Top three GT games you have been to?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thought this is a good off-season thread to discuss.

For me

1. 2008 FSU game
2 2011 Clemson game
3. 2009 VT game

Runner ups...2009 Wake game, 2004 champ sports bowl, 2009 ACCCG, Miami 2009

I feel like I am leaving some good ones off but this is just off the top of my head.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
1. 2011 Clemson game
2. 2006 Maryland game
3. 2009 Vandy game only because we traveled so many Tech fans to Nashville and took over

I went to every game in 2012 and most of 2013. Regret not going to more games from 08-10 but i needed to save money

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
1. 2009 VPI
2. 2011 Clemson
3. 2009 ACCCG

My runner up is 2009 at UVA because we hadn't won there for a while

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry, I don't remember the year, and it may be before some of you followed Tech. But we played UGA at Grant field, and George O'Leary was our coach. We were tied, but the Donan coached Dawgs were driving with time running out in the game. A field goal and we are toast. But Donan must want a bigger win, so they run Jasper Sanks from our one yard line. He seems to score, but fumbles into the end zone and we recover.

In over time we stop them and have the ball. We line up for a game winning FG. The kick is blocked! UGA fan and players rejoice! But the holder, George Godsey I think, recovers the ball. And it WAS ONLY THIRD DOWN. so we get to try again, we make it, and win the game in OT.

That was my all time favorite.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Sorry, I don't remember the year, and it may be before some of you followed Tech. But we played UGA at Grant field, and George O'Leary was our coach. We were tied, but the Donan coached Dawgs were driving with time running out in the game. A field goal and we are toast. But Donan must want a bigger win, so they run Jasper Sanks from our one yard line. He seems to score, but fumbles into the end zone and we recover.

In over time we stop them and have the ball. We line up for a game winning FG. The kick is blocked! UGA fan and players rejoice! But the holder, George Godsey I think, recovers the ball. And it WAS ONLY THIRD DOWN. so we get to try again, we make it, and win the game in OT.

That was my all time favorite.

I am pretty sure that was 1999. Was a classic.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the 1991 Citrus Bowl (for obvious reasons). Bill Curry's first game at Bama (and the Bear)in Birmingham. the Uga game in ATL in the fog with Gary Lee's KO return for the win (198?) . There's so many others but these three came to mind.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
1998 UVa game. I believe we were down 38-21 going into the 4th quarter. They were in the top 10, something like #6 and Lil' Joe made a miraculous come back and won 41-38.

1999 UGa game where Jasper Sanks fumbled away their dreams of beating us.

Clemson in 2000 I think when Kerry Watkins broke their hearts at Death Valley and I ran up and down the upper deck stands giving them the one finger salute (I know, I am a bit embarrassed looking back on it-lucky I wasn't pushed off).

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
the 1991 Citrus Bowl (for obvious reasons). Bill Curry's first game at Bama (and the Bear)in Birmingham. the Uga game in ATL in the fog with Gary Lee's KO return for the win (198?) . There's so many others but these three came to mind.

Google says 85.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure it was '85. Nasty damp night and I was at my girlfriend's apt. Paid more attention to the game than her, could be the reason we never wound up married :D

OJF - I trust over the years you have been able to readjust your interests in life.

Of the games I personally attended, the 1961 Alabama game. Every win after that was secondary.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Three games?!?

1) FSU 2008
2) FSU 2009
3) Miami 2008

Honorable mentions vpisu 2009, notre dame 2006 (best atmosphere of any game we've had), Maryland game Michael Johnson closed out with two big plays right in front of my seats

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Started following and attending GT games in '02...

1. '08 @ UGA
2. '09 @ FSU (my first/only time at Doak, Bobby Bowden, Nesbitt rips fumble away from FSU LB)
3. '09 @ ACCCG vs. Clemson

Away/neutral site wins propel games up the list for me because you invest so much more time/money/energy as a fan. Honorable mentions are the big home wins ('08 FSU, '09 VPI, '11 Clemson).

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
2008 @ UGA
2011 Clemson
1999 Gator Bowl

That 1999 season was just fun. BDS was a crazy, pumped up place to be that year. I was also close to including one of those early 2000 games under Chan that we punked Auburn.