Toughest Nonconference Schedules in 2017

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think there was the Tangerine Bowl in Otown well before Citrus Bowl was added.
I remember going to a Tangerine Bowl long ago and far away, and a fellow down front had one of those portable 9-inch or so TVs and watched the game on it. Just outside one end of the then-small stadium was one of Orlando's four million lakes, later to become one of four million sinkholes. A guy diligently sailed a small boat and it seemed every few minutes it would be on the TV as a sales pitch for Orlando tourists. Leave it to TV. The guy had to tack back and forth and back and forth every 25 or 30 yards because it was a very small lake.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I stand corrected. In fact, I think Georgia went to the Tangerine Bowl one year and lost. A common event for the Dogs back then.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a fact. Winning that game pays dividends in so many ways. Cumulatively, the ACC schedule is most important. And I'd take an ACC title over a UGAg victory, however, there is no single ACC game more important than UGA.
If one really wants a brain twister, given that some see beating Georgia more important than winning the big WWII, do we think Tech is better off with Richt gone from Georgia but now coaching at ACC division rival Miami? Frankly I think he can do us more damage at Miami.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We will normally always be high in non-conference SoS because of our philosophy to have another P5 game besides UGA every year...most teams only like to play 1 P5 team OOC. That said, it's also a little inflated because UGA and Tenn are consistently overrated in pre-season, so that factors in too. Of course, I haven't looked at the full list to see where we should rank but I'm definitely comfortable playing that schedule. Hey, a good season with high SoS could put us in the playoffs!

Do not really think anybody that has a "good" season with high SOS gets in playoff. You better have a GREAT season. Look at records of teams making playoffs.

CU might get away with one loss because of where they started season. No way we could ever get in playoffs without going undefeated. A perfect season. That means winning ACCCG and must beat ugag. Way it is.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think Larry Morris was out of Mississippi as well;)

George was from Mississippi. Larry went to Decatur HS. Great men, both.

I remember when we played Ole Miss in the disastrous 1971 Peach Bowl. (Dear God)

At a luncheon for the bowl game, they had Dodd & Vaught up at the head table, somewhat honoring them. Dodd was asked, in a fashion, why he never would go play Ole Miss (Ole Miss would have loved to play here but not every year as Dodd wanted his opponents to do).

His reply, "because they would have beat the hell out of me." But he did get that big Sugar win.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
George was from Mississippi. Larry went to Decatur HS. Great men, both.

I remember when we played Ole Miss in the disastrous 1971 Peach Bowl. (Dear God)

At a luncheon for the bowl game, they had Dodd & Vaught up at the head table, somewhat honoring them. Dodd was asked, in a fashion, why he never would go play Ole Miss (Ole Miss would have loved to play here but not every year as Dodd wanted his opponents to do).

His reply, "because they would have beat the hell out of me." But he did get that big Sugar win.
Thanks for the info about Larry!;) Tennessee halfback and former head coach Johnny Majors once said he was scared to death of Larry Morris,he said he was a real animal:cool: Y.A. Tittle the quarterback of the 1963 Giants would agree when Larry took out his knee.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info about Larry!;) Tennessee halfback and former head coach Johnny Majors once said he was scared to death of Larry Morris,he said he was a real animal:cool: Y.A. Tittle the quarterback of the 1963 Giants would agree when Larry took out his knee.
I didn't know that but I remember seeing that classic Tittle on his knees sans helmet and his head bleeding from such a hit.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know that but I remember seeing that classic Tittle on his knees sans helmet and his head bleeding from such a hit.
That was during a loss by the Giants to the Steelers in 1964.;) Y.A Tittle was benched in 1964 after throwing 10 touchdowns and 22 interceptions retiring after the season. Larry Morris finished his career in 1966 with the Atlanta Falcons. There's a film image of Larry Morris hitting Tittle in the left knee at the 3:07 mark of this video

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That was during a loss by the Giants to the Steelers in 1964.;) Y.A Tittle was benched in 1964 after throwing 10 touchdowns and 22 interceptions retiring after the season. Larry Morris finished his career in 1966 with the Atlanta Falcons. There's a film image of Larry Morris hitting Tittle in the left knee at the 3:07 mark of this video

That was bad and one hopes never to see somebody going after the knee. Good get, though. Thanks.