Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stone played limited snaps his first two years at GT. His third season he played in all 12 games with modest success. He blew up in Spring Camp and had a great Spring Game, leading to his designation as Spring Game Captain and getting an award for best DL. Shortly thereafter Lane Kiffin came sniffin' and Stone transferred out. We will have more transfers out after the Spring Game, either because players don't see a playing future for themselves or because other schools come calling.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I would bet this essentially has already happened in one way or another. We likely just didn’t outbid what the market wanted for Akelo the way we probably did for Zeek.

I would imagine each year going forward, our top producers or their parents get a phone call or whatever from some SEC or B1G school (like singleton’s parents openly did) , offering a good amount. It’s then a discussion between coaches whether they are worth that money or not.

I think Zeek’s immovable hole plugging style is really sought after, and our couches know it. They also might think he could have a breakout at anytime and outperform his pre-season auction worth.
This is true but let's also look on the bright side. We have the opportunity to go after guys that may be highly talented at other programs and not see the field, whereas before with no portal and NIL, those guys have more reason to stay patient and wait their turn to play as a senior at Alabama, LSU, etc. We already see some fruits of this with Christian Leary, Ayo Tifase, and EJ Lightsley transferring early in their career as FR/SO rather than waiting in line at another program.

The issue is, with that sort of shuffling around, we are relying on potential rather than proven results. So all the more reason to make sure we retain our coaches. Now that a D1 starter can cost hundreds of thousands a year, I hope the admin sees the value in spending more to keep a Weinke, a Geep Wade, a Brumfield around to make sure that talent reaches their potential.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would never schedule a future OOC opponent that has poached a player from us. Ole Miss would go to the top of the list. Not anything we can do about poaching done within our conference. Tampering is a real threat and ncaa has no authority anymore. Enforcement and compliance was supposed to be by agreement among the Presidents of the member institutions. What a joke that has turned out to be. It's now determined by lawyers and the courts.

slugboy

Staff member
In Italian it would be the following based off of a quick internet search.
The phrase "what will be, will be" in Italian is "quel che sarà, sarà"
So, I looked—it’s ungrammatical in French, Spanish, and Italian. Maybe Latin, too. It’s an English version of what someone thought it would be in a language they didn’t really speak.

TIL

Apologies to those of you looking for portal info. Not a lot going on right now