the a#@ with the alternatives who have been playing center this spring.

An aggressive defense will be a first on the Flats under CPJ as every coordinator has been plain as vanilla. While we don't need a blitz on every down Tenuta approach, my thoughts preliminarily are that under Woody we will play more folks to keep everyone fresh and for the first time in memory start creating some depth and experience on the defensive side of the football.

We all know we're gonna put up 400+ yds on the ground vs most of our early foes. What I'll be watching is how much separation our WRs are getting and how well TQ throws it. This area has to be solid if we want to win more than 6 games.

On D, we need to be in the backfield early and often against the cupcakes and generating TOs. Both will be a welcome change from Roof and both are also necessary if we want to win more than 6 games.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We all know we're gonna put up 400+ yds on the ground vs most of our early foes. What I'll be watching is how much separation our WRs are getting and how well TQ throws it. This area has to be solid if we want to win more than 6 games.

On D, we need to be in the backfield early and often against the cupcakes and generating TOs. Both will be a welcome change from Roof and both are also necessary if we want to win more than 6 games.
+++ Total agreement

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you guys are right about the first 3 games, but USF and Pitt on the road are not going to be easy. I actually saw some early odds (don’t mean much) that had USF favored by 2 and Pitt by 4. I don’t think it will happen but the odds are significantly higher we will be 1-3 after 4 games than 4-0.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I hope you guys are right about the first 3 games, but USF and Pitt on the road are not going to be easy. I actually saw some early odds (don’t mean much) that had USF favored by 2 and Pitt by 4. I don’t think it will happen but the odds are significantly higher we will be 1-3 after 4 games than 4-0.
Pitt is going to suck i think they go 4-8 this season

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Offense
Last year we had 4 seniors on offense and one Sham started season as a back up.
The early away games are crucual.
Mature teams find away to win. We have asked for and finally gotten an aggressive d .
The offense needs to carry the defense till mid year. Minimum missed assignments in the ol, please.

Will be looking for the defense and the offense to have a complete game about mid year. An *** kicking of Louisville and or Duke would tell us we have a new direction.

If we take till late in year getting it done during the last 5 games with Mia , vt, uga could be tough.

slugboy

Staff member
Kick coverage and QBR.

If we’ve got good kick coverage, we’re deep as a team and well coached. It’s where rough edges show up on our team.

A good QBR would show that we’re completing worthwhile passes, and hopefully that we’re getting enough effective passing to compete. Receiving and QB play are two of the areas to watch this year.

I’m tempted to throw in 3rd down conversion percentage on Defense (or on offense too). That’s been an Achilles heel for us on defense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There’s not a game on our schedule we can’t win imo. Big thing for me is all the experience returning on the OL and A backs. Add that in with TM in his 2nd full year, if he can just complete 45 percent of passes which is about an 8 percent jump and make 2-4 better reads per game our offense could be close to the 2014 year. This would make offenses press more imo and with a more aggressive D it should help them in creating negative plays and turnovers. If these things happen GT could easily have a 2014 type season. That’s why I’m so optimistic about this season, because the things I just mentioned are very reasonable, let’s just hope we put them all together. I’ll also add getting Clemson early is good imo.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Kick coverage and QBR.

If we’ve got good kick coverage, we’re deep as a team and well coached. It’s where rough edges show up on our team.

A good QBR would show that we’re completing worthwhile passes, and hopefully that we’re getting enough effective passing to compete. Receiving and QB play are two of the areas to watch this year.

I’m tempted to throw in 3rd down conversion percentage on Defense (or on offense too). That’s been an Achilles heel for us on defense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
++++

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am really getting psyched about the upcoming season. Lots of reasons to be optimistic , IMO. Of course , most every team is feeling the same way at this time of the year.
For me, two things I will be watching very closely coming out of fall practice and into the first few games are :
1) What is the status of questionable OL - Marshall and Cooper specifically? And are we at least starting the season with good depth and a reasonably solid 2 deep.
2) Will we see more takeaways and TFLs from the D ? Granted we may not want to show all our wrinkles in early non- conference games, but I want to see an aggressive attacking attitude, dialed up a notch - or three.
What say you ??

If we win our first three, we could be in position for a special season. Given the difficulty of the schedule we just about have to win all three of them which is doable but will be challenging. Line depth, will be a critical factor. I will believe it when I see it. Defense? No one knows. Could be better...could also be a lot worse as we did not lose many players off last years defense but the ones we lost were pretty good. Last year we gave up about 26 points a game or thereabouts? I will be happy if we can increase our TFLs and takeaways along with shaving a point or two or three off the average points per game. Georgia Tech is acknowledged by many "experts" as being one of the most difficult teams to handicap before the season. I can see why they would say that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Since there is so much talk about the first 3 games. I’ll go ahead on record as saying the first 3 games will present no issues at all and we will win all 3 with ease. JMO, but you can go ahead and bank on it lol.