Travelling?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
UVA had a breakaway today. Hunter took 9 or 10 steps with the ball. No call. They generally call one or two walks each game. Similarly, they call 3 seconds once or twice per season and I don't remember the last double dribble or palming ball I saw

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Typically in today’s game, there are generally two “plays” that invoke a traveling call. I would bet these make up 80%-90% of these types of calls (I have no evidence for this statistic).

1. Big man underneath the basket shuffling their feet
2. Player on the perimeter that makes a jab and drive move where he moves both feet before putting the ball on the ground

Outside of these 2 plays, you’re unlikely to see one called.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
The "Euro" hop or step is what drives me crazy. Its traveling.
It's definitely not traveling. Sort of like the Fosberry Flop it's just a unique way of solving a problem. Looks "strange", but legal and very effective.

Watch a good euro step in slow motion. It's 2 steps. What makes it so good (and hard to do) is the complete weight shift between the steps combined with the length of the strides.

The traveling that goes uncalled the time is picking up / shuffling pivot feet. Happens constantly.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
It's definitely not traveling. Sort of like the Fosberry Flop it's just a unique way of solving a problem. Looks "strange", but legal and very effective.

Watch a good euro step in slow motion. It's 2 steps. What makes it so good (and hard to do) is the complete weight shift between the steps combined with the length of the strides.

The traveling that goes uncalled the time is picking up / shuffling pivot feet. Happens constantly.

It's the Yugo step that looks like traveling. That one is a double hop on the same foot (like a skip) then the other foot. It's not a travel either.

/

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I just remember wrong, but I seem to recall when I was young that if you put your hand completely under the basketball while dribbling, you were called for carrying. I don't remember the last time I saw carrying actually called and I have seen dribblers with their hand fully supporting the basketball from underneath.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Maybe I just remember wrong, but I seem to recall when I was young that if you put your hand completely under the basketball while dribbling, you were called for carrying. I don't remember the last time I saw carrying actually called and I have seen dribblers with their hand fully supporting the basketball from underneath.
If the center of your hand went below the "equator" we were called for carrying. That has long since disappeared from being call for over 2 decades.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the center of your hand went below the "equator" we were called for carrying. That has long since disappeared from being call for over 2 decades.

I understand that being low on the ball hasn't been called for a very very long time. However what I am talking about is the palm of the hand basically supporting the ball. It seems that as long as the ball doesn't actually stop movement, it isn't called.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I understand that being low on the ball hasn't been called for a very very long time. However what I am talking about is the palm of the hand basically supporting the ball. It seems that as long as the ball doesn't actually stop movement, it isn't called.
You are correct. In today's game I would never have been called for carrying.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Too many kids learned to dribble that way on playgrounds. They would get called on every play if it was still 1964. You wouldnt see some of the moves these kids make if they didn't "palm" it. It is sorta like how holding is allowed in football these days.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Carrying was certainly enforced very strictly many years ago, but the modern rule gives quite a lot of leway.

This is the current NBA rule for carrying (college and FIBA rules are similar):

"A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again."

Your hand is allowed to be under the ball as long as you do not actively transport the ball or pause your dribble while doing so.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see how the game would change over time if traveling and palming were called more strictly. In general I think athleticism is increasing but skills are decreasing. I don’t think it’s good for the game. The NBA game is a joke these days.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I actually think the skills are massively increasing these days. The requirements for players to be able to dribble and especially shoot for getting to college and even HS are far above where they were when I was a mere lad. Yea the rules have changed and the side of me that wants them to get off my grass thinks they have way too much leeway today - but that doesn't diminish the skills that kids overall have today.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Harden called for about 5 walks per game. He gets away with murder. But the level of skill today is way above the dark ages when I played.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Carrying was certainly enforced very strictly many years ago, but the modern rule gives quite a lot of leway.

This is the current NBA rule for carrying (college and FIBA rules are similar):

"A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again."

Your hand is allowed to be under the ball as long as you do not actively transport the ball or pause your dribble while doing so.

If you put your hand under the ball and take a step then you have carried the ball from one point to another. That should be called as palming/carrying the ball. I bet 50% of all dribbles are palming. Maybe that’s high, but it is rampant.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW I actually think the skills are massively increasing these days. The requirements for players to be able to dribble and especially shoot for getting to college and even HS are far above where they were when I was a mere lad. Yea the rules have changed and the side of me that wants them to get off my grass thinks they have way too much leeway today - but that doesn't diminish the skills that kids overall have today.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Harden called for about 5 walks per game. He gets away with murder. But the level of skill today is way above the dark ages when I played.

Ok. Point taken, but for the specific skill of dribbling, I disagree. If they could dribble, they would, instead of carrying the ball all over the court.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
If you put your hand under the ball and take a step then you have carried the ball from one point to another. That should be called as palming/carrying the ball. I bet 50% of all dribbles are palming. Maybe that’s high, but it is rampant.
That's simply not true by the rules though. You can feel it "should" be the rules, but it isn't.

Under modern rule of the game, as long as you keep the dribble in motion, you can have your hand under the ball while moving.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan

Harden cheats on his stepbacks so much, but he hides the footwork so well that without replay it's so hard to see. Not sure if I should respect it or revile it.