Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Money (NIL) is driving this and the factories with the BIG money will outbid the have-nots for talent. The have-nots will develop some talent, like the minor leagues in baseball, but will get nothing in return for the cost inputs made to develop the talent that departs for good NIL paydays. If you don’t see the end to major college football as we know it, it is coming.

This has largely already happened - it is just easier to see.
For example, the top 5 schools in the country in AA revenue are Ohio St, Texas, AL, Mich, and UGA. All 5 are among the 8 that can make the CFP this year and all 5 would make it under the new 12 team model next year.

The vast majority of the spots in the CFP will come from the top 20 AA Revenue schools year in and year out. There will be 1 or 2 every year from outside the Top 20.
That is where CFB already is.

Most teams moving conferences won't matter to their success on the field. That success is largely reserved to the richest of the schools and there is nothing on the horizon that will change that.

Some fans believe that expanding the playoffs is going to expand interest but I suspect they are incorrect. It will largely be the same schools every year vying for playoff spots.

The schools that make the most revenue aren't doing that because they are in the SEC or B1G. They are doing that because they have the largest followings that support them. They would largely make that revenue regardless of which conference they are in.

At the end of the day the TV money is relatively small potatoes. GT got $40M or so last year in media revenue and its total AA Revenue was $106M.
Ohio St got about $60M from media revenue and total AA revenue of $251MM.
That is why there are literally only a handful of schools that can compete for a NC year in and year out.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Money (NIL) is driving this and the factories with the BIG money will outbid the have-nots for talent. The have-nots will develop some talent, like the minor leagues in baseball, but will get nothing in return for the cost inputs made to develop the talent that departs for good NIL paydays. If you don’t see the end to major college football as we know it, it is coming.
At least with minor leagues you might still be a fan of the player if he Is in an organization you’re a fan of. Or you can see it coming with how well they are playing. For college football, all we get is a encrypted message saying “#Mypath 🙏” and copy/paste notes app message

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At least with minor leagues you might still be a fan of the player if he Is in an organization you’re a fan of. Or you can see it coming with how well they are playing. For college football, all we get is a encrypted message saying “#Mypath 🙏” and copy/paste notes app message
CFB is going to have to fix the open free agency model that now exists. Fans are already getting tired of this in a hurry - all over. It's going to have to go to tightly controlled NIL/Portal transfer rates or the players will become contractors who sign 4-year contracts.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
All it will take is one booster rich enough to have a strong legal team to figure out the right wording of a contract for an NIL deal that has dire consequences if the player transfers(like if you break this contract we get a % of your NIL from the next school etc) and it will make headlines and all other schools will then follow. Even in that scenario, players will still leave(current team is offering $1 million, new team is offering $4 million but I have to share half of that with the old team, oh well $2 million is still more than $1 million), but it certainly won’t be as often.

beeteam

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't hate the player...I hate the game. I do not blame players for wanting to maximize their earnings as quickly as possible since their career could end on any play. As far as the game...the most logical approach to me would be for all college sports to mirror baseball where the pro leagues pay for their farm systems. The big revenue schools will never go for this, but I can dream.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could fix this but doesn't have the balls
1) Any player that goes in the portal with less than 3 full years at the school he signed to play for, said school that signs him must pay the school the player is coming from for all his tuition room meals everything for the time he was on scholarship.
2) Any player the goes in the portal to make more money with the NIL the school signing him must also pay said school that player leaves the SAME amount of money as the player is getting.
3) no school can sign more than 5 players a year from the portal.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with any of this. Everyone is finally being honest for the first time ever. It’s the fans who have been living in denial all these decades who have built up this sport as if it isn’t all about self serving.

I’ll root for the 11 players on the field wearing GT uniforms in the next game. Off the field I care about them as much as they care about me. Same with coaches, AD’s, and school Presidents. Everyone is self serving while smiling at each other.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking this year may be a little different in type, quality of player we replace players with, this can be a much more desirable place to come than just a year ago, right additions can be an upgrade for us and with the right additions we could be a championship caliber team next fall and potential players coming to GT see this. We're getting ready to find out if I'm right about that I expect. I've been looking forward to Dec and Jan for a few weeks now. What I've never known is whether we have the money folks lined up yet, I'm guessing we do, it's why we brought J Batt in.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Donate to NIL so the players can take my money then leave for more money. I can’t donate more than Disney can to the SEC
I would rather watch GT athletics (and all of college sports, especially football & basketball) die a long, slow, painful death, than give any money to a player who is simply using their opportunity at Georgia Tech to make a paycheck. As soon as a higher offer comes in they’re gone, so why would I waste my time and money on them if they don’t even want to be here? This isn’t what college athletics was intended to be used for, and it damn sure ain’t what Georgia Tech represents, at least not to me. I don’t plan on ever contributing to any sort of NIL fund, and I hope eventually more and more like minded people will stand up to these kids who are just using them to siphon money.

Also, I am fully aware that college presidents, faculty, coaches, administrators, etc. are doing the same thing, and I also don’t contribute to their funds. What I contribute is earmarked for specific purposes, and if I ever found out it wasn’t being used for what I intended it to be used on, I’d be done with that too.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Who needs loyalty when you have money? Isn’t the big thing now to jump ship every 3-4 years to get a raise for a lateral move?

Let’s face it. Our society has quietly (or maybe quite loudly) been spiraling into a culture of “Look out for yourself. Screw the rest”.

While I understand wanting to take care of yourself and those around you first, I think there’s a big disservice being done to these athletes.

I mean what does this teach them? If you don’t wanna compete, just leave? When the going gets tough, give up?

If I walked out of my office everytime I came across a difficult problem or project, I might as well work from home.

I’m gonna sound like an old coot, but money and the love of it, has ruined college athletics. Give the students a full ride and allow them to get a quality degree.

But with sports betting, and NIL, and everything it almost feels exploitative of these students.

They’re STUDENT athletes. Not the other way around.
So if your boss said sorry dude you are not going to get to lead any projects going forward and you won't get promoted here. Would you listen when a competitor asked you to come work for them with a significant salary bump and a chance for a promotion from your current level?

Of course you would entertain the offer. Obviously as adults we often have family considerations, however, generally the college athletes don't have that as a consideration.

The players are exhibiting rational market behavior.

I does suck for the fans for sure.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
CFB is going to have to fix the open free agency model that now exists. Fans are already getting tired of this in a hurry - all over. It's going to have to go to tightly controlled NIL/Portal transfer rates or the players will become contractors who sign 4-year contracts.
Which fans are getting tired of it? Probably not the fans who tune in every week to see ND, Bama, Texas, Oregon, Ohio St, etc... Those fans likely either don't care because they just want to watch the big name teams play/win or they are happy that it makes those teams better so they are always at the top. The fans who are tired of it are people like you and me who care a lot about some of the teams that are getting pillaged regularly. How much do you think CFB cares about fixing something only we think is broken? And by we I mean only the fans of the teams who aren't important to CFB anyway. I guess I am as cynical about CFB as I am about the NCAA and who they care about.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Which fans are getting tired of it? Probably not the fans who tune in every week to see ND, Bama, Texas, Oregon, Ohio St, etc... Those fans likely either don't care because they just want to watch the big name teams play/win or they are happy that it makes those teams better so they are always at the top. The fans who are tired of it are people like you and me who care a lot about some of the teams that are getting pillaged regularly. How much do you think CFB cares about fixing something only we think is broken? And by we I mean only the fans of the teams who aren't important to CFB anyway. I guess I am as cynical about CFB as I am about the NCAA and who they care about.
OK, first off, there are 8 teams in the hunt for the CFP. That leaves aboit 120 or so to be disgruntled about it. Second, even Saban, Kiffen, Smart, and Swinney have made some level of negative comment on the practice. IMPO, it’s just not popular with anyone except the players.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
OK, first off, there are 8 teams in the hunt for the CFP. That leaves aboit 120 or so to be disgruntled about it. Second, even Saban, Kiffen, Smart, and Swinney have made some level of negative comment on the practice. IMPO, it’s just not popular with anyone except the players.
The system sucks. However, only TCU last year is an outlier for who has played for the College Football Championship in a long time. No outlier has ever won the Championship game.

GT is likely the last Outlier for an NC back in 1990.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking this year may be a little different in type, quality of player we replace players with, this can be a much more desirable place to come than just a year ago, right additions can be an upgrade for us and with the right additions we could be a championship caliber team next fall and potential players coming to GT see this. We're getting ready to find out if I'm right about that I expect. I've been looking forward to Dec and Jan for a few weeks now. What I've never known is whether we have the money folks lined up yet, I'm guessing we do, it's why we brought J Batt in.
Agree that we will soon see if it’s one step forward and two back or whether we really start to improve the quality of athletes coming here. With all the players wanting to maximize their earnings potential we will see if a Tech degree is the X factor that puts us over the hump.