Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
gibson over yates as the backup is a massive upgrade too. i highly doubt he takes the job but he should at least make it somewhat of a QB competition which would help sims too. i really think sims having zero actual threat to take his job wasn’t good for our team
As the article said “Talent Floor Raiser”. Our ceiling is already very high, but now he makes our minimum much better. That’s improvement for the team imo

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So far? Net gain. Losing Gibbs sucks. But we now have 2 four star linemen coming in and a new QB that will improve the QB room as well as a new TE from Cuse that will help our offense.
The new portal qb is related to the 4 star ol recruit.
That helped to get the qb?
Coordinated effort.
Hmm....

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at the losses and the gains, what's your take on how the Transfer Portal is treating us so far?

Yeah, we're losing Gibbs, but it looks like some talent is coming in, also.

Net gain or loss so far?
I agree with others it depends on how the OL transfers help. Gibbs was a special player but the lack of OL play hurt more than just Gibbs performance. Our offensive output can improve greatly with improvement at every position besides running back.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Imo
Cgc is a hard worker and his team does a lot we dont know
This ol gibson has nice size and has been with gt since june 23
Agreed. Obviously the players have a lot of faith and trust in him and his staff to not jump ship at this point.

In the immortal words of Lil Wayne

“Real g’s move in silence like Lasagna”

Hoping CGC is a real g

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the losses and the gains, what's your take on how the Transfer Portal is treating us so far?

Yeah, we're losing Gibbs, but it looks like some talent is coming in, also.

Net gain or loss so far?
There really is no way to get to a net gain after losing Gibbs unless a few of the transfers really turn into studs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This guy must be one hell of a salesman.
The gt ramblin wrek is a beat up wrek that has a 200,000,000 note. The recent owners have missed mainetnance items.
Yes, he is selling crap that got a paper over with a " view of what cgc says it could be" . If only recruits would listen to the swarm , they would not come.

The cgc must go crowd should wish for recruits to come and come.

The better recruits , the more attractive our Ramblin Wrek looks to the next coach. He thinks its him.

JacketFan137

Banned
There really is no way to get to a net gain after losing Gibbs unless a few of the transfers really turn into studs.
dontae is a great player so i think our RB position should at least be good. our o line was beyond atrocious last year and that impacted our running and passing game. if our o line transfers are good, they can easily make up for the loss of gibbs by elevating all aspects of the offense

obviously tho i’m speaking hypotheticals. they could be bad they could be great. regardless it takes such a low bar to be an improvement for us lol

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have gained by subtracting the oc now and the dc soon.
Cgc failed to be aggressive in personnel decesions in year 2.
He can earn his way out of the dog house but he cant get back year 3 with a better oc AND THE CHANCE GIBBS WOULD STILL BE HERE.

He needs to oull some defense out of his hat

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
dontae is a great player so i think our RB position should at least be good. our o line was beyond atrocious last year and that impacted our running and passing game. if our o line transfers are good, they can easily make up for the loss of gibbs by elevating all aspects of the offense

obviously tho i’m speaking hypotheticals. they could be bad they could be great. regardless it takes such a low bar to be an improvement for us lol
Expecting two offensive linemen who barely played at their former schools to make up for the loss of a player of Gibbs caliber is really wishful thinking. Ill be happy if they are just being solid contributors. I do think Dontae and Griffin can hold down the fort at RB, but Gibbs receiving ability and return ability will be missed dearly.

JacketFan137

Banned
Expecting two offensive linemen who barely played at their former schools to make up for the loss of a player of Gibbs caliber is really wishful thinking. Ill be happy if they are just being solid contributors. I do think Dontae and Griffin can hold down the fort at RB, but Gibbs receiving ability and return ability will be missed dearly.
as bad as our o line was, there’s a very realistic possibility that they are that big of an improvement

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If it really makes you sad we are losing Gibbs, I suggest you do the same thing I did with Mills and pretend he was injured.

Interesting that the new QB transfer brings up Book. Notre Dame had a dynamic runner with a big arm in wimbush, and after two close wins against cream puffs, Book was given the reins and never let go. I’m happy we will have more than true freshman to push Sims this next season.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here are the QBs (in order) who had a higher PFF grade than Zach Gibson in 2021:

Bryce Young (Alabama)
Kenny Pickett (Pitt)
CJ Stroud (Ohio State)
Brennan Armstrong (UVA)
Malik Willis (Liberty)
Sam Hartman (Wake)
Malik Cunningham (Louisville)
Dustin Crum (Kent State)
Caleb Williams (Oklahoma)

It should be noted that Gibson‘s 311 total snaps are about 1/3 of those in front of him (he missed a few games but still qualified for the minimum snap %).

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
While it hurts to lose Gibbs and I wish he had stayed because he’s a difference maker, how many wins did we have with him? My point is NOT that he didn’t make us better. Heck, maybe without him we would have won even fewer games. My point is that simply saying that Gibbs was so good that the portal could not be a net gain for us doesn’t really take into account where we are. We aren’t one player away from being awesome. We are a bunch of players away from being OK and if we get a few of those in the portal, guys who help us either with depth or being solid starters, then it’s possible that the quantity of good players moves the needle in the positive direction more than Gibbs loss moves the needle in the negative direction. We’re certainly never know and for sure we’d have been better off with all these transfers in PLUS keeping Gibbs. But if I’m being honest and you said to me “hey, you can trade Gibbs for guys who will make you better at 4 other positions” then considering we have Dontae and Jamious is staying and we got two very good RBs in HS recruiting, I MIGHT have said OK to that deal. And in further honesty I might have still said no, I’d rather have Gibbs.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right about expectations for the incoming OL. My personal expectation for them is that they can provide some solid depth for us. By themselves they absolutely do not make up for the loss of Gibbs. But having some added depth for the OL, which we’ve shown is something we desperately need as much as our guys have been nicked up, plus Dontae and Jamious and the two talented guys from HS, PLUS getting Blackburn back from injury, plus getting some depth for the QB room, plus getting another physically gifted athlete in the TE room where we also proved to be desperately thin on depth… all of that starts to mitigate some of the loss of Gibbs.