Twitter Whiners.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

It's unclear whether he means Chop block (which is already a penalty in college) or a Cut block (which would impact 100% of teams on all levels)

Then we have the whiners.

Then one guy is saying Chop blocks aren't 100% illegal in NFL. Someone with more rule knowledge would have to confirm since I don't know.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I love it. Because if you look how we block versus the back side of every running play or running back blocking the rush end they are cutting. But we own it plus we run 80% of the time. So larger sample size.

Tears of the whiners makes me stronger.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The way I understand it, some chop blocking is legal in the NFL. They are considering doing away with the few instances where it is legal. The idiots hoping that this trickles down to the college level already got their wish about 35 years ago when it was banned completely. It still amazes me how many people struggle with the cut block vs chop block concept. It really isn't that complicated.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The way I understand it, some chop blocking is legal in the NFL. They are considering doing away with the few instances where it is legal. The idiots hoping that this trickles down to the college level already got their wish about 35 years ago when it was banned completely. It still amazes me how many people struggle with the cut block vs chop block concept. It really isn't that complicated.

Wait, so the choice for these "fans" is (a) do some homework and understand the difference or (2) blindly/ignorantly complain along with the other lemmings whenever we lose to GT.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Did some digging and NFL still has situations where chop blocks are legal.

a chop block is legal on running plays when (i) the blockers were aligned next to each other on the line of scrimmage, (ii) the blockers were lined up anywhere on the line and the flow of the play is towards the block

Most of the casual NFL fans are having the same reactions thinking chop = cut.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol. If u eliminate cut blocking you will kill OL protection and qb safety in the passing game exactly the opposite of what the nfl is trying to do. I lol to think of a rb having to now block a de or lb one on one straight up. Lol.

What they may kill though is open field cuts altogether.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. If u eliminate cut blocking you will kill OL protection and qb safety in the passing game exactly the opposite of what the nfl is trying to do.

My first start in HS was at left offensive tackle in a shotgun spread passing offense. The DE lined up against me had already committed to Tenn. probably had 3-4 inches, 20-30 lbs, and a lot more speed on me. Anywho, first play I threw a perfect cut block on him. I kid you not, the rest of the game, he just yelled "watch the screen" pre-snap & played what appeared to be a self-assigned QB spy. . . If we ran screens, they didn't tell us simple linemen folk.

TL;DR cut blocks save QB lives.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What always gets me about this is that, when I was in high school and college, cut blocking was offensive blocking. You always tried to cut the guy in front of you. This was largely because the holding rules were so strict; if your hands left your jersey, it was holding. Result = spear the guys who were smaller and cut everyone else. This is how the Bammer teams of the '60s were so successful with OLs that averaged about 210 lbs a man.

Ok, getting rid of spearing was a great idea and long overdue. Oth, getting rid of cut blocking would be a suicide pact for QBs and outside running plays. Let's not go there.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm of the opinion that Adam Schefter knows the actual difference between a cut and a chop block. As has been stated, this is probably about getting rid of the high/low in the free zone in NFL and has absolutely zero to do with cut blocking.

The idiots who are moaning about GT have no clue what they're talking about. So let them talk...it just proves their ignorance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's bad enough for the fans, but inexcusable for the football professionals: coaches and announcers. So many think chop and cut are synonymous. It hurts us because there is a prevailing theory that GT and the Academies are dirty and that theory colors the officials to the point where they are looking for it. The slightest hint of a high/low gets flagged, even when it happens because the defender in question is holding our guy.

In a game where holding could be called on every single play, the refs have to be judicious with their interpretations of penalties. All the bad mouthing our offense gets in the press eliminates the benefit of the doubt and we see more flags that other teams doing the same stuff. Not fair, but oh well, the whiners and bitchers will whine and *****.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
You forgot to give Napoleon credit!

I am Napoleon !
BUTIAMNAPOLEON1-e1273460801407.png

Milwaukee

Banned
I responded to one of those yahoos on twitter; after a couple of attempts to justify his stance the guy pretty much said the reason he wants "chop" blocks banned is because he thinks the TO is "boring as hell".

But he swears that he knows the difference between cuts and chops. He said that cuts are still too dangerous, and stated that the zone running scheme is the only other scenario where a cut block takes place on a football field.

I had time this morning.