Toughest Nonconference Schedules in 2017

Eli

Helluva Engineer
To be sure, we have a tough schedule: UGA, Tennessee, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and UNC would be a handful for any program. As fans, we argue constantly about who we want to beat the most all the time. To me, it is often determined by how old you are. Old School guys, like me, want to beat any SEC team especially UGA. The young guns look at conference rivalries like Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson. I see a similar interplay with Florida fans: the older generation absolutely detests UGA and to a lesser extent Tennessee while the younger alumni are consumed with beating FSU who they view as an upstart that basically cheated their way out of mediocrity. My personal preference in order of importance:

1) UGA
2) Clemson
3) Tennessee
4) Virginia Tech
5) Miami

But that's just me. Others will, I am sure differ.

UGA is the most important game every year. I don't see how anyone could argue against that.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Why in the hell is that? I'm more concerned with beating Clemson and the rest of the ACC, best conference proven by the most recent bowl season

I'm not saying those are the two most important games, but rather that if we look back after next season and have wins vs. UT and UGA, then we will have more than likely had a successful season--which would include doing well vs the ACC. A win vs a tough opponent in UT with a brand new QB and a 2nd victory in 2 seasons vs UGA would likely be an indicator of strong performance throughout the year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
UGA is the most important game every year. I don't see how anyone could argue against that.
Right on cue, I suppose, but if any of the regular season games is leading to the conference championship, it is more important. One competes to win titles, not bragging rights while somebody else plays for the ACC title. That's a pretty empty boast. His fan base may not want to hear it but Johnson knows the truth of it and has as much as intimated it. Win 'em all, one at a time, but win titles first.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

This is a fact. Winning that game pays dividends in so many ways. Cumulatively, the ACC schedule is most important. And I'd take an ACC title over a UGAg victory, however, there is no single ACC game more important than UGA.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Right on cue, I suppose, but if any of the regular season games is leading to the conference championship, it is more important. One competes to win titles, not bragging rights while somebody else plays for the ACC title. That's a pretty empty boast. His fan base may not want to hear it but Johnson knows the truth of it and has as much as intimated it. Win 'em all, one at a time, but win titles first.

I should've read this post before I posted. I agree wholeheartedly. Cumulatively, the ACC slate is more important.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I would rather beat UGA than win an ACC championship. I hate them so much. It's like in 2009 yeah we won the ACC but what did you hear as a fan? "Your best team in 30 years couldn't beat our worst team." Win your state and ACC titles will follow

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I would rather beat UGA than win an ACC championship. I hate them so much. It's like in 2009 yeah we won the ACC but what did you hear as a fan? "Your best team in 30 years couldn't beat our worst team." Win your state and ACC titles will follow
to each his own.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I should've read this post before I posted. I agree wholeheartedly. Cumulatively, the ACC slate is more important.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Young guns are much more likely to take the view that the ACC and titles are more important. Old guys AND people who live in Georgia would by and large trade an ACC title for beating Georgia. Beating UGA covers a multitude of sins. Dodd beat Georgia 8 years in a row and very nearly drove them insane. Beat Georgia and the ACC title sooner or later will take care of itself. IMHO

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Young guns are much more likely to take the view that the ACC and titles are more important. Old guys AND people who live in Georgia would by and large trade an ACC title for beating Georgia. Beating UGA covers a multitude of sins. Dodd beat Georgia 8 years in a row and very nearly drove them insane. Beat Georgia and the ACC title sooner or later will take care of itself. IMHO
Well, not a good comparison because Dodd was beating everybody in those yeares and hitting one of only five bowl games in January. I don't live there now but grew up there and "the university's" smugness drove me nuts, but to me it is not even close as which is better. the opt-out obviously is to get both.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If you went to a bowl in those days, you just about had to be ranked. My fuzzy recollection is that they only ranked 10 teams during the 1950s , later increased to 20 during the 1960s and 70s. You had the four major bowls: Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and Rose plus the second tier of Gator, Liberty, Sun, and Bluebonnet. Peach and Citrus were added in the late 60s and early 70s I am thinking. There was major competition to get into a bowl of any kind in those days.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you went to a bowl in those days, you just about had to be ranked. My fuzzy recollection is that they only ranked 10 teams during the 1950s , later increased to 20 during the 1960s and 70s. You had the four major bowls: Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and Rose plus the second tier of Gator, Liberty, Sun, and Bluebonnet. Peach and Citrus were added in the late 60s and early 70s I am thinking. There was major competition to get into a bowl of any kind in those days.

I think there was the Tangerine Bowl in Otown well before Citrus Bowl was added.