Transfer Kicker - Brent Cimaglia

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

CAREER HONORS

2020 Lou Groza Award Preseason Watch List
2020 Preseason All-SEC First Team (Athlon, Coaches, College Football News, Phil Steele)
2019 Lou Groza Award Semifinalist
2019 All-SEC Second Team (Coaches, PFF)
Lou Groza Award Star of the Week (11/4/19)
2019 Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll
2018 Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll
2017-18 First Year SEC Academic Honor Roll

CAREER

One of the nation’s top kickers and one of the greatest at his position to ever don the Orange and White … A 2020 preseason All-SEC First Team selection by several publications … Has made 46-of-62 career field goal attempts for a 74.2 percentage, which ranks third in program history … His 46 field goals made ranks eighth in UT history and are five shy of the top seven … His 62 attempts are eighth in school annals … Is 88-of-89 on PATs for his career … Tallied 226 career points, which ranks 11th in program history … Is 4-of-6 on 50+ yard field goals with a career-long make of 53 yards (11/2/19) … From 40+ yards, is 18-of-29 (62.1) and 16-of-22 in the last two seasons … Three-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

2020 – SENIOR

Tennessee's starting kicker who played in eight games despite dealing with injuries ... Opted out of the final two games in order to focus on his health ... Made a 47-yard FG and totaled five points at #23 Auburn (11/21) to move into 11th on UT’s career scoring list ... Was 2-for-2 on field goals at Arkansas (11/7), converting from 50 and 48 yards ... Made his only field goal attempt (33 yards) and both PATs vs. #2 Alabama (10/24) ... Went 1-2 on field goals and was a perfect 4-4 on PATs in season-opening win at South Carolina (9/26).

Deleted member 2897

“But as a transfer, he doesn’t improve our recruiting class ranking.”

Based on the 3-6 points per game we lost due to kicking problems last year, this guy could arguably have one of the largest incremental impacts of our class.

I’d rather have this guy than get a high school recruit who improves our class ranking 1 or 2 spots.

LibertyTurns

Banned
“But as a transfer, he doesn’t improve our recruiting class ranking.”

Based on the 3-6 points per game we lost due to kicking problems last year, this guy could arguably have one of the largest incremental impacts of our class.

I’d rather have this guy than get a high school recruit who improves our class ranking 1 or 2 spots.
OK, if we have XP & FG kicking issues this year there’s only 1 place to look.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The holder matters too. Especially when the snap isn’t ideal

Fabulous. First football post I've looked at in a while and the best. Worth a couple wins a year.

Last year the snap and holds were generally very good. That wasn't the problem. It was blocking and kicker kick height, accuracy and distance. Otherwise elite.

How many years eligibility with COVID? 1 or 2?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Fabulous. First football post I've looked at in a while and the best. Worth a couple wins a year.

Last year the snap and holds were generally very good. That wasn't the problem. It was blocking and kicker kick height, accuracy and distance. Otherwise elite.

2 if he wanted.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

1 year I’m pretty sure. He never redshirted

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

This is the thing many fans have overlooked. Initially, there were a couple of kicks with a low angle, yes - but the consistent issue with the kicking game last year was blocking. The line wouldn’t have done an experienced kicker any good - much less someone new to the role.

I’m excited to have an awesome kicker coming on board - and hope he does well enough in practice to win the starting role (see: Wesley Wells, who performed on game day but apparently choked in practice with a target on his back). But I’d love to hear more about the work we’re doing to shore up blocking technique for special teams. Seemed like almost every snap last year, someone was breaking through the line past Ryan Johnson (or possibly Jack DeFoor - I remember seeing 70 quite a bit). Drove me crazy every time we kicked.

If we don’t fix that, heck, we could have Harrison Butker back and still have a rough kicking year.