Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most places will take just a straight industry degree with a teaching cert rather than a whole teaching degree.

The reason that there aren’t great teachers in STEM is because all the smart STEM people are getting paid out the wazoo to be in the field than in a classroom.
That's why the STEM teachers in my kids' HS make between $125-$175k a year for a 10-month contract. It shows in the number of STEM-related degrees these kids move into for college.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imma need the phone number for HR at your kids' HS. Never mind me, I'll just be over here prepping my resume.
It's pretty competitive and if you're not a "good" teacher, you don't last long. My wife, who has a BS and MS is Physics and a Ph.D. in an outside discipline is currently working on her MS in Education to get her teaching certificate. She is tired of teaching at a private university for peanuts.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We would be dumb not to reach out. I don’t know if bridges have been burned, but considering we will have a new coaching staff on D from when he was here, maybe we can mend the relationship. He would be the biggest transfer we have gotten so far.
Any chance....?

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe one of his relatives is on this board and use to post often. From the sound of it, Knight did not leave GT happy. However, things change...so 🤷‍♂️
So I guess that is the question...did he have a beef with a previous person and now there is a chance ? Or is the beef still around ?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty competitive and if you're not a "good" teacher, you don't last long. My wife, who has a BS and MS is Physics and a Ph.D. in an outside discipline is currently working on her MS in Education to get her teaching certificate. She is tired of teaching at a private university for peanuts.
That can’t be a public school paying that kind of salary.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
WOW...great season for Knight.

It would be hard to forget the strip sack he had in the endzone against Miami in 2019 that a fellow Tech defender recovered for a touchdown. We ended up winning that game in OT.
I was pretty excited about how his athleticism would apply to the QB position in the triple-option offense when he was recruited, but obviously, he's applying it well to the LB position now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It would be hard to forget the strip sack he had in the endzone against Miami in 2019 that a fellow Tech defender recovered for a touchdown. We ended up winning that game in OT.
I was pretty excited about how his athleticism would apply to the QB position in the triple-option offense when he was recruited, but obviously, he's applying it well to the LB position now.

Knight has exceptional athleticism and speed. Definitely looks like he's grown into LB position. Remember, he was a QB as well for us early in his career.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would take him back. But no one called to ask me.

Well, post yer number. I'm sure we can rustle up some calls for ya.

huckleberry hound boomerang GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That can’t be a public school paying that kind of salary.
Okay, my top end was too high. Top salary this past year for Science was $149,478 (12). The low was $71,478, then $84,675, then $90,487, then $99,205. The rest of the 43 were over $100k. The average for Science was $131,509. These are base salaries and do not include add-ons for Advisory (think HR teacher), coaching, leading clubs, etc. That adds about another $10-$15k.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I live in Fairfax VA and our property taxes I thought were high. Your’s must be sbsurd
yep. If you want to be a teacher, this is where you should teach. Teachers' salaries

Pay attention to the Full-Time Equivalency (FTE) column or days off (180 means family leave) when you see low figures. These are base salaries and don't include activities, which can be substantial.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
yep. If you want to be a teacher, this is where you should teach. Teachers' salaries

Pay attention to the Full-Time Equivalency (FTE) column or days off (180 means family leave) when you see low figures. These are base salaries and don't include activities, which can be substantial.
My word those are double what they are in Fairfax VA which has a good public school system. Housing prices must be insane.