Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

slugboy

Staff member
It’s good that we added a DL. It’s good that we won against other teams. We’re apparently placing a lot of emphasis on cultural fit and intangibles—we want measurables, but we also want the kind of attitude that has made teams like Pitt and Duke good for the last few seasons.

The timing is really interesting—we just added Duke’s DL coach, and they’ve had more success on the DL lately than we have—no disrespect to our guys like Biggers who are underrated.

Our timing is rough to be rebuilding our roster on defense at the same time we’re reworking our defensive staff. We need to find some players in the Spring

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Georgia has had a shortage of STEM educators since the 90s. The state offers enhanced HOPE benefits for teacher candidates that specialize in STEM and work in high need areas.

Athletics aside, I've felt for a long time it's a huge missed opportunity for our premier STEM Institute to have NO education program at all. If you don't want to dilute the value of the degree (VT has this issue) then make it a small cohorted program that is a 5 year direct-to-master's that turns out candidates qualified to teach AP Calculus and AP Sciences. Have a strong research and Doctoral program focused on educational technology and college preparation. Work on preparing Georgia's best and brightest K-12 to be the next generation of in-state students to elevate Tech's rankings.

Rant over.

The problem is the "education" degree itself. its not for training teachers at all it is actually more for training administrators it never should have been an undergraduate degree. (early childhood education is a different story but that one shuts off at 5th grade) It used to be you had to get an undergraduate in something and then get a masters in that but you could be teaching as an SME.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I've thought this for years. In a state/region that's had problems with math/science scores, it's criminal they don't use what GT offers to help there in some way.

Also agree it's unlikely to happen because ... reasons.
I have two sons who went to school in chapel Hill NC. My youngest had a GT grad in middle school and a GT grad for physics in high school. I have a cousin that has a CHE degree from GT that now teaches science in Tennessee. Some of our grads pick education rather than industry. They do have to get certified.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I've thought this for years. In a state/region that's had problems with math/science scores, it's criminal they don't use what GT offers to help there in some way.

Also agree it's unlikely to happen because ... reasons.

Most places will take just a straight industry degree with a teaching cert rather than a whole teaching degree.

The reason that there aren’t great teachers in STEM is because all the smart STEM people are getting paid out the wazoo to be in the field than in a classroom.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty big wave of talent hitting the portal today...guess it's the second post bowl wave before the portal closes.

Hope we get our DC stuff announced soon too so players feel more comfortable committing to us! Either way, we got athletes looking at us. Need to lock them in!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hope we get our DC stuff announced soon too so players feel more comfortable committing to us! Either way, we got athletes looking at us. Need to lock them in!

Usually if a coach has been hired but not announced, recruits are told who the coach is, and how the recruit will be used in the new coach's system. I'm sure they're told to keep it quiet until it's official.

This happened to our basketball team. GTSwarm was able to guess which assistant coach was hired by sleuthing a new player's recent Twitter follow.