Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He's already here, isn't he?

As fast as this moves and as chaotic as it is.... he may already be back on the market! I don’t have the energy or the intestinal fortitude to keep up :ROFLMAO:
I think by September 5th around 7:45 pm we can be reasonably certain that the roster is set.

kalld12

Banned
Take a look at the CFP teams' 2-deep and starters on the OL. You might be surprised.
You're comparing us against a CFB tier we are not a part of. Comparing us to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State is not an apples to apples comparison. Those schools recruit more 5 star/4 star players than 3 stars, so some of their HS recruits will see immediate playing time because lets face it their future all americans. When making a comparison please try to keep it a 1:1. Yes, true freshman, RS-Freshman can have an impact on a team, but not even remotely close to "developed" talent (i.e upperclassman) in our tier.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect our hit rate on the transfers to be about the same as the hit rate on our HS recruits. Some will show out and others will make no impact.

When you look at the majority of the players GT has brought in through the transfer portal they have mostly been young guys with 1-2 years in college and little to no game playing experience. They will certainly be farther along than a player straight out of HS, but for the most part GT is not bringing in transfers who are proven college players.

Ironically, the OL guys they have brought in are mostly the same age as the guys already here, with the exception of Quick - who is from the 2019 class.
Tchio and Adams are class of 2020, same class as Williams, Vaipulu and Green.
Robinson is class of 2021, same as Leftwich and Franklin.

With the OL transfers the staff is not bringing in guys with more experience or guys who are older. They are simply bringing in more guys that are at the same experience and age level as the players already on the roster.

I have high hopes for a healthy Keion White to have a big year for us on the DL (if he does not I think the DL is going to be pretty bad). I also have hopes that some of the transfer secondary players will play well.

Over the last 2 years none of the defensive players we have brought in through the portal have had any real college experience, except White - who ended up injured and Eley.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I expect our hit rate on the transfers to be about the same as the hit rate on our HS recruits. Some will show out and others will make no impact.

When you look at the majority of the players GT has brought in through the transfer portal they have mostly been young guys with 1-2 years in college and little to no game playing experience. They will certainly be farther along than a player straight out of HS, but for the most part GT is not bringing in transfers who are proven college players.

Ironically, the OL guys they have brought in are mostly the same age as the guys already here, with the exception of Quick - who is from the 2019 class.

With the OL transfers the staff is not bringing in guys with more experience or guys who are older. They are simply bringing in more guys that are at the same experience and age level as the players already on the roster.

I have high hopes for a healthy Keion White to have a big year for us on the DL (if he does not I think the DL is going to be pretty bad). I also have hopes that some of the transfer secondary players will play well.

Over the last 2 years none of the defensive players we have brought in through the portal have had any real college experience, except White - who ended up injured and Eley.
I agree with nearly all of this except the bolded. Once a guy chooses a school, struggles to get playing time, and chooses to transfer, then you know more about him. Those types of guys have already been a miss elsewhere. I don't think you can expect them to be a hit at the same rate as guys of similar talent coming out of HS. That works the other way around too though. Guys who were undervalued out of HS and excelled at lower levels probably have a better chance at success than random HS recruits. Like you, I still have high hopes for Keion White for that reason.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Know what 'they' do know? They know the fans largely don't know what TF they're looking at or what TF they're talking about.

Nor do the fans truly grasp what a coaching change entails. The fans watch the crap show that happens at places that have far more money for coaches than our fans' support is capable of garnering. Yet they somehow think, "Nah that won't be us."

These same fans have watched what their toxicity did to our basketball program years ago. Yet they continue to think, "Nah my incessant deriding of the coach won't have lasting damage, regardless of who the coach ends up being once the guy I hate's gone."

The fans keep thinking it's about Collins, but it's really not. Rot is rot. And what folks are sowing is rot for our program. And, spoiler alert, it doesn't go away once the coach is fired. Our basketball program is a literal, shining example of this. No idea why folks continue to court disaster.

It's mindboggling but completely expected since GT folks are the smartest dumb people in the world.
I think you are wrong. They are the dumbest smart people in the world 😊

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is, in my opinion, the most objective, detailed, reasoned and accurate prediction for the future of the program that I have read.
In my heart, I so want this NOT to be true. But in my mind, it seems like the most realistic outcome. Collins is not HC material- never was, never will be.
Well-reasoned analysis. Interesting that the first few comments on this over at FTRS acknowledged that the commitment to avoiding running any kind of scheme, while running a vanilla pro offense, has actually increased the talent gap since there is now no way to hide our talent deficit against other teams.

Also clear that those of us who hope for better this year are basing it not off of any offensive or defensive metrics, returning production or ratings of recruits and transfers but just hoping we see some things happen that we have no proof for.

So, yes, as I’ve said before, I’m hoping for better this year but that is not based on anything objective, just blind faith.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You're not?

I see very little of this. Very little of the black or white, all-or-nothing, but many shades of gray.

Here's where I stand, which coupled with a dollar will get you a donut: I want Collins to succeed, because as you say, changing coaches isn't a picnic. But I also want him to succeed because under the right circumstances, he seems to be a very good recruiter. The new assistants will help. More new assistants, at OL coach and DC would help more. But insinuating that his catastrophic failure thus far coaching this team is the fans' fault is an absurdity. He's 9-25, for Pete's sake. And you think we should all be happy campers? It's not the real world.
This is the post of the year, right here folks. Won the internet with this one and should go on this site’s Hall of Fame wall.

Being sarcastic but boosting comments you agree with while setting up stay man arguments with comments you disagree with is exactly the black and white thinking some on here have been reduced to. I agree it’s shades of gray for most of us.

I want Collins to succeed but I have so little patience anymore for those who tolerated criticism of previous coaches but now act like you are killing the program if the least little concern is voiced about one of the lowest points in Tech football history.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm okay taking some chances on SEC transfers that haven't played because they're blocked but our coaches liked them in high school. I'd like to see us recruit proven talent off the G5 rosters who want to upgrade to a P5 program.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know whether the football program does exit interviews or otherwise collects data as to “why” our players leave via the exit portal? Players who are not playing, I get, as they are looking for PT elsewhere or looking for a way to quit football without looking like they are quitting football. But, it would be interesting to determine whether we lose contributors, like Gibbs, Ivey, Domineck, and others, due to NIL, to inability to get into desired graduate programs, to disenchantment with coaching, whatever. It is one thing for fans to speculate, but it would/should be valuable information to TStan…

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know whether the football program does exit interviews or otherwise collects data as to “why” our players leave via the exit portal? Players who are not playing, I get, as they are looking for PT elsewhere or looking for a way to quit football without looking like they are quitting football. But, it would be interesting to determine whether we lose contributors, like Gibbs, Ivey, Domineck, and others, due to NIL, to inability to get into desired graduate programs, to disenchantment with coaching, whatever. It is one thing for fans to speculate, but it would/should be valuable information to TStan…

I’m only going off context clues here. Ivey seemed like ole miss made him a pretty sweet offer with NIL. I think Dominick had some specific grad programs that weren’t gonna happen here.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m only going off context clues here. Ivey seemed like ole miss made him a pretty sweet offer with NIL. I think Dominick had some specific grad programs that weren’t gonna happen here.
Can confirm Ivey getting paid. My buddies brother works for Ole Miss AA and he said he was part of whatever their collective is.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Well-reasoned analysis. Interesting that the first few comments on this over at FTRS acknowledged that the commitment to avoiding running any kind of scheme, while running a vanilla pro offense, has actually increased the talent gap since there is now no way to hide our talent deficit against other teams.

Also clear that those of us who hope for better this year are basing it not off of any offensive or defensive metrics, returning production or ratings of recruits and transfers but just hoping we see some things happen that we have no proof for.

So, yes, as I’ve said before, I’m hoping for better this year but that is not based on anything objective, just blind faith.
Agree with this (and the quoted post and the article) so much. Unfortunate, but true.
I want us to be better... and I truly feel like we’ll be better... but there is no tangible reason to believe we’ll be better.

First paragraph is EXACTLY what I believe and failed to articulate. Talent gap is exacerbated if we are playing follow the leader. Running the option may have had a negative effect on recruiting but running the same thing as the factories doesn’t magically improve recruiting. I just believe we need an innovative approach to things regardless of the recruits were able to get. I also think that IF we’re actually able to recruit at a top 10 level, then we will recruit at a top 10 level regardless of “scheme.” We have a multitude of other factors preventing us from recruiting at that level and until (if) we overcome those, we’ll need to do things a little differently on game day to maximize the guys we do get.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You're comparing us against a CFB tier we are not a part of. Comparing us to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State is not an apples to apples comparison. Those schools recruit more 5 star/4 star players than 3 stars, so some of their HS recruits will see immediate playing time because lets face it their future all americans. When making a comparison please try to keep it a 1:1. Yes, true freshman, RS-Freshman can have an impact on a team, but not even remotely close to "developed" talent (i.e upperclassman) in our tier.
So, the competition for the Fr/So OL is made up of 4 and 5 star upperclassmen, and yet there they are as starters or 2-deep. Higher or lower level, the comparison IS apples to apples. Fr/So OL at any level, make contributions on a widespread basis.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think you are wrong. They are the dumbest smart people in the world 😊

Coffee Holiday GIF by Starbucks

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is the post of the year, right here folks. Won the internet with this one and should go on this site’s Hall of Fame wall.

Being sarcastic but boosting comments you agree with while setting up stay man arguments with comments you disagree with is exactly the black and white thinking some on here have been reduced to. I agree it’s shades of gray for most of us.

I want Collins to succeed but I have so little patience anymore for those who tolerated criticism of previous coaches but now act like you are killing the program if the least little concern is voiced about one of the lowest points in Tech football history.
It gets tiresome to be perpetually smeared as one with an "agenda" or pushing a "narrative", focusing on the negative while ignoring anything one might have posted that's positive.
I guess there's no room for nuance or gray areas in a black-and-white world.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It gets tiresome to be perpetually smeared as one with an "agenda" or pushing a "narrative", focusing on the negative while ignoring anything one might have posted that's positive.
I guess there's no room for nuance or gray areas in a black-and-white world.
Pick a side man! Makes us all itchy and uncomfortable when we don’t know where you stand. Are you with us or against us?!?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with this (and the quoted post and the article) so much. Unfortunate, but true.
I want us to be better... and I truly feel like we’ll be better... but there is no tangible reason to believe we’ll be better.

First paragraph is EXACTLY what I believe and failed to articulate. Talent gap is exacerbated if we are playing follow the leader. Running the option may have had a negative effect on recruiting but running the same thing as the factories doesn’t magically improve recruiting. I just believe we need an innovative approach to things regardless of the recruits were able to get. I also think that IF we’re actually able to recruit at a top 10 level, then we will recruit at a top 10 level regardless of “scheme.” We have a multitude of other factors preventing us from recruiting at that level and until (if) we overcome those, we’ll need to do things a little differently on game day to maximize the guys we do get.
It is about creativity in play calls and ability to make in game adjustments in terms of giving your team the best chance to win. We will likely never win top end recruiting fights particularly with NIL in play. But 20 to 30 recruiting with more imaginative play calling on both sides of the ball puts you in the position to win 8 or 9 games per year.