Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
On which board? We’re 34 on Rivals and 37 on 247.

The NFL draft talking heads are silly, but at least they look at team needs vs who the team drafted. I don’t think Key cares about our class ranking.

I’d like to see a few interior DL incoming transfers. I think we can find someone good.
247 has us over all at #45 (recruits & transfers)
Syracuse is #37 overall
Vandy is just below Cuse

slugboy

Staff member
Syracuse is #37 overall
Vandy is just below Cuse
The transfer portal just opened, and it’s open into early January, plus there’s a Spring window.
Even if I cared about the 247 grades, I wouldn’t care about the transfer grades yet. It’s too early.
At the point, what I want is a great RB and some talented interior DL, and we have time for that.
How we finish the defensive coaching staff is huge, and might have something to do with who we can get.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse is #37 overall
Vandy is just below Cuse
There's not a whole lot of difference between about #20 and #40 or so. Just fractional most of the time, especially if you look at average stars. First, the guys who do those evaluations are not professional coaches. Second, the untrained eye can distinguish the "men among boys" at the HS level - the 5* crowd, and to a lesser degree, those who are just better players - the 4* crowd. Third, most all of the rest are system guys, guys with some or no upside, sometimes a lot, guys who are playing in poor programs, and guys who have had little to no S&C and can still develop into solid college players, etc. My take is don't sweat it. If these are the guys our coaches want, then I want them, too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

"Coach, didju forget your waffle house cup?...."

Fresh Prince Jazz GIF by Nick At Nite

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Syracuse is #37 overall
Vandy is just below Cuse
ESPN has us at #35.

Vandy is at #45 and Syracuse at #50.

Now…what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? For me, it re-emphasizes the notion that ratings are biased, and remarkably unscientific.*

Our last coach focused on recruiting ratings, probably more than he did playing ability. Just like I did under CPJ, I’m going to put my trust in our coaches knowing who we need, and who has the right skills/talent to a) get into Tech and b) fit in our scheme.

Either way, the die is cast. I’m excited at the signees we’ve got, and at the more likely on the way in the spring!

*Although all things considered, since they’re closely tied to the playoff, I’d probably take being ranked higher in the ESPN recruiting polls than the others.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
ESPN has us at #35.

Vandy is at #45 and Syracuse at #50.

Now…what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? For me, it re-emphasizes the notion that ratings are biased, and remarkably unscientific.*

Our last coach focused on recruiting ratings, probably more than he did playing ability. Just like I did under CPJ, I’m going to put my trust in our coaches knowing who we need, and who has the right skills/talent to a) get into Tech and b) fit in our scheme.

Either way, the die is cast. I’m excited at the signees we’ve got, and at the more likely on the way in the spring!

*Although all things considered, since they’re closely tied to the playoff, I’d probably take being ranked higher in the ESPN recruiting polls than the others.
Dang though, that #1 class the last 2 years has won the Natty.
The talent disparity matters

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The top 10 classes are full of “men among boys.” Those are just better, all things being equal, than those classes lower than them.
You got that right!
2* are all those HS offensive linemen who just look like tall fat kids.
5* linemen look like Hulk Hogan in his prime!