Transfers... How GT Compares

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Does Marcus, or anyone else for that matter REALLY want to take the hits that a Bback must endure play after play? This is a position that screams for shared responsibility. It is not the traditional I formation tailback. There are two positions that must have superior depth in our offense: quarterback and Bback because of the nature of what they do. They take hits all the time and sometimes are blindsided. Sure the starter will get more carries but probably not that many more than the number two guy.

JD says hello. AA says hello. We had 2 headed Bbacks with Days/Laskey and MM/DM. I wouldn't say this pattern indicates a BB are any more prone to injury than any other system utilizing a tailback.....(Chubb/Michel say hello)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I understand that and I know that we nees multiple bbacks who can start, but I feel confident that either KB or QW will step up and become a solid backup to DM. I know that the loss of Marshall will hurt but I think that we'll be ok at bback.
You have allayed my fears...somewhat. But I and we may be haunted by thoughts of "what might have been" when watching replays of that fourth quarter run when he just refused to go down and broke at least three tackles. He was not the ideal size but certainly big enough and had that burst of speed that we really have not had at the Bback position since Dwyer. I am going to miss MM but appreciate what he did for us and wish him only the best at James Madison.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you're a RB, I'm not so sure you don't want to split carries with another RB in college. That's another guy taking away free shots at you...and by free, I mean if you want to go to the NFL, wear and tear means something. If you're a talented runner, the NFL will find you regardless of how many carries you have. Darren McFadden/Felix Jones at Arkansas, Cadillac Williams/Ronnie Brown at Auburn, Reggie Bush/Lendale White at USC, Alabama every year with their RBs. Sharing the rushing load is not going to take away from your NFL prospects if you have the talent.

Everyone likes to be "the man", but you can still show out go to the league splitting carries.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
JD says hello. AA says hello. We had 2 headed Bbacks with Days/Laskey and MM/DM. I wouldn't say this pattern indicates a BB are any more prone to injury than any other system utilizing a tailback.....(Chubb/Michel say hello)
That is true JD says "hello" but how how many of JDs are we going to find? He was special and MM was special in his own way. I am concerned about Mills getting in trouble again but we will see. Maybe being the Man will mature him a little. Mills is not JD but has an opportunity to be just as good in his own way. Certainly, Coach Johnson has confidence in him and one thing is for sure there is nothing tentative about Mills he is hell for leather when he smells that end zone. I forgot about AA but both he and JD were big boys in the Jim Brown mode. More than one DB would shy away from tackling those two that's for sure.
On another note, I hope we have a linebacker that can say "hello" to Chubb next year at BDS in a way that is, shall we say meaningful.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Read an article a year or so ago. They tracked the QB signees for 5 years. For that signing year, something like 12 of the top 13 quarterbacks transferred at one point in their careers.