Transfers... How GT Compares

Milwaukee

Banned
The reason why Ken and others are talking about this is because of MM, in my opinion. It looks different when a star, your best player, leaves the program. I don't think this is a trend that we'll see going forward.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that he is a great player but MM is not the best player.

MM was our starter for most games. He was pretty important and will be missed IMHO.

I don't think this is a long term trend based only on my memory. I'm glad Ken had the numbers for a single year but wish it had been for more like 5 years. We had two previous increases in transfers that I seem to remember under CPJ. One ~2010 and another ~2014??

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's face it, players usually transfer to get more playing time. They are beaten out by other players and can see that they don't have much chance to move into the two deep. They also can see who is being recruited at their position and can see that the coaches think they need to upgrade with better players. I am sure some transfer due to academic stress but PT is the most likely. The guys sitting on the bench put in just as much time at practice and lifting as the starters but don't get in the games. They want to play the game.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The next level is getting stronger and I think these kids are saying I can be seen on the national stage AND play more showing what I can do. I can still get to the NFL but I cant sitting on the bench or getting little playing time.
I think Marshall got off to slow start because didn't hold on to ball to start. He will always be remembered for the run to setup the Quantum leap. He kept getting better.
Did he leave before Finals? When first reported here, someone said he was already out of his room.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
MM was our starter for most games. He was pretty important and will be missed IMHO.

I don't think this is a long term trend based only on my memory. I'm glad Ken had the numbers for a single year but wish it had been for more like 5 years. We had two previous increases in transfers that I seem to remember under CPJ. One ~2010 and another ~2014??
DM started 7 games and MM started 5 games. Mills is our starting bback. I agree that MM will be missed, but he left because he was not the starter.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
DM started 7 games and MM started 5 games. Mills is our starting bback. I agree that MM will be missed, but he left because he was not the starter.
Does Marcus, or anyone else for that matter REALLY want to take the hits that a Bback must endure play after play? This is a position that screams for shared responsibility. It is not the traditional I formation tailback. There are two positions that must have superior depth in our offense: quarterback and Bback because of the nature of what they do. They take hits all the time and sometimes are blindsided. Sure the starter will get more carries but probably not that many more than the number two guy.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does Marcus, or anyone else for that matter REALLY want to take the hits that a Bback must endure play after play? This is a position that screams for shared responsibility. It is not the traditional I formation tailback. There are two positions that must have superior depth in our offense: quarterback and Bback because of the nature of what they do. They take hits all the time and sometimes are blindsided. Sure the starter will get more carries but probably not that many more than the number two guy.
I understand that and I know that we nees multiple bbacks who can start, but I feel confident that either KB or QW will step up and become a solid backup to DM. I know that the loss of Marshall will hurt but I think that we'll be ok at bback.