Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it’s just getting progressively worse for die hards.
College football is a worse product than it used to be, and that’s just the matchups/conferences. Throw in a dash of 1/3 of your team turning over to transfers every year, and it’s purely nostalgia and being a past time that holds it all together.

I too have bemoaned all the changes to the sport over the last 20 years (the playoff system, conference expansion, NIL, the portal, etc.) like most of the rest of us on this thread and on this board.

WTBS, and just playing devil's advocate, the game has game through several seismic shifts in the last 100+ years....the introduction of the forward pass, two platoon system, integration, expansion of the bowl games, etc.,,,and prospered. At the time of each of those changes I imagine there was similar wailing and gnashing of teeth. I guess are we the modern version of the Luddites who are predicting the collapse of the game when it might in fact not only survive but grow in prosperity just as it did after the other major shifts mentioned above? Why is it different this time?

Let me be clear...I don't particulary care for the modern state of affairs. The FSU snub comes very close to being the proverbial last straw for me. I just want to consider things from other perspectives.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Transfers change the game of college football but I don't get to worried about transfers out in isolation. We need to look at the full equation at the end. As long as transfers IN generate a net plus vs transfers out we will continue to get better. I am excited to see what Key pulls in this year after the great group of transfers we got last year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I too have bemoaned all the changes to the sport over the last 20 years (the playoff system, conference expansion, NIL, the portal, etc.) like most of the rest of us on this thread and on this board.

WTBS, and just playing devil's advocate, the game has game through several seismic shifts in the last 100+ years....the introduction of the forward pass, two platoon system, integration, expansion of the bowl games, etc.,,,and prospered. At the time of each of those changes I imagine there was similar wailing and gnashing of teeth. I guess are we the modern version of the Luddites who are predicting the collapse of the game when it might in fact not only survive but grow in prosperity just as it did after the other major shifts mentioned above? Why is it different this time?

Let me be clear...I don't particulary care for the modern state of affairs. The FSU snub comes very close to being the proverbial last straw for me. I just want to consider things from other perspectives.
Would be interesting to see if viewership decreased slightly after each of those changes like it seems to be doing these days. I think the biggest issue for keeping cfb expanding is that it seems each generation is interested less and less. You are losing more fans just by the older generations dying out and not being replaced by younger fans, but all the changes recently are basically throwing gas on the fire and causing existing fans to be turned off too.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Apparently over 900 players entered the portal Monday. That’s insane. There’s 0 chance all of them (or even probably most of them) find a home

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A lot of them are not there voluntarily. Keep that in mind.

Hopefully the kids that are being forced out are able to find a place that wants them.

Can the Swarm force posters into the portal? Asking for a friend.

Stalking George Clooney GIF

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully the kids that are being forced out are able to find a place that wants them.

Agree. Swarm definitely needs to force posters with bad taste in ice cream into the portal...not naming any names, but there's a self anointed Get Bak coach who should be posting his drivel elsewhere...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Transfers change the game of college football but I don't get to worried about transfers out in isolation. We need to look at the full equation at the end. As long as transfers IN generate a net plus vs transfers out we will continue to get better. I am excited to see what Key pulls in this year after the great group of transfers we got last year.
Transfers are a fact of life. I just hope we don't lose too many of our better players on defense, like we did last year. Those defections hurt a lot.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree. Swarm definitely needs to force posters with bad taste in ice cream into the portal...not naming any names, but there's a self anointed Get Bak coach who should be posting his drivel elsewhere...

That'll happen right after they force out all the sanctimonious ice cream snobs who eat sherbet with a pinky poked out.

I heard a rumor the mods have asked you to come to their office. Oh, and bring your playbook...

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by NETFLIX

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That'll happen right after they force out all the sanctimonious ice cream snobs who eat sherbet with a pinky poked out.

I heard a rumor the mods have asked you to come to their office. Oh, and bring your playbook...

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by NETFLIX

I may be sanctimonious, but I do NOT eat my ice cream with my pinky out! Thems fighting words fake Get Bak coach.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Do you not understand the sport has been corrupt all these years? As a GT fan how can you accept what this system did to us in 1990? Not only did this system pay Notre Dame to play in the Orange Bowl instead of an undefeated GT, this system also had the media give Colorado the Natty. Do you not realize we were 1 vote away from being undefeated and having nothing to show for it? We were FSU in 1990 and you seem more upset about them than what this exact system has done to your own team. My last straw was when I was 20 years old in 1990 and I saw how this system screwed us in the rankings all season long. I could write a 10 page essay on how that season played out and how we got hosed week to week and had to have divine intervention to get the shared Natty.

You are correct that the expanded playoffs will make this sport more prosperous because the more fanbases they involve the more money and better TV numbers the sport will get. If some fans who love the corrupt past and bought the mirage of the ”pageantry of bowls” leave the sport they’ll be easily replaced by fans of teams who will have hope because they aren’t eliminated from playoff contention by Sept 21. HOPE is what fans yearn for and right now only about 10 fanbases have hope season to season. Expanded playoffs will give all teams HOPE into late October and November. And currently, 12 fanbases will have hope into mid December. And within a decade 24-32 fanbases will have hope all December.

And I don’t buy for a minute that most posters on this board bemoan the changes to this sport over the past 20 years. We have playoffs instead of a beauty pageant, we have better conference games due to expansion, and our current beloved QB was a portal guy.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

There have been a few over the years that were good posters but did not quite fit our "scheme" here (for you scheme guys) and were helped in their decisions to find better opportunities at other sites where they could thrive and prosper. Trust me, the decisions are not made lightly and the posters are involved in these discussions from the get go so no poster is necessarily surprised when the break up occurs. It can be painful but this board cannot keep up in today's market by keeping everyone. Posters need to produce...this is a big boy business nowadays. ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do you not understand the sport has been corrupt all these years? As a GT fan how can you accept what this system did to us in 1990? Not only did this system pay Notre Dame to play in the Orange Bowl instead of an undefeated GT, this system also had the media give Colorado the Natty. Do you not realize we were 1 vote away from being undefeated and having nothing to show for it? We were FSU in 1990 and you seem more upset about them than what this exact system has done to your own team. My last straw was when I was 20 years old in 1990 and I saw how this system screwed us in the rankings all season long. I could write a 10 page essay on how that season played out and how we got hosed week to week and had to have divine intervention to get the shared Natty.

You are correct that the expanded playoffs will make this sport more prosperous because the more fanbases they involve the more money and better TV numbers the sport will get. If some fans who love the corrupt past and bought the mirage of the ”pageantry of bowls” leave the sport they’ll be easily replaced by fans of teams who will have hope because they aren’t eliminated from playoff contention by Sept 21. HOPE is what fans yearn for and right now only about 10 fanbases have hope season to season. Expanded playoffs will give all teams HOPE into late October and November. And currently, 12 fanbases will have hope into mid December. And within a decade 24-32 fanbases will have hope all December.

And I don’t buy for a minute that most posters on this board bemoan the changes to this sport over the past 20 years. We have playoffs instead of a beauty pageant, we have better conference games due to expansion, and our current beloved QB was a portal guy.
There is a lot of pent up frustration here my friend. I do not want to paraphrase incorrectly but, if I understand you correctly, then you are one who thinks the sport IS in fact progressing and that these changes help rather than hurt the sport? Am I reading this correctly? If so, do you think the recent turn of events will attract more fans than will leave. I do know this, I used to watch the bowls when they were fun endings to good seasons. It was my one opportunity to sit down and relax and watch teams that I normally never get to see. Now that the bowls have no value, I only watch the ones that GT play in. None of the others and none of the playoffs. My first playoff viewing will be the one that Tech participates in. So I am one viewer that has been lost over the last x years. But they may be replacing us with new fans at a rate greater than some of us are leaving.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am pleasantly surprised that we only have a handful of guys (only 1 real contributor) in the portal. I know I am jinxing us as i say this...but just an observation.
Completely agree. Pleasantly surprised to this point (knock on wood). I would have expected more at the rate other schools are losing transfers.

Let's hope we can hold strong on what we have, and then use the openings we do have to bring in some high impact guys.

Goal of the portal every year just needs to be to bring in more production than you let out.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of pent up frustration here my friend. I do not want to paraphrase incorrectly but, if I understand you correctly, then you are one who thinks the sport IS in fact progressing and that these changes help rather than hurt the sport? Am I reading this correctly? If so, do you think the recent turn of events will attract more fans than will leave. I do know this, I used to watch the bowls when they were fun endings to good seasons. It was my one opportunity to sit down and relax and watch teams that I normally never get to see. Now that the bowls have no value, I only watch the ones that GT play in. None of the others and none of the playoffs. My first playoff viewing will be the one that Tech participates in. So I am one viewer that has been lost over the last x years. But they may be replacing us with new fans at a rate greater than some of us are leaving.
Here’s my deal - I freaking love college football even though I fully understand that it has been totally corrupt for decades. And my team, GT, gets screwed by the NCAA way more than my team ever benefits from the NCAA. But I still love it because of the passion of the fans and the upsets that often happen. Seriously, will anyone say that todays system is worse than when editors of newspapers picked the national champion knowing they’d lose all access to schools if they didn’t vote for local teams such as ND, Bama, USC, etc. Everyone knew that ND or Michigan would get every vote from the north just like the Bear knew he could strong arm every reporter in the south.

The sport is absolutely progressing with a real playoff system. The TV ratings and record TV contracts prove this. It’s still corrupt as we just saw but going to 12 and then the next iteration of 20plus will at least give more than 6-8 teams a chance to win it on the field. GT will continue to get screwed because we have a proven track record of bending over (why isn’t our banner up in our stadium from 2009? - because we are gutless).

Now I get that every fan has a choice. You clearly are falling out of love with the sport. I get it. I used to love NASCAR but haven’t watched a race in 4 years now. I use to watch the NFL but now rarely do. But I accept that it’s a “me” issue and not the sport issue. You and I will be easily replaced by newer fans. My son is a 3rd year GT student. Did you see the student section this season? Those kids have suffered their entire college life under the previous guy. Guess what the portal delivered to them? A top tier college QB! Those kids have no problem with the portal or NIL. And my son laughs at the idea of national champions being “crowned” by a random poll. I also don’t watch bowl games like I used to but that’s on me not on the sport. I will however watch the playoff games because they actually lead to something unlike bowl games.

Sure, I’m concerned as a GT fan of what the future holds for us as these changes happen but that isn’t a college football issue. That‘s a GT issue because we have made such poor choices over our history that we have zero power and control. That’s on us. I hope we get picked up when the ACC dies a beautiful death but if we don’t we have no one to blame but ourselves. We said no to the SEC and we said no to the BIG. The problem lies in the mirror.