Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, the answer used to be "yes...as long as they haven't played professionally and revoked their amateur status."

But with NIL and other things supposedly coming down the pike, I wonder. Will all that go out the window?

If so, there's a wide receiver I'd love to entice to come back, finish up his degree, and introduce him to Haynes King...
Need him to finish the degree so he can be a GA

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya know, the answer used to be "yes...as long as they haven't played professionally and revoked their amateur status."

But with NIL and other things supposedly coming down the pike, I wonder. Will all that go out the window?

If so, there's a wide receiver I'd love to entice to come back, finish up his degree, and introduce him to Haynes King...
Sorry man, the wife wouldn't like if I went back to playing football. I'd have to work like heck to get my 40 time under 10 again too.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Yup. At least this guy is working the system the right way...but still, NINE years?!! Hey, good for him getting his education paid for.

BTW, I've seen multiple people questioning how long the NCAA's 4 years of eligibility rules will last. People seem to think that there will be a challenge to the 4 years of eligibility rule.
Heck he should have his masters and PHD by now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t think I know any of you guys personally, and no offense intended but this is all I can see when reading your “comeback” plans

Little Chocolate Donuts

For what it’s worth… my comeback looks the same. :D

Probably look more like ...

King Of The Hill I Give Up GIF

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Sooo are we not targeting any bama players?
I’m pretty sure we are targeting a few or some of them. The important question, though, is whether any one of them is interested in transferring to us.

By the way, I just read that Alabama DB Caleb Downs has decided to go (transfer) to Ohio State.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t fathom that someone can graduate from Tech, and enter the transfer portal with eligibility, without ever having significantly contributed while in our program. In the age of the transfer portal, the redshirt process is broken.
Covid year makes 6 years of eligibility very common these days with occasional 7 or even 8 years allowed with hardship appeals. Eligibility rules don't seem to matter any more.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Sooo are we not targeting any bama players?
At the current time none of the uncommitted players in the portal are a match to our needs. If you are suggesting poaching...it is hard to be heard over the cash registers of the army of poachers there now...maybe in the spring there will be a few opportunities. Plus I think poaching is against the rules but I have a hard time telling if there are rules...pretty sure the NCAA would enforce them against us...

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone know if there might be a few more High School recruits looking at GT as February Signing Day approaches?
Any transfer portal rumors of big, mean D-lineman coming to Tech?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone know if there might be a few more High School recruits looking at GT as February Signing Day approaches?
Any transfer portal rumors of big, mean D-lineman coming to Tech?

Re: 2024 recruits that did not sign in December, you can find some information in the recruiting threads.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with whoever said it, only one player that has shown anything at LB, Efford. I don't know anything about Hamilton except he played some and Tatum so far not that impressive and the kid from Athens a relative unknown, seems to have some nice measurables for LB position. I'm hopeful we are yet to get one or two out of the portal that can play like the kid we got from MD. If we improve up front and edge it certainly will help the LBs. I'm guessing we're in the process of getting some help, opportunity for some kids that make the move to GT.
Just curious, what's not impressive? His size could be better, he did make some mistakes this year (but who didnt?), most of what i saw can be corrected via coaching. There was one game this year he single handedly was in the backfield making plays. I like the kid, he's a ballplayer and competitor. Let's be easy on some of these kids, and btw Efford, i like him a lot, but he also made a lot of mistakes this year. Over pursuit and bad angles was his biggest issue. Young kid and will only continue to get better. I think Tatum, Lightsey, and Efford could be a great LB core next year with growth in weight room and added discipline through film study. With SANTUCCI coming in, Tatum will be a great fit.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, what's not impressive? His size could be better, he did make some mistakes this year (but who didnt?), most of what i saw can be corrected via coaching. There was one game this year he single handedly was in the backfield making plays. I like the kid, he's a ballplayer and competitor. Let's be easy on some of these kids, and btw Efford, i like him a lot, but he also made a lot of mistakes this year. Over pursuit and bad angles was his biggest issue. Young kid and will only continue to get better. I think Tatum, Lightsey, and Efford could be a great LB core next year with growth in weight room and added discipline through film study. With SANTUCCI coming in, Tatum will be a great fit.
Which game was that? He had 4 TFL and 0 sacks on the season, and all 4 TFL were in different games. I don't mean to rag on the guy, but you asked what's not impressive and I would have to repond with what did you see that WAS impressive? He had only 2 games with more than 4 total tackles, despite being listed as starter all season in a position that should have one of the highest numbers of tackles on the team. He played in 12 games and averaged just over 3 total tackles per game.

If he sticks around to next season, I do hope he has significantly improved. Hopefully the new coaching can get him there.