Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Facts. Give 'em time. They'll learn we know how to derail and re-rail these things. Or they'll learn to steer around the tangents.
Exactly. Live look at the Swarm:

pixlr-image-generator-2f9491cf-db03-414c-91d1-9db03a4312c6 Medium.jpeg

(It wasn’t designed by a GT CE, but we love it just the same.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
New airport is KC is significantly better than the old. My company has an office out there and I have to go about once a quarter. The shuttle to/from rental car is still a PITA but the thermals are nice now.

I flew there the week the old one closed. So I flew into the old one, and out of the new one. It was like time travel. :oops:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I have two sons who went to school in chapel Hill NC. My youngest had a GT grad in middle school and a GT grad for physics in high school. I have a cousin that has a CHE degree from GT that now teaches science in Tennessee. Some of our grads pick education rather than industry. They do have to get certified.
Almost all my teachers in a Durham public high school were Duke and UNC grads. Didn’t need to go to East or CHH for quality teachers! Now, everything else, much different experience.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Almost all my teachers in a Durham public high school were Duke and UNC grads. Didn’t need to go to East or CHH for quality teachers! Now, everything else, much different experience.
Just pointing out some of our GT grads go into teaching rather than industry. Some go into industry and decide teaching is what they want to do. The teaching profession needs well educated teachers.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Just pointing out some of our GT grads go into teaching rather than industry. Some go into industry and decide teaching is what they want to do. The teaching profession needs well educated teachers.
Sorry yeah I wasn’t trying to disagree with you, just a minor tangent that the Triangle has great teachers for the most part. Coffee hitting

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
As someone who’s helped guide a couple NFL/NBA players through their college transfer portal process, one thing that’s always stuck out to me is how small the collegiate athletics world actually is.

When people like us are working at a company with good culture and you apply elsewhere, you usually try to gain as much info about the new company’s people/culture as possible (even if it’s a better title/money) because oftentimes you don’t know anyone other than who’s interviewed you.

However, this isn’t even a consideration for most of these college guys. And the reason is, because of high school elite regional/national camps, all star games, etc. these players have such a vast network of coaches and players outside of their first college. VERY rarely are players transferring to a school where they don’t know a couple players and/or coaches already. Even if it’s a friend of a friend who can connect you and give you the low down. It’s NOT like us going to a new company that’s a complete unknown. College football players have relatively the same football schedule, day-to-day life, college atmosphere, etc. from school to school. They’re all colleges with FBS football programs. It’s not as big of a risk/unknown in their personal lives as it would be for us in a somewhat comparable situation.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Teacher here after almost 30 years of engineering/management in the private sector. Now 13 years in education in both public and private schools. It's an odd thing about teaching....the rigors of an education at GT certainly help you understand the material that you are teaching. But there is a weird paradox to it....you cannot be an excellent teacher without mastery of your content. But mastery of your content doesn't necessarily make you a great teacher. I have STEM peers who have gone to school at Vandy, Stanford and Yale and we agree on this. We also think (and are peers from less respected colleges and universities) that there is nothing in undergrad that can really train ANYONE on how to be an effective educator. Most education majors I talk to feel this way...that their undergrad focuses on theory and pedagogy and does little or nothing to acclimate them to actually managing and running an effective classroom. I know that I would not have been prepared to teach when I was in my early 20's. (Nor did the thought of ever doing so ever cross my mind back in those days). I was in my early 50's the first time I taught a HS class. Most of what I needed to be effective in the classroom was learned in the 30 years prior

All this to say that I really don't know if GT would be any more effective at turning out teachers as any other school at the end of the day.

The topic of how we can increase the effectiveness of teaacher training is of great interest to me. Too many times I have seen potentially good young people get frustrated and leave the profession after only 1- 3 years after wasting 4 years on a degree that is not really transferrable to other areas. It is a shame.