Toughness a defining trait in Georgia Tech quarterback derby

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping Pyron learns some smarts about his toughness also. CBK mentioned that somewhere that they needed to sit him down in front of the computer and do just that.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Here's my opinion on the QB debacle.

Pyron should start vs Louisville since A. He's young and it gives him needed experience in a primetime game. B. He had the most success last year out of who we have.

In the games vs South Carolina State and Bowling Green we can play around with our options a bit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"Debacle"?

Im Not Sure Season 11 GIF by One Chicago

Let's go with 'debate', youngster.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm hoping Pyron learns some smarts about his toughness also. CBK mentioned that somewhere that they needed to sit him down in front of the computer and do just that.
yeah it’s fun and fires the fans up when he runs face first into a defender and bowls over the guy but that’s not something we need our qb doing all the time.

need zach playing september-december not getting hurt and missing the back half of the year

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah it’s fun and fires the fans up when he runs face first into a defender and bowls over the guy but that’s not something we need our qb doing all the time.

need zach playing september-december not getting hurt and missing the back half of the year
Agreed. That one Virginia tech TD dive alone breathed life into the program’s new direction of toughness, and consequently caused a disturbance in my pants, but QB1 needs to slide (unless it’s vs uga)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here's my opinion on the QB debacle.

Pyron should start vs Louisville since A. He's young and it gives him needed experience in a primetime game. B. He had the most success last year out of who we have.

In the games vs South Carolina State and Bowling Green we can play around with our options a bit.
Let the best player in the QB competition during Spring and Summer practices win the starting job. I don't care who it is. None of the QB has a long track record in P5 games and all have some starting experience. I suspect it is a truly open competition.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
T Marshall was physically the toughest qb since Nesbitt. However TM was very inaccurate.

Accuracy on short and midrange passesc is vital.

Assuming that all 3 are about the same in stop, pop, on target.

Toughness i want
After a whoops occurs, i want a qb that is tough enough to quickly recover. Get back and make a good throw BUT DONT FORCE A BAD THROW TO MAKE UP FOR THE whoops

I want a qb that has discipline to take what the defense is giving him. Don't ever make throws into double coverage ( this ain't hs and against good teams this can cost us the game.) If #1 turns out to be megatron- he is always open !

Having physical toughness is hard to measure since we can't know how badly they are nursing an injury.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
T Marshall was physically the toughest qb since Nesbitt. However TM was very inaccurate.

Accuracy on short and midrange passesc is vital.

Assuming that all 3 are about the same in stop, pop, on target.

Toughness i want
After a whoops occurs, i want a qb that is tough enough to quicly recover. Get back and make a good throw BUT DONT FORCE A BAD THROW TO MAKE UP FOR THECwhoops

I want a qb that has discipline to take what the defense is giving him. Dont make throws into double coverage ( this aint hs and against good teams this can cost us the game. Throw it away or run)

Having physical toughness is hard to measure because we can't know how badly they are nursing an injury.
I like where you are going with this.

To me there are multiple levels of toughness required to be successful in sports.

There is physical toughness Can you withstand physical stress? How resilient is your body? How quickly can it recover from injury? How well can you deal with pain? Can you maintain physical endurance and excellence? Can others depend on you to be physically capable of playing

There is mental toughness. Can you handle mental stress? How resilient is your mind? Can you maintain focus, decisiveness, and dependable decision making? Can you slow things down to act appropriately? How well can you deal with chaos? Can others depend on you to be mentally sharp?

Then, there is emotional toughness. How well do handle failure? How well do you handle anger, frustration or disappointment? Can you maintain a calm and positive attitude when things start to fall apart? Can others depend on you to be emotionally stable?

When a person is able to demonstrate all of these, you have yourselves a champion in the making.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

You want the guy that nearly pisses himself and folds like a cheap tent everytime the defenders get anywhere near him whether in the pocket or scrambling? I think we saw enough of that for a lifetime already. Being a QB is not for wimps & fraidy cats. This is football not some kind of sissy sport. We need a QB with some stones.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You want the guy that nearly pisses himself and folds like a cheap tent everytime the defenders get anywhere near him whether in the pocket or scrambling? I think we saw enough of that for a lifetime already. Being a QB is not for wimps & fraidy cats. This is football not some kind of sissy sport. We need a QB with some stones.
I hope no one is going there... a huge aspect of leadership is situational awareness. On 3rd and 2, he needs to know that tough yard is worth it. On second down, not so much... after a 10 yard scramble, don’t take a hit trying to get 12..
Discretion is the better part of valor and all...

JacketFan137

Banned
there’s a reason qbs slide. i don’t want my guy getting blown up every game. any qb is more valuable on the field than in the medical tent. it’s a balance that they all have to figure out based on their athletic ability and physical attributes.

if our qbs were built like cam newton or tebow i might be more into it but our guys gotta get out of bounds and slide sometimes

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Scrambling at risk of a tackle = good

Hurling yourself into a blood thirsty linebacker for an extra yard = preferably for a very needed TD

There’s a difference

3-4years of Pyron is what I want. Not a couple games and a lingering “what if”

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We need a Qb with the ability to quickly diagnose the situation. Good decision making skills, good arm strength, good accuracy. Basically I want a skilled and physically gifted Qb.

We also need an OL that actually does its job so the QB isn't forced to endure repeated hard shots.

Blaming the qb for not being tough enough when he's getting drilled repeatedly is drunk hs gym teacher levels of coaching.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I thought our offensive line performed better with pass protection as the 2022 season wore on. Maybe part of that was Pryon saw the field better and he passed much quicker. That was something Chris Weinke was trying to get the quarterbacks to do during pre-season practice. Of the four quarterbacks, Pryon was the best at that. Credit to Gibson later in the season as his performance improved.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I thought our offensive line performed better with pass protection as the 2022 season wore on. Maybe part of that was Pryon saw the field better and he passed much quicker. That was something Chris Weinke was trying to get the quarterbacks to do during pre-season practice. Of the four quarterbacks, Pryon was the best at that. Credit to Gibson later in the season as his performance improved.
What Pyron has is toughness. He doesn't get happy feet or throw the ball spastically when the pocket closes in.

Yeah, trying to bulldoze a 250 LB is not a good move but it's far worse to have a QB afraid in the pocket or lacking the desire to extend that drive when he has to do it himself. It makes a huge difference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What Pyron has is toughness. He doesn't get happy feet or throw the ball spastically when the pocket closes in.

Yeah, trying to bulldoze a 250 LB is not a good move but it's far worse to have a QB afraid in the pocket or lacking the desire to extend that drive when he has to do it himself. It makes a huge difference.
It makes a huge difference to the team to see qb lay it on the line.