Travis Custis and Jonathan Dwyer

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Spiller's 4.37 was made while he was still feeling the effects of turf toe. Dwyer's 4.37 was made when he still weighed 195#. The 4.59 was timed when he weighed considerably more than 195.
Spillers was a 10.30 100 meter guy. I was aware of the turf toe but Bo Knows Spiller was not 4.19 as in Jackson and a 10.02 100 meters. I understand he was 195 pounds but the 4.37 is not a 10.82. He also went to HS combine prior to senior year and was clocked in 4.58 . Once again I love the Guy.

Shaun Boatwright

Georgia Tech Fan
Custis isn't a Dwyer...there aren't many players that have the natural ability that Dwyer showed his Sophomore year at Tech. Dwyer had a special ability.

Custis is not as fast as Dwyer and doesn't have that top end speed...Custis is more of a power runner. Anthony Allen is a good comparison to use.

I'm a Lovejoy alum of 97 and have seen at least a few LHS games every year since. I saw Custis play probably 12 times his last 2 years and think he was the best rb to come out of Lovejoy which means I have him rated higher than GT's own Tashard Choice and actually I think Tashard is a good comparison for Custis. Both have similar size and are true football players. Neither are afraid of contact and in fact run through it. The reason I have Custis rated slightly higher is because he has slightly more speed than Choice. So while I agree with your assessment on Custis not being a Dwyer, I certainly think his potential is better than Allen. He is much more elusive than Allen and has better speed, while obviously not being as big.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a Lovejoy alum of 97 and have seen at least a few LHS games every year since. I saw Custis play probably 12 times his last 2 years and think he was the best rb to come out of Lovejoy which means I have him rated higher than GT's own Tashard Choice and actually I think Tashard is a good comparison for Custis. Both have similar size and are true football players. Neither are afraid of contact and in fact run through it. The reason I have Custis rated slightly higher is because he has slightly more speed than Choice. So while I agree with your assessment on Custis not being a Dwyer, I certainly think his potential is better than Allen. He is much more elusive than Allen and has better speed, while obviously not being as big.
I believe you are on the mark. I will discuss times with anyone but the success of Custus will not be because he my not be as fast as Dwyer. By the way, Dwyers lack of success in the NFL is not because of his speed. He is as fast as Emmitt Smith who ran 4.55 and was considered a step slow for his high draft pick . Shaun, tell me,
do you think Custus has more wiggle than John?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I am not sure he is much faster than Allen.

Allen posted a 4.54 40 at the combine while weighing in at 228.

I do think Custis has a bit more wiggle.

Shaun Boatwright

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe you are on the mark. I will discuss times with anyone but the success of Custus will not be because he my not be as fast as Dwyer. By the way, Dwyers lack of success in the NFL is not because of his speed. He is as fast as Emmitt Smith who ran 4.55 and was considered a step slow for his high draft pick . Shaun, tell me,
do you think Custus has more wiggle than John?

I think so croberts. I would describe Custis as a slasher where JD was more power. I'm expecting Custis to be the best back we've had since JD.

Shaun Boatwright

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not sure he is much faster than Allen.

Allen posted a 4.54 40 at the combine while weighing in at 228.

I do think Custis has a bit more wiggle.

Thanks for the response Eric. I always thought of Allen as being a little slow on the field. I don't think you will think that with Custis but you never know how a players game will translate to the next level. I know in the playoffs I saw Custis have one of the more amazing performances you are ever going to see on a big stage when in the state semi's he ran for 300 yards against North Cobb. Keep in mind that is the semi's of the largest classification in one of the best football states.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Custis really reminds me of Tashard Choice. If he ends up being as good as him then I will be thrilled. He will do well if we block consistently/effectively...I have no clue how good this kid is going to be but I think he will be better than Laskey or Sims which is pretty good IMO. An upgrade is an upgrade...

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for the response Eric. I always thought of Allen as being a little slow on the field. I don't think you will think that with Custis but you never know how a players game will translate to the next level. I know in the playoffs I saw Custis have one of the more amazing performances you are ever going to see on a big stage when in the state semi's he ran for 300 yards against North Cobb. Keep in mind that is the semi's of the largest classification in one of the best football states.
He didn't look slow when he ripped off an 80 harder against Clemson in 09'!!!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I know it is fun to project how these guys are going to do and I am as optimistic as the next guy but, why don't we let the young man come in and show us what he can do? He might be a great one and then again he might be a bust. Usually the truth lies in the middle. Dwyer was a good player but he was not a great player. He is the best we have had during the Johnson era but we really have not had a great running back since Robert Lavette.

Go Jackets!
Man if we could get another Lavette we would be set.........he was a game day player and man he took a buncho of hits his first few years but like TIMEX he kept on ticking..........Rambling Robert and of course the Great Eddie Lee were the best in last thirty or so years...........we need more guys like them.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
They used to say same thing about Jerry Rice but..........nobody ever caught him from behind either.......kid has football speed.
So true, as a Falcons fan growing up I hated Jerry Rice because it always seemed like he had a career game against us. Never could stop that guy. I look back and really respect Rice for all he did in the sport but man I hated it when he came to Atlanta!!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
So true, as a Falcons fan growing up I hated Jerry Rice because it always seemed like he had a career game against us. Never could stop that guy. I look back and really respect Rice for all he did in the sport but man I hated it when he came to Atlanta!!
yep said Bobby Lane threw wounded ducks.....he also won two NFL championships and what a leader....no face mask....

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

We shall soon see! I am excited to see Custis play.

When I think of Anthony Allen I think about his form, loved watching that run he had against Clemson.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We shall soon see! I am excited to see Custis play.

When I think of Anthony Allen I think about his form, loved watching that run he had against Clemson.
You mean the one that was blocked to perfection and was like stealing candy from a baby for the runningback?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When I think of AA I think balance, strength, vision, instincts, power, speed - all rolled into one. He is underappreciated by Tech fans and mainly because he was here the same time as JD.

Watch this. He is easily the second best back we've ever had under CPJ and he's much closer to Dwyer in that ranking than he is to whomever is #3.