Top three GT games you have been to?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Silas Son: It's hard to beat those games. I would rank them in the exact order you have them listed, btw, and would choose the 1969 ugag game over the 1999 game.

Another exciting one you might recall was the 1960 game against Tennessee.

Thx Esso

My original post should, of course, read 1962 vs bama. And , adding to Mr Mack's 62 wipeout of ugag in the cesspool, Gerry Bussell ran wild

I also have to add, with a melancholy tinge, the ugag game of 1963 - a win but Lothridge / Martin last game and GT's last as an SEC member.

Those not there will never appreciate, have a concept, or any idea of what we actually lost that day. No amount of rationalization or excuse making will ever make it right. Only those who have experienced our big wins vs SEC compared to big wins vs ACC teams will understand.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thx Esso

My original post should, of course, read 1962 vs bama. And , adding to Mr Mack's 62 wipeout of ugag in the cesspool, Gerry Bussell ran wild

I also have to add, with a melancholy tinge, the ugag game of 1963 - a win but Lothridge / Martin last game and GT's last as an SEC member.

Those not there will never appreciate, have a concept, or any idea of what we actually lost that day. No amount of rationalization or excuse making will ever make it right. Only those who have experienced our big wins vs SEC compared to big wins vs ACC teams will understand.

It's a damn shame it happened. Dodd had good reasons to do so but it was a misstake, pure and simple. Wish we were still playing Tenn, Aubie, etc... every year. Recently held onto slim hope we'd make it back to the SEC with all of the realignment....not to be though. :(

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
1956 Gator Bowl GT 21 Pittsburg 14 Dodd had them playing volleyball preparing for the game
1962 Ga Tech 7 Alabama 6 Namath stopped at the 1 yard line going for 2
1991 Citrus Bowl GT 45 Nebraska 21 O' Leary told me he wished he could have bottled how ready they were
Did not attend but remember all of them fondly.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
1. 198? Tech-Tennessee: ended in a 6-6 tie at Neyland Stadium. Great game...Roof had like 25 tackles! Carlos Revez kicked about a 47 yard field goal to tie us in the last couple of seconds.
2. 1999 UGA
3. 1985 Fog game. I was 12 years old and after the game my dad ran into former All-American Rufus Guthrie (they played together at The Baylor school). The atmosphere was crazy that night. Roof played a huge part in winning that game. He was injured but made a slew of tackles. Lars Tate was a beast in that game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
1. 198? Tech-Tennessee: ended in a 6-6 tie at Neyland Stadium. Great game...Roof had like 25 tackles! Carlos Revez kicked about a 47 yard field goal to tie us in the last couple of seconds.
2. 1999 UGA
3. 1985 Fog game. I was 12 years old and after the game my dad ran into former All-American Rufus Guthrie (they played together at The Baylor school). The atmosphere was crazy that night. Roof played a huge part in winning that game. He was injured but made a slew of tackles. Lars Tate was a beast in that game.
Yep Ole Rufus was a horse no doubt......remember that game since Tech won and I had Court on Monday and I wore a arm band black of course to rub it in..........geogie lawyers and Judge not happy

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Best 3 I attended would have to be

1990 GT @ Virginia (41-38 #1)-paved the way to the National Championship later that season in the Citrus Bowl (which I could not attend)
1999 GT vs UGa-the Jasper Sanks fumble, the George Godsey FG redux
2008 GT vs FSU---fumbling into our end zone inside the last minute...we went from another crushing loss to FSU to finally holding on and winning one!

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan

Anytime we beat UGA at home......second link is Al's Gary Lee KO return call, I was a SO at GT.....hearing Al's call, tears.....

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
2. 1999 UGA
That Tech. vs Tenn. game was 1985. I remember some strange clock management by the officials when TN was out of TO.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Anytime we beat UGA at home......second link is Al's Gary Lee KO return call, I was a SO at GT.....hearing Al's call, tears.....

Decent unis also.........that sort of gave me the notion that we could play decent football......good year for Tech.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
51-48 OT game vs. UGA, Lil Joe Hamilton vs. Quitsy Carter, Coaching stupidity vs. Oleary, absolutly CRAZY game

Man thanks...........wish we had the guys then ........now.Love the Friedgan offense and Shawn Jones and the wide outs.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
2. 1999 UGA

TN/TN was 1985 I was sitting about 15 rows from the top of Neyland, it's a great time going back and forth with the TN fans ;) I drove up from Atlanta the day of the game and would staying in Alcoa not knowing where I was in relation to the stadium. Took me about 45 minutes to find my car after the game.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
1990 Clempson
1990 Ugag
1991 Citrus Bowl

Hard to beat those three games. That was just a magical year.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
On UGA's forum on SECRant, the 2008 game vs GT was a general-consensus WORST GAME for them. Glad we have a place in their hearts :joyful:

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
That was my freshman year. "Rats on the field, rats on the field...." How many of you know what that means?

During the 80's the most often shouted phrase in the student section was usually "asses on the wood!"

For me:

- 85 UGA game was the best. Had way too much to drink that day since they moved the start time to night. We were still flying high from the 35-18 in 1984. Taped it too. Loved it when the camera zoom in on the "balloon" floating around that was actually a rubber.

- 84 Clemson. Best start in the 1980's ended the next week. Barely got in, had to sit in the old bleachers on the track in the South Stands. Missed the Bama game that year so it cannot go in this thread.

- 85 Auburn. We almost beat Auburn until we got a "Bo"-job in the 4th.

Other than that '85 season it goes down hill fast. Too busy raising kids in the 90's & 00's to go. Been to a few recently to watch one of my kids march in the band.

How's that for a 1st post?