Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It is about creativity in play calls and ability to make in game adjustments in terms of giving your team the best chance to win. We will likely never win top end recruiting fights particularly with NIL in play. But 20 to 30 recruiting with more imaginative play calling on both sides of the ball puts you in the position to win 8 or 9 games per year.
Then, we are in trouble as of right now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Then, we are in trouble as of right now.
I personally would hold off on this opinion now given that we have a new OC. Hopefully Collins will emulate Coach Johnson to a degree and turn things over to Long 100% and stick to what he has been known for in the past. I have to think we will see improvements in game planning and adjustments in this case.

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
I personally would hold off on this opinion now given that we have a new OC. Hopefully Collins will emulate Coach Johnson to a degree and turn things over to Long 100% and stick to what he has been known for in the past. I have to think we will see improvements in game planning and adjustments in this case.
Why don't we wait and see what Coach Long does with the Offense before we piss on the upcoming season. Maybe he won't burn all three timeouts in the first five minutes of the first half and we don't have 5 procedure penalties before the half. We are not in trouble as we either improve as a program or have the optimism of a head coaching search.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe this is quite possible, but we have before CGC, gone through a dozen DCs, huh? GOL, Lindsey, and Carson were the last DCs that made an impact. On the OC side, there was RF and who?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Looks like more players are going in the portal, after the deadline: https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...ors-football-players-no-longer-with-the-team/

I can’t say I understand how this squares with “P5 schools guarantee 4 year scholarships”, but Florida is out-and-out cutting players as the COVID allowances end. They probably won’t be the only school doing this.
The article says according to NCAA bylaws the players who were cut from the team can remain at school and on scholarship. Sounds like a guaranteed scholarship to me.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The article says according to NCAA bylaws the players who were cut from the team can remain at school and on scholarship. Sounds like a guaranteed scholarship to me.
Current Google, 06-22-2022:
Athletic scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Many athletes and their families make the mistake of believe that athletic scholarships last all four years in college, but it's not true. That means that they award you financial aid one year at a time.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Current Google, 06-22-2022:
Athletic scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Many athletes and their families make the mistake of believe that athletic scholarships last all four years in college, but it's not true. That means that they award you financial aid one year at a time.
FBS football scholarships are the exception. Everybody agreed to offer 4-year schollies only. Anybody only offering schollies on yearly basis would get blackballed by other schools negatively recruiting against them. The UF article literally says the athletes who were asked to leave the team can stay at school on the full scholarship, without counting against the 85.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FBS football scholarships are the exception. Everybody agreed to offer 4-year schollies only. Anybody only offering schollies on yearly basis would get blackballed by other schools negatively recruiting against them. The UF article literally says the athletes who were asked to leave the team can stay at school on the full scholarship, without counting against the 85.
It does say:

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.7 is named “Aid After Departure of Head Coach.” It, essentially, allows a first-year head coach to not invite an athlete back to the team the following year. The athlete may, however, be given the right to stay at the school on scholarship until the athlete graduates with their degree.

The article doesn't make clear whether they will be allowed to stay on scholarship, though I would guess that is probably the case.

slugboy

Staff member
If they all enter the transfer portal, as expected, we won’t get a chance to test that theory.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It does say:

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.7 is named “Aid After Departure of Head Coach.” It, essentially, allows a first-year head coach to not invite an athlete back to the team the following year. The athlete may, however, be given the right to stay at the school on scholarship until the athlete graduates with their degree.

The article doesn't make clear whether they will be allowed to stay on scholarship, though I would guess that is probably the case.
Yes, they may stay at school and on scholarship. As in, it’s up to the athlete if they choose to do so. They also may choose to leave the school in search of other opportunities, athletic or otherwise. But the scholarship will be there no matter what if they choose to stay.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yes, they may stay at school and on scholarship. As in, it’s up to the athlete if they choose to do so. They also may choose to leave the school in search of other opportunities, athletic or otherwise. But the scholarship will be there no matter what if they choose to stay.
I don't think that's what it says. Taking out the "however", The athlete may be given the right to stay in school on scholarship. Or they may not be given the right. Only once they have been given the right, do they have the opportunity to choose whether to stay in school on scholarship or not.