Travelling?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
That's simply not true by the rules though. You can feel it "should" be the rules, but it isn't.

Under modern rule of the game, as long as you keep the dribble in motion, you can have your hand under the ball while moving.

Yes it is. You posted the rule above and it says "a player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and carry it from one point to another". If you place your hand under the ball and take a step, then you have carried the ball from one point to another. The rule you posted says you can't do that, yet that is how most dribbling is done today.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes it is. You posted the rule above and it says "a player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and carry it from one point to another". If you place your hand under the ball and take a step, then you have carried the ball from one point to another. The rule you posted says you can't do that, yet that is how most dribbling is done today.
And as long as the dribble is in motion, what you are describing is not considered to be carrying from one point to another.

I mean, you guys all watch basketball, right? Not to mention there's a thousand referee training videos on YouTube explaining the details of each rule and how to call them. This entire thread is just about Flat Earther levels of denying the obvious reality.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
And as long as the dribble is in motion, what you are describing is not considered to be carrying from one point to another.

I mean, you guys all watch basketball, right? Not to mention there's a thousand referee training videos on YouTube explaining the details of each rule and how to call them. This entire thread is just about Flat Earther levels of denying the obvious reality.

Hey, you are the one that posted the text of the rule. It is simple reading comprehension. You shouldn't need Youtube videos for reading comprehension. Take another look. It's an "and or statement". You are not allowed to put your hand under the ball and do either 1 or 2. You seem to only be focusing on 2.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, you are the one that posted the text of the rule. It is simple reading comprehension. You shouldn't need Youtube videos for reading comprehension. Take another look. It's an "and or statement". You are not allowed to put your hand under the ball and do either 1 or 2. You seem to only be focusing on 2.

I guess you are right about your 1st sentence though... I guess it is not "considered" to be carrying from one point to another, since they don't call it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Harden cheats on his stepbacks so much, but he hides the footwork so well that without replay it's so hard to see. Not sure if I should respect it or revile it.

I was watching the other night and he got the ball in the corner. Guy tries to force him baseline. He never dribbles but takes 2 steps back and gets a 3 point shot off. I am screaming at the TV but no call. No dribble from a dead stop, no call. He has to have pictures of Silver at the same massage parlor Kraft got busted for :mad: :D

I am in the revile category but can't argue with the fact he has a shot that hasn't been seen in the game much if ever. And yes I am jealous. :(

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm actually sort of amazed at this level of denseness. I'm 40 in a year, but still feel I have a lot to learn when it comes to being an old man yelling at clouds.

It's obvious that what qualifies as carrying from one point to another in the rule requires interpretation. The interpretation refs use is one that allows you to stride with a hand under the ball while the dribble is in motion.

The bigger issue with carries has always been pausing or delaying at one side of a dribble to cross up an opponent ( see: Iverson, Allen ).

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
I was watching the other night and he got the ball in the corner. Guy tries to force him baseline. He never dribbles but takes 2 steps back and gets a 3 point shot off. I am screaming at the TV but no call. No dribble from a dead stop, no call. He has to have pictures of Silver at the same massage parlor Kraft got busted for :mad: :D

I am in the revile category but can't argue with the fact he has a shot that hasn't been seen in the game much if ever. And yes I am jealous. :(
Doncic does it too now. It's so shifty, but to get the footwork right and still shoot 35%+ on those shots is crazy.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm actually sort of amazed at this level of denseness. I'm 40 in a year, but still feel I have a lot to learn when it comes to being an old man yelling at clouds.

It's obvious that what qualifies as carrying from one point to another in the rule requires interpretation. The interpretation refs use is one that allows you to stride with a hand under the ball while the dribble is in motion.

The bigger issue with carries has always been pausing or delaying at one side of a dribble to cross up an opponent ( see: Iverson, Allen ).

You are right that what qualifies as carrying the ball from one point to another requires interpretation. Your interpretation requires a lack of elementary level reading comprehension skills. My interpretation requires an amazing level of denseness and Flat Earther levels of denying obvious reality. Agree to disagree.

P.s. I'm only 40 this year, but apparently I have already mastered being an old man yelling at clouds.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It amazes me to hear people intimate that skill level in the NBA is lower now than in years past.

People who think that stopped watching the game during that 5-6 year post-Jordan era which was admittedly bad.

There are aspects of the game I hate, see Har_en discussion, but overall skill level has increased dramatically. Refs' eyes can't hardly keep up, unfortunately.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
UVA had a breakaway today. Hunter took 9 or 10 steps with the ball. No call. They generally call one or two walks each game. Similarly, they call 3 seconds once or twice per season and I don't remember the last double dribble or palming ball I saw

Careful now. Somebody might suspect you of ref-blamin'. ;)