Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Can't blame Leftwich. He honored his commitment. We need to go back to being a hard school to graduate from.
I still can’t fathom that someone can graduate from Tech, and enter the transfer portal with eligibility, without ever having significantly contributed while in our program. In the age of the transfer portal, the redshirt process is broken.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Pretty interesting to me that some schools have a hard time graduating players....we churn out undergrads but none if them seem to stay for grad school...not sure why

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t fathom that someone can graduate from Tech, and enter the transfer portal with eligibility, without ever having significantly contributed while in our program. In the age of the transfer portal, the redshirt process is broken.
Is that a problem for players?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I suspect we're still being affected by the extra year (2020) of eligibility. Eventually, that will work itself out.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Leftwich started 4 games and was 6th on OL in snaps so his loss cuts depth.
Leftwich was very solid depth and substationally helped us through the missed games at RT when Williams was injured. Leftwich will be missed unless the portal OLinemen coming in are an upgrade..

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With so many Freshman starting in the spring, as well as taking summer semesters every year, it makes no sense to redshirt players any more. Get them on the field early or as soon as possible, because they are going to graduate Tech after three years and leave any way.

Not wanting to derail this thread, but also consider how many HS students are entering school with college credits already in hand. My son will graduate this year from HS with all of his core classes completed for nursing school in the fall. It's entirely possible for motivated HS players to graduate in two years (or less) with current dual enrollment possibilities.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
AP classes, early enrollment, etc. makes it possible.
As mentioned, the "Covid" year is giving player 6 years, so if they can milk that and work towards a Masters degree, kudos to them.
Regarding the GT players "looking" after earning their undergrad degree, I tip my hat and wish them all the best (except in a game if they play against us).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not wanting to derail this thread, but also consider how many HS students are entering school with college credits already in hand. My son will graduate this year from HS with all of his core classes completed for nursing school in the fall. It's entirely possible for motivated HS players to graduate in two years (or less) with current dual enrollment possibilities.
I did this back in the mid-70’s. Then it was called Joint Enrollment. Now it’s called AP. Been around a long time, but the prereq common to both is you had/have to be a decent HS student to try. Tech recruits decent HS students. Many other programs don’t.

slugboy

Staff member
I did this back in the mid-70’s. Then it was called Joint Enrollment. Now it’s called AP. Been around a long time, but the prereq common to both is you had/have to be a decent HS student to try. Tech recruits decent HS students. Many other programs don’t.
Joint Enrollment is still the same as it was, and there are a lot of students who start that their Junior year. My son started AP his freshman year, and that’s taught by high school teachers with a test for college credit.

It used to be that an advanced student would start with sophomore level credits. Now, many or most start at that level, and some are nearly Juniors to start.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My son started his freshman year of HS taking classes at the local college. For free. The state of SC had a program for the last few years where HS students could dual enroll at local community colleges and tech schools and the state would pick up the tab. I think GA has had or maybe still has a similar program in place. This is in addition to any AP classes taken. I saw an article recently (not sports related per se) where it was discussing how more HS students are entering college with 1+ years already under their belt than ever before because of the new state laws in place encouraging it.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Tyson Meiguez was going to be really good player coming out of HS. What happened?

He tore his ACL in his first spring practice. And I think he never fully recovered enough to break into the rotation. He was in the two deep for the LB, but I don’t think he was rotated in much. Maybe first off the bench if someone got hurt type of thing.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
With so many Freshman starting in the spring, as well as taking summer semesters every year, it makes no sense to redshirt players any more. Get them on the field early or as soon as possible, because they are going to graduate Tech after three years and leave any way.
I've felt that way about redshirting for the past 15+ years. It's a relic.