Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What is your least favorite pass play? My least favorite play (not a pass) is when the offense gets a big play to make it first and 10 and then hurries up to the line to run up A-gap out of shotgun making it second and 9. Happens all the time and is maddening to watch
Quick throw out to the sideline that seems like it gets instantly tackled everytime

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Quick throw out to the sideline that seems like it gets instantly tackled everytime

Demaryius thomas however did have several touchdowns off the sideline smoke route. The key is being able to get the ball basically 35 yards on a rope out to a receiver that has a corner playing off of him before the corner can close. This is why it worked really well with nesbitt's arm strength.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Demaryius thomas however did have several touchdowns off the sideline smoke route. The key is being able to get the ball basically 35 yards on a rope out to a receiver that has a corner playing off of him before the corner can close. This is why it worked really well with nesbitt's arm strength.
And Thomas's stiff arm. I loved his ability to pile drive the corner into the ground with one arm

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It worked then because 90% of the time the DB was waiting for DT to run-block him into oblivion

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I have this theory that most of these big receivers played high school basketball down low near the basket. They learned the secret to rebounding is body work and positioning. You can see it when these guys win the one on ones. Most of the work is done before the jump.
That’s why I love when OL/DL recruits wrestled in high school

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Sophomore Michigan TE/ST athlete from Germany, who has been working out at GT with A. Semo our PlaceKicker. From Rabun Gap.
Very interesting. TE is not a huge position of need with Goede and Hawes incoming, but this guy would be a major target. Excellent size (6-6, 250) and was well regarded as a prospect (offers from FSU, UGA, Ole Miss, Louisville, GT) but hasn't seen the field.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
AJC article from yesterday lists Zeek Biggers as among the departing transfers. I don't recall seeing that previously. Disappointing and another big loss to the DL. I hope the new staff can find some players on the roster.

"Tech lost linebacker Paul Moala, safety Jaylon King and defensive back Myles Sims to graduation. Defensive backs Kenan Johnson and K.J. Wallace and defensive linemen Zeek Biggers, Kyle Kennard and D’Quan Douse were among the Jackets that transferred out in the offseason leaving plenty of holes to fill going into 2024."

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
AJC article from yesterday lists Zeek Biggers as among the departing transfers. I don't recall seeing that previously. Disappointing and another big loss to the DL. I hope the new staff can find some players on the roster.

"Tech lost linebacker Paul Moala, safety Jaylon King and defensive back Myles Sims to graduation. Defensive backs Kenan Johnson and K.J. Wallace and defensive linemen Zeek Biggers, Kyle Kennard and D’Quan Douse were among the Jackets that transferred out in the offseason leaving plenty of holes to fill going into 2024."

That seems odd. Zeek remains listed on the roster, and the portal is currently closed. Unless he graduated early and is looking to be a grad transfer.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Interesting. No word from his Twitter on any changes - but who knows? Would definitely be a big loss.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

He is also, in that same section 4 of that article, shown as coming back. I already sent Chad a message stating it can't be both ways 🙂

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
Our of curiosity, what is it about that particular play that frustrate you. I think a 1 yard gain on any play after a 10+ first down is hard to stomach on any called play. Are you more just saying that particular situation is you least favorite?
The offense just got a big play so it seems like they are rolling. They run up to the line to catch the defense off guard either by personnel or scheme. They all look over to the sideline to get the play call which will capitalize on the momentum they just created. They do the most vanilla play imaginable from the worst formation to run straight ahead in (I know that draws or runs from shotgun can be successful). I just think it’s frustrating (or funny depending on which side you are on) to see the offense try to gain an advantage by playing quickly only to completely shoot themselves in the foot and be immediately off schedule. And everyone knows the run is coming

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He is also, in that same section 4 of that article, shown as coming back. I already sent Chad a message stating it can't be both ways 🙂

Oh, great. Hopefully it was just a typo and he is returning. I'm looking forward to seeing Zeek play his best ball yet. I believe we have some returning players on defense who are ready to step up and be the next breakout stars. Zeek is a big one. (Pun intended)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oh, great. Hopefully it was just a typo and he is returning. I'm looking forward to seeing Zeek play his best ball yet. I believe we have some returning players on defense who are ready to step up and be the next breakout stars. Zeek is a big one. (Pun intended)

The article has been corrected.. Also, FWIW, Biggers is still on the football roster whereas the others who transferred out are not.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
This was a false alarm for now but sadly due to the recent court injunctions, I do not think there are any rules about tampering...someone could literally walk up to him tomorrow on campus and hand him a plane ticket and a large check for as soon as the portal reopens. Seems like that happened this time last year with Akelo Stone

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
This was a false alarm for now but sadly due to the recent court injunctions, I do not think there are any rules about tampering...someone could literally walk up to him tomorrow on campus and hand him a plane ticket and a large check for as soon as the portal reopens. Seems like that happened this time last year with Akelo Stone
I would bet this essentially has already happened in one way or another. We likely just didn’t outbid what the market wanted for Akelo the way we probably did for Zeek.

I would imagine each year going forward, our top producers or their parents get a phone call or whatever from some SEC or B1G school (like singleton’s parents openly did) , offering a good amount. It’s then a discussion between coaches whether they are worth that money or not.

I think Zeek’s immovable hole plugging style is really sought after, and our couches know it. They also might think he could have a breakout at anytime and outperform his pre-season auction worth.