Tulane

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Playing tough, but letting Tulane hang around.

Q fouls out with just under 4 to go. Tulane in double bonus.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We're working on a 4min scoring drought with just a bit over 2min to go.

We're not playing to win yet.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Glad we stepped uo int he final minutes. I thought we let them hang around too long. MGH had to play way too many minutes with 4 fouls (but how about him taking that charge with 4 fouls, wow!!). A win is a win though, and I am glad we were able to put them away.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
They couldn't guard MGH. Wish he would have asserted his will on the game a little more (I know he had 19 points.) It seemed like he could drive the lane and get a shot whenever he wanted even double covered.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Played pretty well in general, although we had a 4 minute scoring drought where I think it wouldn't have happened if we'd stayed aggressive instead of working a bit of shot clock. We were up about 7-9 points with 4 to go when that started. Probably could've pushed it up a bit, but instead the drought started.

That said, at key moments we seemed to make plays. We had great contributions from all senior starters, as well as Q & Jorgy. The defense, while still needing work, did look better. Finally, it was clear we wanted it & were hungry, while Tulane seemed to generally sulk down the stretch.

Despite Pete Gillen pumping up both of these teams, I have no idea how good Tulane will be by year end, but great to go on the road for a win.

Hope they get a bit of rest during finals before 2 big tests against VCU & UGA that will tell us how well we can hang with excellent guards.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Like the balanced scoring from our big 4 seniors along with Q providing a lift for the 2nd unit. We only had 2 assists in the 1st half thus a lot of one on one drives to the basket.

Still have some concerns about our PG play, both offensively and defensively, going into the ACC season. The freshman PG for Tulane, #11, seemed to consistently blow past whoever was guarding him and getting to the paint. Wish we had that kind of 'change of pace' PG though I support our guys. It will be very important to get a potential lead PG in the 2017 recruiting class since our guys have one more year together.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Technology is great... Allowing time shift... Just watched.
Moments of looking real good along with the ugh stretches.
Defense seems to be moving well.
Travis's shooting scares me.
Q is getting better, but still has a long way to go.
MGH is real good.
Thank God for our transfers or we'd be in the crapper.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see it. However I did play their guard (Dabney?) on FD give. Given Our perimeter d struggles. That was a win win

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Like the balanced scoring from our big 4 seniors along with Q providing a lift for the 2nd unit. We only had 2 assists in the 1st half thus a lot of one on one drives to the basket.

Still have some concerns about our PG play, both offensively and defensively, going into the ACC season. The freshman PG for Tulane, #11, seemed to consistently blow past whoever was guarding him and getting to the paint. Wish we had that kind of 'change of pace' PG though I support our guys. It will be very important to get a potential lead PG in the 2017 recruiting class since our guys have one more year together.

I only saw the stats.To win vs good teams the GUARDS have got to shoot better--even Smith was 4-12.
If we don't get a TOP PG guy in '17, Tech basketball will struggle for another ? yrs.

slugboy

Staff member
Nice game in that we had a chance to lose but didn't. Great change from last year.

Thanks for the link, but what is a "bunny"? Lay-up / short shot? @~2:15 CBG said we missed 4 bunnies.

5 more games this year to enjoy before the ACC. Being ranked #42 isn't too bad ....... https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets/
I think it's originally from Al Ciraldo. He was from up north, and the snow would fall before the rabbits changed coats from brown to white--so you'd be able to see brown bunnies hopping in the snow. If you were hunting and missed the bunny, you'd really screwed up. It's an EASY, EASY shot.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it's originally from Al Ciraldo. He was from up north, and the snow would fall before the rabbits changed coats from brown to white--so you'd be able to see brown bunnies hopping in the snow. If you were hunting and missed the bunny, you'd really screwed up. It's an EASY, EASY shot.
I think you are right that the first time we GT people heard the term was from Al. Of course, that is where I first heard most of my sports terms. One of the things most people might not know about Al was that he was the top ad salesman at WGST for decades.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Basketball, more than most team sports, is about match-ups. Our guards are not good defenders, so teams with good offensive guards are better against us than they might be against a weaker team that has good defenders out front. Tulane's guards scored all but 14 of their points.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I think you are right that the first time we GT people heard the term was from Al. Of course, that is where I first heard most of my sports terms. One of the things most people might not know about Al was that he was the top ad salesman at WGST for decades.
Absolutely. I was a young manager type and he would walk into our company every week and walk out with the radio spots for that week. This happened every week.