Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
If we’ve learned anything from the previous two coaches, it’s not to trust the number of stars. Collins brought in 4 and 5 stars that never produced or saw the field…meanwhile CPJ made 2 stars look like 4 and 5 star players.

I hope Key and his staff make transfer decisions based off collegiate film/performances and not just perceived talent from high school recruiting.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 15232

Hoping this isn’t a sign of dissatisfaction from Zeek. Dude has been a decently critical part of our front 7. He’s been great for us and it would be a huge blow to lose him.
I wonder if this has anything to do with only being an honorable mention All-ACC player. He put up enough stats and made a big enough difference to get more recognition than that.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1. Rush DE
2. LB
3. Runstopper DT
4. Possession WR
5. Big Playmaker WR
6. TE
7. 220 lb RB
We are losing the RG and 54 at RT has started 4 years (he may be COVID eligible to come back but is he?) 16 was a good N in coverage and he is gone but we need a bigger run stopper replacement who can cover.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Miami RB that fumbled due to coach’s bet on the game- Don Chaney Jr
Is in the portal as of today. HARD old school runner. Breaks tackles every play.

I think Faulkner's ideal RBs are guys that can run the ball, but also move around the formation to be receivers. I think it's a one reason why Jamal Haynes was moved to RB. This season, GT RBs accounted for close to 20% (exactly 17.86%) of the total receptions. Basically one out of every 5 passes were completed to RBs.

Chaney was not very involved with Miami's passing game this year in terms of receptions. He only caught 5 passes this year, 17 total his 3 years at Miami.

Jolly Good Fellow
Cooley tiptoes and does not hit the hole hard at all. He also never makes the first guy miss. The offense this year started clicking when Smith began playing. Not that he was the most important player or even great but because we needed somone else besides Haynes who would hit the hole hard and make the first guy miss. Haynes is small and needs some help and as good as he is the position requires rotation. I am confident we should be able to find somebody in the portal. A decent running back that looks at film would like his chances with this line, QB, and fast receivers to have some running lanes. Felix would have to really grow up to fill that role.
dontae was “great” in last 4 games.
he was absolutely “ one of” the reasons we got better.
made our OL look better, too.
our OL went from weakness to strength after dontae “came back” from….something…

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Faulkner's ideal RBs are guys that can run the ball, but also move around the formation to be receivers. I think it's a one reason why Jamal Haynes was moved to RB. This season, GT RBs accounted for close to 20% (exactly 17.86%) of the total receptions. Basically one out of every 5 passes were completed to RBs.

Chaney was not very involved with Miami's passing game this year in terms of receptions. He only caught 5 passes this year, 17 total his 3 years at Miami.
Faulk’s RBs must pass block… can’t do that, not getting on the field

Jolly Good Fellow
We are losing the RG and 54 at RT has started 4 years (he may be COVID eligible to come back but is he?) 16 was a good N in coverage and he is gone but we need a bigger run stopper replacement who can cover.
Our CBs could not tackle, our safeties could not cover, our DL got zero push… but our biggest hole is/was LB… good news here is that it is easy-ish position to get help via portal

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
yep, and he had that plan because he didn't have a sure thing 220 lb back for 1 yd vs that line. lol
You know this for a fact or are you making assumptions? I also recall when Mason was at Tech and the teams ability to convert short yardage downs was abysmal. It has less to do with the size of the RB and more to do with the offensive line. If the line can get movement at the point of attack, the size of the ball carrier is not important.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Some people like me are slow learners. The Bowling Green and Boston College games kind of highlight the needs as did the UGA running back that rushed for a career high against us. Besides the list was TIC in some ways.
It's a message board, that's what happens on message boards. :unsure: :beercheers: