Toughness a defining trait in Georgia Tech quarterback derby

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
During the past 20 years I would rate these three as the toughest QBs.
In no order:
  • Justin Thomas
  • Josh Nesbitt
  • Reggie Ball
Toughest second string QB - Jaybo Shaw.
Good list for the last 20 years. I'd put Nesbitt at the top.
If you went back 25 years, I'd put Lil' Joe at the top. I've seen him dive into the end zone knowing full well he was about to be crushed.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Good list for the last 20 years. I'd put Nesbitt at the top.
If you went back 25 years, I'd put Lil' Joe at the top. I've seen him dive into the end zone knowing full well he was about to be crushed.
The beatings he took vs. FSU were legendary, and i daresay we would have won at least one of those games with todays targeting and QB protection rules in place

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to go back 33 years. Shawn Jones was a baller. Goose was a tough bastard, too.

What’s one thing all these guys got in common? They won games.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So this begs the question: "Did they win games because they were tough, or do we remember them as tough because they won games?"
Good question.
Toughness doesn’t always equal wins but a lack of toughness almost always assures a loss. I’m going with winning because they’re tough.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Toughness is needed. Ball placement is what often separates average to goid to great QBs. An accurate QB can hit an open receiver. A QB with great ball placement puts the ball where the receiver can run while catching the ball or catch is without getting blown up by a defender.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think we saw toughness last year. Playing a play with a broken collarbone is beyond toughness in my opinion. People I have seen immediately after breaking a collarbone have had problems walking. We saw a QB break his collarbone, get back to the formation, catch a snap, and throw a long pass. It was a duck, but I probably would not have even been able to lift my non-broken-side arm up, much less throw a ball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Toughness is needed. Ball placement is what often separates average to goid to great QBs. An accurate QB can hit an open receiver. A QB with great ball placement puts the ball where the receiver can run while catching the ball or catch is without getting blown up by a defender.
Coach M Richt on accn was discussing Sims before season and said his biggest improvment need was accuracy. Said without it qb must it be a great runner and be able to regularly hit long ball. This could be a good year

We

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
During the past 20 years I would rate these three as the toughest QBs.
In no order:
  • Justin Thomas
  • Josh Nesbitt
  • Reggie Ball
Toughest second string QB - Jaybo Shaw.
Wish Jaybo had stayed to become first string for us. Did well at Southern. Also doing very well in the high school coaching ranks now. I can easily see him moving up to a P5 position coach within the next 3-5 years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is absolutely true. NOTHING fires up an OL more than watching your QB put his head down and bull his way to first down marker.
On àlmost have the plays Ol guys have to give up their bodies protdcting the qb. Most of them play with some level of injury. Son s played thru college - has pins in back , broke leg at knee, jtons of ankle, shoulder separstion.
In the sport of motal combat the heavy infantry ( ol) like to see the kings knight wade into the enemy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To me it has to be Nesbitt. He had both physical and mental toughness. JT was more mental than physical and he was one great quarterback for PJ. Josh was one of those guys you would want to go to war with. I hope both those guys have gone on to become successful after football.

Last edited: