Top QB's in GT History

Well, this about the list. Pepper Rodgers lettered three years at QB for Bobby Dodd -- '51, '52' 53 -- had a 32-2-2 record, three major bowl wins when bowls were scarce, like six of them total, the Sugar Bowl passing record and the 1952 national championship. In addition he booted a late field goal to beat Baylor in the '52 Orange Bowl, I think it was. As Walter Hagen is alleged to have said to his playing partners, all wealthy hangers-on, after making an ace, "Anybody beat a one?"
Darryl Crawford? Jimmy Southard? If you win 26 or 27 games as a starter, aren't you in the conversation? Ten game seasons, only four our five bowl games available, playing in the SEC?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Darryl Crawford? Jimmy Southard? If you win 26 or 27 games as a starter, aren't you in the conversation? Ten game seasons, only four our five bowl games available, playing in the SEC?
Great ones for sure. The trouble that we have, all of us apparently, is that when the conversation goes to "the greatest ever," we all stop at 20 years, maybe figuring the game really wasn't that good out of our personal memory.

Great ones for sure. The trouble that we have, all of us apparently, is that when the conversation goes to "the greatest ever," we all stop at 20 years, maybe figuring the game really wasn't that good out of our personal memory.
And opinion is colored by "the ones we saw in person". I saw Marvin Tibbett's in my childhood and every quarterback since. We have had some good ones.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And opinion is colored by "the ones we saw in person". I saw Marvin Tibbett's in my childhood and every quarterback since. We have had some good ones.
The first quarterback whose name I learned while watching Tech was Kim King, so he will always hold a fond place in my memories. But it sounds like Crawford may in fact have been the best Tech quarterback ever.

I think he only had one year without Dodd, if I recall. But maybe I am wrong.

No, you're correct. But there couldn't have been more of a change in personalities than going from Dodd to Bud the Dud. And don't forget, Dodd was a College Football Hall of Fame quarterback AND a Hall of Fame Coach and teacher. I just think King's place in history might have been different with that one more year. Hell, he started the Orange Bowl as a junior. In his book he admits to almost leaving the team in his senior year.