Tweet from Cerge

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I hate Twitter with a deep and burning hatred seldom seen in the Western Hemisphere. I think Cerge's longer post makes it all clear and that he'll come back with a bullet next year. We need him back to his old tricks; a Cerge/Glanton combo at DT would be formidable and would immediately allow Branch to move out to SDE where he belongs.
Don't forget about Adams and Martin too. That's a pretty nice 4 man rotation with potentially Dawson, TK, or Smith receiving some playing time. Then we could have Branch, Owens, and Alston as larger DEs with St. Amour and Merriweather as the speed guys. We have a lot of depth for once on the d-line.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope he's not leaving. I thought he came on later in the year after losing PT earlier.
I know "context" is a dirty word on message boards, but here is Kyle's Instagram post.

IMG_8752.jpg
This statement by KCH is why you go to Tech in general. How many of us, even the non athletes, “grew up” under Ma Tech’s demands? I for one did and cannot even imagine doing it as an athlete. KCH - totally proud to say you are a Jacket! And know that you will be there for your family in so many great ways after you get out of Tech! The things that matter most is what you are focusing on now. Ma Tech will prepare you for all that gets thrown at you.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
For once I would like to see us line up with someone whose true position is SDE. I love the fight all our guys brought. But we always seem wayyy undersized there. Branch would be a beast there.
That's why I would like to see Owens stay outside. In addition to Branch being moved out there.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget about Adams and Martin too. That's a pretty nice 4 man rotation with potentially Dawson, TK, or Smith receiving some playing time. Then we could have Branch, Owens, and Alston as larger DEs with St. Amour and Merriweather as the speed guys. We have a lot of depth for once on the d-line.
Secondary will also be tall and athletic next year. We may get beat some because the guys will be young, but we will be much more athletic.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Secondary will also be tall and athletic next year. We may get beat some because the guys will be young, but we will be much more athletic.
Vic and Brant will be seniors too which should mean that the LB core is better and hopefully it means that the defense will be lined up correctly.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Vic and Brant will be seniors too which should mean that the LB core is better and hopefully it means that the defense will be lined up correctly.
I'd normally go along with this line of thinking but given the fact that our LB play, as a whole, has been bad for the last couple of seasons, I'm not expecting much difference. I was more excited about Brant 2 years ago after his freshman season, than I am now. I don't want to turn this thread into another Roof thread, but it's hard to deny that since he's taken over coaching the LBs, our LB play has stunk.

If we have a new DC or LB position coach next year, what I just said goes out the door.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'd normally go along with this line of thinking but given the fact that our LB play, as a whole, has been bad for the last couple of seasons, I'm not expecting much difference. I was more excited about Brant 2 years ago after his freshman season, than I am now. I don't want to turn this thread into another Roof thread, but it's hard to deny that since he's taken over coaching the LBs, our LB play has stunk.

If we have a new DC or LB position coach next year, what I just said goes out the door.
That's why I added the words "should and "hopefully";). I completely agree with what you saidf about Roof though. I wish that he would let McColloum take over the linebackers again if no changes are made.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That's why I added the words "should and "hopefully";). I completely agree with what you saidf about Roof though. I wish that he would let McColloum take over the linebackers again if no changes are made.

If a freshman linebacker is surrounded by veteran linebackers, is it possible he might have a more limited role/responsibility than the vets? If they leave the next year and the now sophomore "appears" to under perform; could that be caused by a decline in talent / experience around him? Might it be due to having an expanded level of responsibility / having more on his plate to deal with?

Nah...it's always just coaching.

Do you know? Do you know if that player is now responsible for calling LB alignments or relaying called plays or audibles for the D?

Have you broken down his film and graded his play for assignment responsibilities, gap responsibilities, good or poor fundamentals, made or missed tackles?

Or are you basing your analysis of LB play on our success on D overall? Or on stats? Or what? Just "Roof sucks?"

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If a freshman linebacker is surrounded by veteran linebackers, is it possible he might have a more limited role/responsibility than the vets? If they leave the next year and the now sophomore "appears" to under perform; could that be caused by a decline in talent / experience around him? Might it be due to having an expanded level of responsibility / having more on his plate to deal with?

Nah...it's always just coaching.

Do you know? Do you know if that player is now responsible for calling LB alignments or relaying called plays or audibles for the D?

Have you broken down his film and graded his play for assignment responsibilities, gap responsibilities, good or poor fundamentals, made or missed tackles?

Or are you basing your analysis of LB play on our success on D overall? Or on stats? Or what? Just "Roof sucks?"
I didn't say anything bad about any of the players or even Roof. I feel like the LBs were better when McColloum coached them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I didn't say anything bad about any of the players or even Roof. I feel like the LBs were better when McColloum coached them.

That's fair. But it's also fair to say there are many factors that go into the success, or lack thereof, any team or unit.