Triple Option

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
An almost 12 minute touchdown drive. That’s beautiful. Offense across the field getting cold, muscles tightening up, losing focus.
Hopefully the defense isn’t doing the same then ;) maybe that’s why cpj could never field a defense ;)
I’ve always heard that long waits on the sideline impact offense more. They have to all be razor sharp to execute the timing on plays. Defense is more about reacting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here’s to getting better athletes. We need the M. Burnett’s, D. Morgans and J. Dwyer’s. Difference makers is what wins games these days.

Guys like KJ Miles. Patience people.
Some people always like to say that CPJ did much better with Chan Gailey recruits. Whether true or not I still remember how we looked with those Gailey recruits against Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Iowa ate us alive on both sides of the line.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Me too BUT the TO belongs at service academies and directional schools.
Yeah, but wouldn't it screw with some minds, if we got CPJ to teach our backup QB and some backup linemen his offense. Let Sim's do his thing most of the game, but we trot out the flexbone one or two series every game. Defensive coordinators everywhere would have their heads explode!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but wouldn't it screw with some minds, if we got CPJ to teach our backup QB and some backup linemen his offense. Let Sim's do his thing most of the game, but we trot out the flexbone one or two series every game. Defensive coordinators everywhere would have their heads explode!
Ralph Friedgen used to do that. Would line up in the wishbone.

I was looking at Tech’s 1990 season on the internet and noticed that Tech was described as running a “pro-style” offense. I thought that was odd given that in 1990 pro teams did not have running quarterbacks or option plays. Yeah, Friedgen confused EVERYONE with what he was running.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Ralph Friedgen used to do that. Would line up in the wishbone.

I was looking at Tech’s 1990 season on the internet and noticed that Tech was described as running a “pro-style” offense. I thought that was odd given that in 1990 pro teams did not have running quarterbacks or option plays. Yeah, Friedgen confused EVERYONE with what he was running.
I loved watching Friedgen's offense! Just a thing of beauty.....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some people always like to say that CPJ did much better with Chan Gailey recruits. Whether true or not I still remember how we looked with those Gailey recruits against Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Iowa ate us alive on both sides of the line.
Pretty sure the '14 team was no Gailey's recruits. I would agree he did better defensively with Gailey's recruits.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Me too BUT the TO belongs at service academies and directional schools.
I'm not sure why anyone would say this. TO offenses have always worked wherever they are used. Tech usually averaged 30+ points a game; our problem was always on D during Paul's time.

The probelm isn't the O; it's finding coaches who know how to teach TO offenses. There are still a lot of coaches who know how to teach double option plays, but knowing how to coach, especially, QBs and OLs to run a real TO calls for skill set that is rarer these days. That doesn't have diddly to do with the effectiveness of the TO, however.

Btw, I know that some kids don't want to play in a TO. Still, Paul usually seemed to get the players he needed to make the O work. Again, the D - and getting DCs - was another story

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They also hated playing Tech because - and many said it - we were the most physical team on the schedule. Why? No "grab and dance" blocking; Tech actually, you know, hit people. On every play. All over the field. I used to especially feel for the DBs; was <your favorite big Tech WR here> going to go for a pass or clean your clock with a block? Oh, the suspense!
Look up Demaryius Thomas quotes when asked why he was so successful in the NFL. He always said something along the lines of working on the beating up the corner every every play the ball wasn't thrown his way, just wearing them down. There's a reason the NFL loved CPJ receivers.

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
....these days. That doesn't have diddly to do with the effectiveness of the TO, however.

Btw, I know that some kids don't want to play in a TO. Still, Paul usually seemed to get the players he needed to make the O work. Again, the D - and getting DCs - was another story
It will be the same hardship CGC will face if he finds some success here. Given he's a defensive guy, I expect it will the the other way around, until Tech ponies up for legitimate coordinator. It's a classic case of chicken and egg though, which comes first? More funding, or success before more funding?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why anyone would say this. TO offenses have always worked wherever they are used. Tech usually averaged 30+ points a game; our problem was always on D during Paul's time.

The probelm isn't the O; it's finding coaches who know how to teach TO offenses. There are still a lot of coaches who know how to teach double option plays, but knowing how to coach, especially, QBs and OLs to run a real TO calls for skill set that is rarer these days. That doesn't have diddly to do with the effectiveness of the TO, however.

How is it working for Navy last and this year?