Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's definitely an odd case but when looking at his history he's basically only played 2.5 seasons due to a terrible string of bad injury and illness luck. He hasn't been transferring all over the place and, as @TooTall said he has earned both an undergrad and masters degree at Oregon. For those that don't have subscriptions to The Athletic here's a summary of the injuries and illnesses he's gone through:
  • Had an ACL tear in his senior year in high school
  • Redshirted his first year
  • Got rhabdomyolysis in Jan 2017
  • Played the full season in his r-Fr year which was the 2017 season
  • broke left ankle in the 2018 season opener and then he also missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons due to complications following surgery for that injury
  • He then tore the Achilles on the other leg two games into the 2021 season before returning and starting six games for Oregon in 2022
  • Transferred to Miami and played in 11 games this past season
If there's a guy who deserves another year to use up his eligibility I think he's it. To persevere through all those injuries and still want to come back and play and all that time actually attending classes and earning college degrees is amazing.
And given that injury list and his age, he probably doesn’t have much chance of getting drafted. Might as well let him have one more year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
College forever!! Amirite?!!
In the immortal words of soon to be senator.... 7 years of college down the drain!

GIF by Raw Dog Dan

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it was 8 years. I remember because it also took me eight years but mine included a four year hiatus in the Marines.
That's quite a hiatus! I took a year off and did drudge work in a factory. Made great money at the time, especially for a single 20 year old, but hated it so much I thought I would give my relationship with Ma Tech a second chance. The second time wasn't any easier but I had the proper motivation for round 2. I saw what my opportunities would be without the diploma. Thanks for your service LNJ.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
That's quite a hiatus! I took a year off and did drudge work in a factory. Made great money at the time, especially for a single 20 year old, but hated it so much I thought I would give my relationship with Ma Tech a second chance. The second time wasn't any easier but I had the proper motivation for round 2. I saw what my opportunities would be without the diploma. Thanks for your service LNJ.
I always knew I would come back to Tech. I just needed to mature a little bit (maybe, a lot). Despite the extended period between attending college classes, Tech was a lot easier the second time around. It is amazing how much attending class and not being constantly drunk all the time positively impacts your ability to succeed in school. Who knew?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, if I could get an extra free master's degree and free room and board 2 miles from the beach, and all I had to do was be a hero on campus surrounded by Miami girls, I'd probably do it too.
Sounds exactly like my GT student experience. Yours didn't go like that?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Unlike stetson, he's gotten au undergrad and masters.
The article says he took undergrad coursework last year at Miami. This brings up a couple of questions:

1. We talk about some of our graduates with remaining eligibility transferring to another school for a master's we don't offer. But apparently, they don't have to do graduate-level classes. So couldn't our guys stay at Tech and take some (relatively) easy undergrad courses? Especially if they have had success on the team.
2. How does NCAA progress toward degree work in cases like this? Is it undefined?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The article says he took undergrad coursework last year at Miami. This brings up a couple of questions:

1. We talk about some of our graduates with remaining eligibility transferring to another school for a master's we don't offer. But apparently, they don't have to do graduate-level classes. So couldn't our guys stay at Tech and take some (relatively) easy undergrad courses? Especially if they have had success on the team.
2. How does NCAA progress toward degree work in cases like this? Is it undefined?
Possibly. But what bites us alot is if you care about education you actually want that masters our guys that graduate care about education

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

If I remember correctly, once you have an undergraduate degree there is no more progress towards a degree requirement. You still have to be taking a certain number of credit hours.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, everybody gets extra years if they want 'em.

Can someone with an undergraduate degree who has been out of college for 20+ years go back and get a masters also regain eligibility?

Asking for a friend who wants to QB GT to the national championship...at least in my that friend's mind....ahem...

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone with an undergraduate degree who has been out of college for 20+ years go back and get a masters also regain eligibility?

Asking for a friend who wants to QB GT to the national championship...at least in my that friend's mind....ahem...
Ya know, the answer used to be "yes...as long as they haven't played professionally and revoked their amateur status."

But with NIL and other things supposedly coming down the pike, I wonder. Will all that go out the window?

If so, there's a wide receiver I'd love to entice to come back, finish up his degree, and introduce him to Haynes King...