Banned
Going back 30 years:
a. We had an offense AND a defense. Then:
b. We had neither, then:
c. We had an offense but no defense, then:
d. We had a defense but no offense, then:
e. We had an offense but no defense, then:
f. We had neither.
Seems like the next cycle is having an offense but no defense.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I just care about wins and losses. The type of offense doesn’t really matter much to me. They are all enjoyable to watch when they work. Branding to me is just a coaching buzzword that has no real meaning in collegiate sports. The only way to improve your brand is to win.
Agree 100%.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Turned the TV off as this game started, but heard some pregame stuff. Heard enough to hear them ask Leach the standard TO question "how do you defend such a unique offense?" In typical short, dry fashion he answered "just keep your eyes where they're supposed to be and make the plays." Made it sound so simple and like it wasn't really a big deal.

I love it when a coach comes in so confident and then gets it handed to him by an offense that's so simple to defend that they can only manage 401 yds (371 rushing). Happy to see that result this morning.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Turned the TV off as this game started, but heard some pregame stuff. Heard enough to hear them ask Leach the standard TO question "how do you defend such a unique offense?" In typical short, dry fashion he answered "just keep your eyes where they're supposed to be and make the plays." Made it sound so simple and like it wasn't really a big deal.

I love it when a coach comes in so confident and then gets it handed to him by an offense that's so simple to defend that they can only manage 401 yds (371 rushing). Happy to see that result this morning.
Heh, they asked him the same/similar question in halftime; don't remember exactly what he said but it was something vague along the lines of, you tell me, I don't know, or we'll find out.

slugboy

Staff member

I’m not sure how much Leach cares about defending anyone else’s offense. It showed this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In fairness to Leach, this isn't one of his better teams. I watched their QB play and couldnt believe that he has set records because he doesn't look that good.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
What Leach said was time of posession doesnt really matter if his offense is doing its job. He basically admitted they couldnt afford any wasted possessions; this is the frustration of a scheme based offense with no defense.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed the game myself. Remsberg (sp?), the goto AB for Air Force, reminds me a bit of Orwin Smith. Not quite as fast, but close, and a real jacker when yards are needed. In fact, Air Force reminded me a lot of the 2011 Tech team. Including not having much in the way of D.

Looking forward to Navy - KSU on New Year's Eve. That should be fun to watch.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I just care about wins and losses. The type of offense doesn’t really matter much to me. They are all enjoyable to watch when they work. Branding to me is just a coaching buzzword that has no real meaning in collegiate sports. The only way to improve your brand is to win.

True, but winning usually is more attainable when recruiting classes are ranked in the low 20's vs the mid 50's.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
dont know about this, especially initially taking over a program. Brand had as much to do with this recruiting class as anything. Otherwise we shoulda just signed to dumb crap 60 ranked class we did prior or after 09 14 we shoulda signed top 25 classes and didn’t; we re invented ourselves etc and sold tech like it should be

what i would agree with though is when u change a brand and culture to maintain it you have to win at a relatively high level. And if thats what you mean i agree. Initial change only lasts a couple years then you have to win

This. We just brought in a top 25 class on nothing but branding. To make it last, we have to win. Improvement will do next year but 2021 has to be a good seasonm

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
3O is a fabulous offense for the service academies, where the players have zero chance of going pro. It is not so great if you have aspirations of being a consistent Top 20 school. However, whether we can do that with the RPO remains to be seen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's a reason Bill Belichick went to Navy and studied CPJs offense, and why John Harbaugh paid CPJ to travel to Baltimore to give them a tutorial on it.

The offense works, but you can no longer make it the focal point. It needs to be implemented in a way that meshes with modern concepts and schemes.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There's a reason Bill Belichick went to Navy and studied CPJs offense, and why John Harbaugh paid CPJ to travel to Baltimore to give them a tutorial on it.

The offense works, but you can no longer make it the focal point. It needs to be implemented in a way that meshes with modern concepts and schemes.
The offense works regardless of the presence of modernbconcepts if there is talent on the field to make it work. I’ve said before that when CPJ has talent, the 3O was almost unstoppable. When he didn’t have talent, it was only slightly more potent than any other offense. Talent is especially important at QB. When Army/Navy/Air Force have a good QB, they usually go on runs with 9+ wins, just like Tech did. It’s why Lamar and the Ravens are almost unbeatable right now. Not only can Lamar run the option, he’s a great passer

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Sad, but true. Same thing that happened with the run and shoot offense and soon with the air raid offense. They are all being integrated into a multiple offensive playbook that most teams will eventually run.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It is kind of interesting that here are two basically TO teams playing in bowls and running the offense as good as us (or better) after '16.So 2 academies with their recruiting problems have better teams than us maybe in 17, 18 and probably 19.hmmmm
yep, a recruiting problem here ?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It is kind of interesting that here are two basically TO teams playing in bowls and running the offense as good as us (or better) after '16.So 2 academies with their recruiting problems have better teams than us maybe in 17, 18 and probably 19.hmmmm

Recruiting problem, attrition problem, assistant coaching problem, no true QB problem
..there are a lot of reasons but it's in the rear view now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What are you trying to say in this post?