Triple Option

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Those pitt and post pitt games were awesome
What I thought was awesome about the Pitt game in 2014 is that I have seldom seen a team with equal talent on the field give a game away so quickly and completely. I was pretty sure that the Pitt coaching staff thought about sending an assistant over to our locker room in the middle of the second quarter to be sure we didn't have a voodoo priest in there sticking pins in a Panther effigy.

Ok, I keed, I keed. The main thing was that we took such complete advantage of every opportunity they gave us and they gave us plenty of them. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on screen when I watched the game.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 pre Pitt season was bad.
Barely beat 2 teams - ga southern and vt and then lost to good duke team and a crummy unc.

Then we added a new wrinkle - all large ol that did not cut block- one that drove the defenders back.
The sr heavy skill players were awesome.

Southern and VT were not bad teams that year by any stretch of the imagination. There were a lot of good power five teams that would have struggled with Georgia Southern in 2014. They had nfl caliber defenders an NFL line backer. 3 330 lb plus defensive lineman. An NFL running back in Matt brieda and A QB who might have been one of the best option QB's ever in ellison (if he had ran the flex his entire career he'd be talked about like reynolds.)

VT was a phantom clip call (eh you could call it but it really looked more like hill tripped) from not being close.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2014 pre Pitt season was bad.
Barely beat 2 teams - ga southern and vt and then lost to good duke team and a crummy unc.

Then we added a new wrinkle - all large ol that did not cut block- one that drove the defenders back.
The sr heavy skill players were awesome.

And at halftime against WOFFORD we were up by a whopping 1 point. 10-9. Only 1 TD scored against Wofford in the first half in the first game of the season. I remember one of my buddies checking the score at half and saying that it was time to move on from CPJ. It's funny in hindsight after seeing us destroy Miss State in the Orange Bowl but the beginning of that season was vastly different than the end.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And at halftime against WOFFORD we were up by a whopping 1 point. 10-9. Only 1 TD scored against Wofford in the first half in the first game of the season. I remember one of my buddies checking the score at half and saying that it was time to move on from CPJ. It's funny in hindsight after seeing us destroy Miss State in the Orange Bowl but the beginning of that season was vastly different than the end.

It's amazing we played in the Orange Bowl in 2014. We were the number 4 bowl pick from the ACC. ACC Champion FSU was in the playoff. Miami and UNC had the tie breaker over us in the Coastal, but were being investigated by the NCAA and declined the trip to the ACC Championship game-- and ultimately the Orange Bowl (which UNC probably regrets doing).

Miss State didn't want to be there after being ranked No. 1 at one point in the season. They lost their DC (Geoff Collins) before the bowl game, who took the DC slot at UF.

Johnson's teams went 2 games below .500 in FBS contests for the 4 seasons prior to 2014. It was time to move on, but the GTAA overreacted as they tend to do, and gave him an extension and a raise after the Orange Bowl.

A somewhat unrelated comment: Temple was number 35 in total offense in 2018 with Patenaude as OC. GT was number 65 in total offense in 2018 with Johnson as OC. (FBS games only). GT lost its starting QB, top 4 receivers, leading rusher, and two best OL (Braun and Shamire) from that 2018 team. No wonder Johnson decided it was time to retire. People who blame the OC for the 2019 results need to do some homework.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing we played in the Orange Bowl in 2014. We were the number 4 bowl pick from the ACC. ACC Champion FSU was in the playoff. Miami and UNC had the tie breaker over us in the Coastal, but were being investigated by the NCAA and declined the trip to the ACC Championship game-- and ultimately the Orange Bowl (which UNC probably regrets doing).

Miss State didn't want to be there after being ranked No. 1 at one point in the season. They lost their DC (Geoff Collins) before the bowl game, who took the DC slot at UF.

Johnson's teams went 2 games below .500 in FBS contests for the 4 seasons prior to 2014. It was time to move on, but the GTAA overreacted as they tend to do, and gave him an extension and a raise after the Orange Bowl.

A somewhat unrelated comment: Temple was number 35 in total offense in 2018 with Patenaude as OC. GT was number 65 in total offense in 2018 with Johnson as OC. (FBS games only). GT lost its starting QB, top 4 receivers, leading rusher, and two best OL (Braun and Shamire) from that 2018 team. No wonder Johnson decided it was time to retire. People who blame the OC for the 2019 results need to do some homework.

Wat...

Miami and UNC did not have the tie breaker over us in 2014 we won outright when duke lost. They had the tiebreaker over us in 2012 and were under investigation in 2012.. Seriously how are people so bad at remembering these details. We were 6-2 in the coastal alone at the top and 10-2 going into the championship.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

I believe you’re thinking of 2012 when we were tied with Miami and UNC but went to the ACCCG over them due to NCAA stuff. 2014 we won the Coastal outright at 6-2 in conf play

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I believe you’re thinking of 2012 when we were tied with Miami and UNC but went to the ACCCG over them due to NCAA stuff. 2014 we won the Coastal outright at 6-2 in conf play

Correct. In 2012, we got a waiver at 6-7 to go to the Sun Bowl. People are actually misremembering 2014? Gosh, it wasnt that long ago.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Southern and VT were not bad teams that year by any stretch of the imagination. There were a lot of good power five teams that would have struggled with Georgia Southern in 2014. They had nfl caliber defenders an NFL line backer. 3 330 lb plus defensive lineman. An NFL running back in Matt brieda and A QB who might have been one of the best option QB's ever in ellison (if he had ran the flex his entire career he'd be talked about like reynolds.)

VT was a phantom clip call (eh you could call it but it really looked more like hill tripped) from not being close.

Also, VT beat the national champs Ohio State in the opener.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't fit his narrative.

Additionally, the total offense stats used are intentionally misleading. As everyone knows, total offense as used in this case is a counting stat and isn't adjusted for the pace of play (total plays and possession). Every stat that normalizes for pace of play has our 2018 offense in the 20 - 30 range, and has the 2018 Temple offense in the 60's.

Conclusion here is that the dog ate Jacketup's homework.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Additionally, the total offense stats used are intentionally misleading. As everyone knows, total offense as used in this case is a counting stat and isn't adjusted for the pace of play (total plays and possession). Every stat that normalizes for pace of play has our 2018 offense in the 20 - 30 range, and has the 2018 Temple offense in the 60's.

Conclusion here is that the dog ate Jacketup's homework.

What i don't get is there are legitmate complaints you can use about johnsons teamsto drive the same points but when you bend facts and misrepresent it just completely shuts down any stance you can take.

Johnsons teams had issues coming from behind without a passing threat. Defensively they played to conservative. It turns out that even while we were recruiting different players for different roles it was insanely hard to recruit the perfect AB and Perfect BB.

Linebacker play was lacking.

We had major difficulty defending tight ends and intermediate routes.

The splits of the offense worked against us against extremely fast and agile defensive lines especially in the passing game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If we played Air Force’s schedule we could have gone 11-2 with the ‘17 and ‘18 team. We averaged over 30 points a game in ‘18 playing a Power 5 schedule. Are we really having this debate?

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

Dude CNN is not on the GT campus, it's across the street.

GTFLETCH

Banned
While the Triple Option was fun in in the CPJ era, (2008,2009,2014,2016) I always felt a little disappointment every season.... 2008 Peach Bowl A$$ Kicking, 2009 OB A$$ Kicking, 2014 not beating FSU in the ACC title game....2016 with Justin Thomas at QB felt like we shoud have won 10 games, not 9... Our rotating DC, the lack of Oline blocking in 2015 with players in the program for multiple years...on & on...

While I am thankful for the 2014 season and the 2009 ACC title, I am glad we have moved on.... Not sure Pnut as OC is the answer, but time will tell and I am excited to see our defense improve

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Your attempt to piss on our 2014 season, as pitiful as it was, is pathetic. Talk about needing to do some homework--gessh! MSU had a very good D AND the current Dallas Cowboy QB---plus Collins not being at the game made no difference at all---it was his D after all---it was good and we ripped it a new one. If the game went another 10 min, we'd win by 40. Your post is out of character for your posting history.