Top QB's in GT History

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that the ACC video's list doesn't include a QB for any of the national championship teams at Tech. Perhaps QB as a position is not as absolutely vital to winning a championship as the sum of the parts?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
4. Lothridge 3. Shawn Jones 2. Godsey 1. Joe Hamilton.

Had a hard time leaving Josh off this list for sure! And I'm not sure Lothridge doesn't deserve to be higher!
I was a big Shawn Jones booster so I would have to put him higher. Switch him and Godsey and that would be my vote.

Lothridge doesn't get credit in the modern era because the game has changed so much. But he was a winner, pure and simple. I was surprised the video had Nesbitt on the list, let alone so high on the list. How do you leave off Jones who could run multiple offensive sets, run and pass, and took Tech to their last National Championship?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not prone to make "favorites" lists, but Josh Nesbitt may be my favorite Tech player of any era. I think he was successful by imposing his will and physical strength on others, not because of his talent. So, I would leave him off my best QB list. That said, the fumble take away in the 2009 FSU game may be the play of the century of GT football. I am sure he has a red and yellow "S" tat on his chest.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
1.) Hamilton
2.) Lothridge
3.) Jones
4.) Godsey

#1 and #2 each finished second in the Heisman voting. They are hands down the best two QB's to play for Tech.

Using National Championships as a factor is a bit unfair. That's like saying Dan Marino isn't one of the best QB's of all time because he never won the Super Bowl. People sometimes forget that there are 21 other players on offense and defense that have to do things right to win championships. Shawn Jones was a great QB for Tech, but I think the defense in 1990 played a much bigger part than Shawn Jones did in winning the National Championship. We gave up 15.5 points per game. If we did right now we'd be blowing everyone out

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We don't win that NC without Jones, he was a crucial force as an experienced Jr. QB.

Winning at #1 UVA with 41 points, does not happen without his leadership and play making abilities. Scored many points that season, throughout his career!

26-9 in his last three seasons.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We don't win that NC without Jones, he was a crucial force as an experienced Jr. QB.

Winning at #1 UVA with 41 points, does not happen without his leadership and play making abilities. Scored many points that season, throughout his career!

26-9 in his last three seasons.

Understood. I didn't say he wasn't a great QB. I just said he's not the best we ever had. You could also say that we lose to Clemson, UNC, and VT with an average defense. That defense was incredible and had so much to do with that season.

Hamilton was ridiculous. How many game winning drives did that guy lead in three years as a starter? He and Calvin are the two best players to ever play football at Tech.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a big Shawn Jones booster so I would have to put him higher. Switch him and Godsey and that would be my vote.

Lothridge doesn't get credit in the modern era because the game has changed so much. But he was a winner, pure and simple. I was surprised the video had Nesbitt on the list, let alone so high on the list. How do you leave off Jones who could run multiple offensive sets, run and pass, and took Tech to their last National Championship?
I agree with you about Jones and Godsey. Also agree about Lothridge, who was more of a warrior like Nesbitt than a polished QB.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Alphabetical order:

Hamilton - #2 Heisman voting
Jones - national championship
Lothridge - #2 Heisman voting
Nesbitt - conference championship

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
1)Shawn Jones.
2)Little Joe Hamilton.
3)Mike Kelley.
4)George Goose Godsey.

HM to Rick Strom and Joshua Nesbitt.
No to Lothridge(He dated my Mom, stood me up for a "punt, pass and kick" lesson)!

I always thought it was weird that on Playmakers, there were all those smart moody characters on the team, but the star QB was an ill-mannered chauvinist who was very flaky and lame when dating women.

Furthermore giving a punt, pass and kick lesson to a kid is one of the rare pleasures in life, and should not be skipped under any circumstances.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Joe Hamilton
Billy Lothridge
S. Jones
Justin Thomas - I'm taking a leap of faith. After leading our Offense to the best OFEI Rating in HISTORY (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff ), I believe last season was a precursor of more great things to come.

So many people left Justin Thomas off their list w/o mention that I thought I must have misunderstood the criteria. Certainly long-term effectiveness rating has to go to the other candidates, JT n/a. But it's also true that by reliable metrics, Justin Thomas did run the best offense in the history of CFB last year. Everyone says the Flexbone is all about the QB no matter what the stats are, if that's true then it was quietly one of the greatest seasons by a QB ever. Gotta have at least honorable mention on that basis.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So many people left Justin Thomas off their list w/o mention that I thought I must have misunderstood the criteria. Certainly long-term effectiveness rating has to go to the other candidates, JT n/a. But it's also true that by reliable metrics, Justin Thomas did run the best offense in the history of CFB last year. Everyone says the Flexbone is all about the QB no matter what the stats are, if that's true then it was quietly one of the greatest seasons by a QB ever. Gotta have at least honorable mention on that basis.

The guy's started 14 games. Yeah, he had a great season, but let's give him a chance to build a resume first before we start tossing him in the top four QB's in Tech history

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The guy's started 14 games. Yeah, he had a great season, but let's give him a chance to build a resume first before we start tossing him in the top four QB's in Tech history

...it might be good to see how he does without a bunch of senior running backs and receivers. Not trying to discredit his abilities, just trying to be cautiously optimistic