Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Sirad Bryant.

Of the currently 20 outgoing players, only 3 have found new homes so far - Kennard to USCe, Johnson to Utah, and Dixon to South Alabama.
So I wonder what this means. I wonder if they are getting contacts/offers ? Are teams waiting ?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sirad Bryant.

Of the currently 20 outgoing players, only 3 have found new homes so far - Kennard to USCe, Johnson to Utah, and Dixon to South Alabama.

Bryant was a good get out of HS. Top 50 GA recruit, and starred on both sides of the ball.

Wonder what happened here. Higher rated than a couple of guys who have turned out to be starters in our secondary.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Frankly, I think it means entering the portal without a landing spot may not have been a good idea.
I'm sure it's violated often, but the NCAA's tampering rules prevent any contact with opponent coaches before entering the portal. So obviously there should be no landing spot.

If they are playing by the rules, it is certainly possible some players entered the portal with the intent of "seeing what's out there" and may still return.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure it's violated often, but the NCAA's tampering rules prevent any contact with opponent coaches before entering the portal. So obviously there should be no landing spot.

If they are playing by the rules, it is certainly possible some players entered the portal with the intent of "seeing what's out there" and may still return.
ESJ made comments that many teams reached out to his family. He never even entered the portal lol.

What’s frustrating is you know that if we did it, we’d get sanctioned to hell and back. But any other team can and it’s okay.

slugboy

Staff member
If we offered a teaching degree, a bachelor’s or master’s in education would be a good fit for graduates. even though teaching is a really stressful environment these days, a number of athletes want to get into coaching

Not likely to happen here

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we offered a teaching degree, a bachelor’s or master’s in education would be a good fit for graduates. even though teaching is a really stressful environment these days, a number of athletes want to get into coaching

Georgia has had a shortage of STEM educators since the 90s. The state offers enhanced HOPE benefits for teacher candidates that specialize in STEM and work in high need areas.

Athletics aside, I've felt for a long time it's a huge missed opportunity for our premier STEM Institute to have NO education program at all. If you don't want to dilute the value of the degree (VT has this issue) then make it a small cohorted program that is a 5 year direct-to-master's that turns out candidates qualified to teach AP Calculus and AP Sciences. Have a strong research and Doctoral program focused on educational technology and college preparation. Work on preparing Georgia's best and brightest K-12 to be the next generation of in-state students to elevate Tech's rankings.

Rant over.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I've thought this for years. In a state/region that's had problems with math/science scores, it's criminal they don't use what GT offers to help there in some way.

Also agree it's unlikely to happen because ... reasons.