Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Those 131 runs in 2022 didn’t seem to amount to anything crazy though… averaging 4.3 yards is exactly what Trey Cooley did for us this year. Take out that one 80 yard run he had on us, and it’s probably for like 4 flat or less (idc enough to do the math but I’m sure somebody here will). I’m sure he’s solid, but I wish we were aiming a little higher…
Am I wrong to think this? Wonder how he stacks up to the average fbs RB numbers
Considering we are neither a destination school for football nor flush with NIL money we are not getting a top flight transfer RB via the Portal. We do need some depth at the position. RBs get banged up frequently even if it is only for a partial game. Tough position physically.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Those 131 runs in 2022 didn’t seem to amount to anything crazy though… averaging 4.3 yards is exactly what Trey Cooley did for us this year. Take out that one 80 yard run he had on us, and it’s probably for like 4 flat or less (idc enough to do the math but I’m sure somebody here will). I’m sure he’s solid, but I wish we were aiming a little higher…
Am I wrong to think this? Wonder how he stacks up to the average fbs RB numbers
One thing - he's listed at 210 lbs., 30 lbs. heavier than Haynes. We do need some more beef in the backfield. Hope he's recovered from his injury.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind about Green is his ability in the passing game. This season, about 1 in 5 completed passes in our offense went to our RBs, and Green had a good year in the passing game for UNC from the backfield in 2022 with 17 receptions. Haynes, who led our RBs in receptions this year, had 20 receptions this season.

I wouldn't read to much into Green's YPC average. He'll be playing in a different type of offense, and our guys seem to have good runs if they're decisive and run without hesitation.

Green can fit our offense from a pure running standpoint, and his history in the passing game gives us a clue that he would do well in our passing game as well.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a RB as recruits are flipping on us!
Not picking on you whatsoever, but the majority of what’s going on right now is us telling recruits to look elsewhere, not necessarily them just flipping on us. This is probably due to us having a good amount of transfer commits and possible a few more high school commits, not all of them public at the moment. In addition, we are probably looking to add talent that fits our schemes now, not just talent in general like we had to do last year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Green was expected to play more this season but Omarion Hampton came out of nowhere to be a top 5 running back in the country (at worst). Also they are pretty set with Caleb Hood and British Brooks too. Makes a ton of sense for Green to leave.

I’m hearing that Tim McFarlin is playing a significant role in this one specifically.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This transfer portal thing has a long way to go. It will open up again around spring practice time and there will be another wave of a 1,000 or so that join the 2,000 or so that will still be out there looking for a place to land. If we don't get this guy, there will be plenty more to choose from. Maybe one of the Defensive Backs or Wide Receivers will get a shot at RB like Jamal Haynes did last year. He is the best we have right now and who knows there may be others that can blossom if they switch positions.

Go Jackets!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We currently have 13 scholarship DBs on roster. Two portal signees make 15 then 4 committed puts us at 19. Little excessive when 23% of your roster is DBs

Might not be excessive. The 5 OL positions try for 15 to 19 schlorships. There are 5 DB positions also and more DBs play STs than do O lineman.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Might not be excessive. The 5 OL positions try for 15 to 19 schlorships. There are 5 DB positions also and more DBs play STs than do O lineman.
Theoretically, if you divide 80 of the scholarship players on the team in half, for offense and defense, then you get 40 per team. OL, not counting TE, are 5/11ths of an 11-man unit. That is 45.5% of the unit. 45.5% of 40 is 18, which is the proportional number of OL you would want in a perfectly balanced system. That's three full lines plus 3. Of course, there may be reasons that you want to deviate from that number either short or long term.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, to me, pay for NIL (name, image, likeness) is different from pay for play.

Is pay for play legal at the collegiate level?

Are there any NCAA rules for pay for play?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, to me, pay for NIL (name, image, likeness) is different from pay for play.

Is pay for play legal at the collegiate level?

Are there any NCAA rules for pay for play?
Per the NIL rules, pay for play is not allowed. At all. Hard stop.

(But all the boosters who think they can buy a championship for their school are basically thumbing their nose at the NCAA until it tries to enforce anything. And given the way things have been going for the NCAA on these sorts of topics lately, I doubt we'll see any enforcement happening.)