Tucker Gleason Enters the Transfer Portal

First, Simms is the QB and I think with some more experience, and a change of scheme will be quite good. Now for the notion of QBs transferring. Think back through the years of GT football...when have we ever had a really good or great starter that had a number 2 maybe just a bit less. The only time I can think of is 2013 with Vad Lee and JT5 and maybe 2018 with Taquon and Oliver. Just go back to Hamilton years, yes Godesy turned out to be good but he wasn't as close to Joe until he could get more reps in. Washington came into his own but he was not Nesbitt. We need to just have a number 2 that can adapt when they have to come in. Fact is this is and will and was always the case. Thus I say if you are in a situation like we are, don't go out and recruit a top QB right now. Look for number 2s because 1 he either will not come to Tech, or will transfer after 1 year.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
First, Simms is the QB and I think with some more experience, and a change of scheme will be quite good. Now for the notion of QBs transferring. Think back through the years of GT football...when have we ever had a really good or great starter that had a number 2 maybe just a bit less. The only time I can think of is 2013 with Vad Lee and JT5 and maybe 2018 with Taquon and Oliver. Just go back to Hamilton years, yes Godesy turned out to be good but he wasn't as close to Joe until he could get more reps in. Washington came into his own but he was not Nesbitt. We need to just have a number 2 that can adapt when they have to come in. Fact is this is and will and was always the case. Thus I say if you are in a situation like we are, don't go out and recruit a top QB right now. Look for number 2s because 1 he either will not come to Tech, or will transfer after 1 year.
Good thing you’re not coach

Good thing you’re not coach
So explain what is wrong about what I said....look no further than 70 miles east and you see what happened there. Most kids will look at a situation like ours and will not even come to Tech, knowing that the starter is here for 3-4 more years. And it looks like the coaches are doing this, the one QB we signed is a 3 star...smart guy but no offers like Simms had.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
So explain what is wrong about what I said....look no further than 70 miles east and you see what happened there. Most kids will look at a situation like ours and will not even come to Tech, knowing that the starter is here for 3-4 more years. And it looks like the coaches are doing this, the one QB we signed is a 3 star...smart guy but no offers like Simms had.
I agree to a certain extent, yet Clemson, UGA, Bama, and others sign 5-star QBs even when there is already a 5-star starter with 2-3 years left.

I agree to a certain extent, yet Clemson, UGA, Bama, and others sign 5-star QBs even when there is already a 5-star starter with 2-3 years left.
Kind of, Clemson signed a 5 star last year, who is a freshman, probably knowing this would be Lawrence last year. Same with Bama. UGA signed nobody, they had to use a transfer. Also just look at Clemson, they went from Boyd, to Watson, to Lawrence, all spaced about the same.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
What you’re saying is go all in on a QB and then purposefully recruit another who is as good so he won feel like he can be as good? Then when guy #1 graduates or leaves early or gets hurt we just soldier on with someone who isn’t good enough to run the offense until we get a new guy and start his development all over? Not a good plan if you want to be consistently good.

What you’re saying is go all in on a QB and then purposefully recruit another who is as good so he won feel like he can be as good? Then when guy #1 graduates or leaves early or gets hurt we just soldier on with someone who isn’t good enough to run the offense until we get a new guy and start his development all over? Not a good plan if you want to be consistently good.
No, right now Simms is a Freshman. He may be here 4 more years. What I am saying is going into his junior year look for the next guy. And of course make sure you have a number 2 who can manage the game. Before this transfer happy world I wouldn't have said this but fact is...a great quarterback would not come into this situation and if he did , being falsely promised playing time...he would transfer...Justin Fields.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
No, right now Simms is a Freshman. He may be here 4 more years. What I am saying is going into his junior year look for the next guy. And of course make sure you have a number 2 who can manage the game. Before this transfer happy world I wouldn't have said this but fact is...a great quarterback would not come into this situation and if he did , being falsely promised playing time...he would transfer...Justin Fields.
No one is promised playing time and they know who is already here when they commit. Good players think they will win the job. The other issue is injuries. If we only have guys who can “manage the game” we limit the team if the starter is missing. No one recruits like this.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying they aren’t wanting to get a degree when they get here. I was referring to the impact the value of a degree had on their decision making process.

I had the opportunity to play at the next level for a bit before coming back to finish my degree. I can tell you that my mindset was drastically different when I came back to finish school. Most guys (while they are competing) do what’s necessary to keep them on the field and or other potential incentives. For example, freshman had to have a 3.0 or higher to be able to move off campus when I was there.

To your point though, we have a lot of things in place to make sure our guys are going to class and getting the work done. I commend the AA on that. Seems like it’s gotten even better than when I was there as well.
It is always a case of maturity. We all mature at our own pace. The less mature still believe that "All that glitters is gold." The more mature knows better, but doesn't stop pursuing a dream until it is time to do so.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If you were a Tech athlete, you should have your checkmark on here!
I’m not worried about that. I just like to chat on here.
It is always a case of maturity. We all mature at our own pace. The less mature still believe that "All that glitters is gold." The more mature knows better, but doesn't stop pursuing a dream until it is time to do so.
I think this can be the case with some. Some are just looking for a chance and know that as long as they do okay while they’re playing, they can come back and finish.

I’m just one example, but played with many at GT. I think we had 15-20 guys get drafted during my 3 years. Most went in the top 10 rounds. That doesn’t guarantee a big signing bonus, but does guarantee a legit shot with whoever signs you. It also provides for the rest of your education to be paid for (typically in the contract).

I can’t speak on the mindset of a high 3 star and whether it’s rational for him to think that way. I would imagine all 4 stars and 5 stars have the same mindset I and most of my teammates did coming into GT. And to me it’s a rational and a mature mindset.

Use the school for an opportunity to showcase your ability, try to win a championship, take a chance at the next level if you get one, and then come back to finish your degree.

That’s just my take on it though.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You're argument is to recruit players who are worse so that they are more likely to stay, right after we had a transfer from a QB that fits that description.

You recruit the best players you can. If they leave, then they leave and you deal with it. You don't purposefully hamstring your own recruiting for fear that a guy you might land might transfer if he believes he is too good.

You're argument is to recruit players who are worse so that they are more likely to stay, right after we had a transfer from a QB that fits that description.

You recruit the best players you can. If they leave, then they leave and you deal with it. You don't purposefully hamstring your own recruiting for fear that a guy you might land might transfer if he believes he is too good.
No my point is don't waste time going after a QB that probably will see the situation and not commit any way. Also don't promise him playing time. And recruiting is not always going after some 5 star, it is recognizing players that fit the system and or can be trained into that system and perform. Many 4 stars have never played a snap because they didn't fit.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No my point is don't waste time going after a QB that probably will see the situation and not commit any way. Also don't promise him playing time. And recruiting is not always going after some 5 star, it is recognizing players that fit the system and or can be trained into that system and perform. Many 4 stars have never played a snap because they didn't fit.

So instead waste time recruiting a worse QB who is okay with the prospect of being a career back up? We just had a lower rated QB recruit transfer out. Just because a player is lower rated doesn't mean they are more likely to stay in the situation. And just because a guy stays doesn't mean he's a guy you want running the show.

A coach shouldn't eliminate his program from contention out of fear of a player not being interested. Recruit the best players, if there is no returned interest then move on. If there is then try to land them. If you land them and the transfer because your situation is so good they don't see a path to playing time then you deal with it. That isn't a bad thing. So Justin Fields transferred from UGA. So UGA shouldn't have recruited him to begin with and instead gone after what, some lower ranked recruit more likely to sit for a while and wait his turn? Like Stetson Bennett? Did that work out well for UGA?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So what you are saying is to recruit exactly the way we see now?