Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Beginning to wonder if we are going to run the 3-3-5 as our base defense. Heavily focused on DBs even though we already have so many
3 very seasoned/experienced leaving (2 graduated, 1 transferred out). 2 experienced portal DBs coming in.

Tr-fr DB don't usually contribute, so shouldn't expect 3 incoming tr-fr coming in to play.

4-6 take the field at a time depending on situation (i.e. nickel, dime). Have to account for injuries/have depth. I don't know how many DB is ideal to carry on a roster, so I don't know if we have a lot of DBs or not. Glad to get some experienced guys in though.

finalbuzzer

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed. I like first world problems Somehow, the staffs at OSU, Bama, Uga, tc. have managed to juggle these two priorities pretty well over the years. But if I were to prioritize one over the other, talent acquisition has greater significance than a December bowl game.

Agreed. I like first world problems Somehow, the staffs at OSU, Bama, Uga, tc. have managed to juggle these two priorities pretty well over the years. But if I were to prioritize one over the other, talent acquisition has greater significance than a December bowl game.
I expect bowl games will enhance our talent acquisition activities. We tend to focus on the extra practice time for current guys but it can impact future commits as well.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We have Biggers, Lockett and Douse coming back at the DT positions correct? And they were all contributors as far as I recall. One really good player here and we could be set barring injuries. Is Etinosa Reuben played or have a chance?

Pugh, Collins, Harris, Robinson, Youndjouen, Eddie Kelly on the edges/DE.

I feel Like Collins, Harris and Kelly will play in the bowl game and we can see more from them. I think Youndjouen is one more injury from retirement. Isn’t he on his 3rd ACL tear?

I would guess that we need a minimum of 2 more and possibly 3 at DL and DE for depth?

I think we have some young guys like Cruz, Tatum(portal???) and Meiguez that can step into some of the DB and LB roles that we need. Not nearly as concerned with the back end and have 0 concern for the O side of the ball.

We have plenty of bodies but a couple “war daddies” could really put us into contention to compete for the ACC.
Love the optimism. I have seen nothing from our defense than makes me optimistic in the slights! Opposite if our offense where I am very optimistic.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
3 very seasoned/experienced leaving (2 graduated, 1 transferred out). 2 experienced portal DBs coming in.

Tr-fr DB don't usually contribute, so shouldn't expect 3 incoming tr-fr coming in to play.

4-6 take the field at a time depending on situation (i.e. nickel, dime). Have to account for injuries/have depth. I don't know how many DB is ideal to carry on a roster, so I don't know if we have a lot of DBs or not. Glad to get some experienced guys in though.

We currently have 13 scholarship DBs on roster. Two portal signees make 15 then 4 committed puts us at 19. Little excessive when 23% of your roster is DBs

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Love the optimism. I have seen nothing from our defense than makes me optimistic in the slights! Opposite if our offense where I am very optimistic.
My only reason for hope (note I purposely am not calling it optimism) is that Key made some pretty good hires on the offensive side of the ball and I’m translating that into the hope he is able to do the same or even half as good on defense. That doesn’t solve the jimmies and joes issues but it would be a start.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We currently have 13 scholarship DBs on roster. Two portal signees make 15 then 4 committed puts us at 19. Little excessive when 23% of your roster is DBs
Not really when they make half your defense a big part of the game and spend the most time running full-out (i.e. need the most substitutions on the field).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My only reason for hope (note I purposely am not calling it optimism) is that Key made some pretty good hires on the offensive side of the ball and I’m translating that into the hope he is able to do the same or even half as good on defense. That doesn’t solve the jimmies and joes issues but it would be a start.
It would be a start for sure. In my view an offense is easier to fix with an excellent OC and QB. The defense needs more jimmys and joes across the board. An excellent DC can cover some weaknesses but still needs lots of very good players in today's game as the rules favor the offense.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Post spring 2023 the pups had 16 Scholly DBs. So if we have 19 once the spring portal closes, yeah, 19 would be a curiously high number.

For now the winter portal is still open. For that matter early signing isn't even here yet. We could lose DBs tomorrow. Or gain more, then lose some in the spring portal after spring practice.

But let's say that 19 is the number we end up with. Is quantity all that matters? What about position? Some CB are not good S and vice versa.

4 of the 19 will be tr-fr who aren't likely to play and have 0 game reps. CB Kenan, S King, and CB Sims had a boatload of game reps. Maybe taking two portal CBs who have a lot of game reps to replace what we've lost is a good idea?

Again I don't know...I'm just a stupid fan with no inside scoop. I guess I'll worry when the final numbers are known. Would be great to grab a bunch of bad mofos at DL and LB.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Was he hurt this season? Carried the ball 4 times. Last year had 131 carries:

Evidently was injured this past season. Grad transfer with 2 years eligibility. Listed at 5'11 210lbs. Would make a nice complement for Jamal Haynes.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Was he hurt this season? Carried the ball 4 times. Last year had 131 carries:

Those 131 runs in 2022 didn’t seem to amount to anything crazy though… averaging 4.3 yards is exactly what Trey Cooley did for us this year. Take out that one 80 yard run he had on us, and it’s probably for like 4 flat or less (idc enough to do the math but I’m sure somebody here will). I’m sure he’s solid, but I wish we were aiming a little higher…
Am I wrong to think this? Wonder how he stacks up to the average fbs RB numbers